Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which should I play as for the Generals Challenge? [Pick 3]
This poll is closed.
Laser 60 14.74%
Air Power 34 8.35%
Super Weapons 49 12.04%
Tanks 26 6.39%
Infantry 39 9.58%
Nuclear Power 68 16.71%
Toxin 48 11.79%
Stealth 42 10.32%
Explosives 41 10.07%
Total: 189 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

It's very disappointing that the correct strategy for defeating general Leang is just to superweapon her harder than she superweapons you. When I played this as a kid I thought that I was doing something wrong but not really, it turns out.

I wonder how gla plays against her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Space Kablooey posted:

I wonder how gla plays against her.
SCUD storm spam and lots of tunnels to hide your units in.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well at least I now know for sure I'd have never beaten the challenge levels back then based on this fight alone. I have a hard enough time when the campaign AI gets a single superweapon.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
General's Spotlight #3: Dr. Thrax

Name: Dr. Thrax
Aliases: None
Affiliation: GLA
Voiced/Played by: Uncredited

Utilizing GLA's resourcefulness, Dr. Thrax maximizes their use of the deadly toxins they acquire. Enemies of Dr. Thrax should watch their step, lest they grow a third arm!

Bio posted:

Little is known about the GLA associate codenamed "Dr. Thrax." While background intelligence indicates that he received training as an immunologist in Jordan (allegedly getting his degree from a mail-ordered college), he left academics in 1995 and disappeared into a GLA-controlled ghetto in Cairo. For the past twenty years, he has produced chemical and biological weapons for terrorist organizations across the globe, including the GLA.[1]

Recent eavesdropping on cell phone traffic indicates that Dr. Thrax has become more involved in day-to-day operations of the GLA. He has scattered labs across Asia and the Middle East, where low-cost WMDs are produced and distributed to local terrorist cells. A cautious and scientific personality, Dr. Thrax never sleeps in the same bed two nights in a row and undergoes frequent cosmetic surgery to alter his appearance.[1]

BACKGROUND
❍ Side: GLA-allied
❍ Rank: Unknown
❍ Cell: Unknown
❍ ID Number: Unknown
❍ Homeland: Unknown
❍ Tactical Overview: Biological and chemical weapons
❍ Availability: Skirmish, Generals Challenge, Online

General Upgrades/Changes

-Vehicles Cost More

This only affects certain vehicles. The Scorpion Tank and Marauder Tank, to be specific. The changes are $50 and $100 bucks respectively.

-Toxin Rebels and Toxin Terrorists variants

Rebels now carry toxin packs, rendering them far deadlier against enemy infantry. Toxin Terrorists leave a pool of toxins after their death. (Toxin Terrorists that commandeer a vehicle do not transfer their toxin ability)

-Rockets begin with Anthrax Beta

Cutting out an upgrade makes this pretty useful against any sort of infantry rush, and just good in general.

-Tanks start with Toxin Shells

Although Thrax's tanks are more expensive, you get a nice benefit that offsets that to a degree.

-Access to Anthrax Gamma

Anthrax Beta gets you +25% more toxin damage, and Gamma adds an additional +25%, making Toxins much more effective against even the toughest opponents.

-Toxin Network replaces Tunnel Network

A Tunnel Network that sprays anthrax instead of shooting bullets. Importantly, and often overlooked, the Toxin Network has 15 less range.

-Toxin Traps

$200 more expensive, less than half as destructive, 1.5 times longer to build... but has toxins. Eh. Great against infantry, but that's no different from a regular Demo Trap.

-Scud Launchers and Bomb Trucks must use Toxins

Scud Launchers and Bomb Trucks are about half as effective while using Anthrax Warheads compared to Explosives, although I don't have numbers for the attacks w/ Anthrax Gamma.

-Cannot produce Saboteurs or Hijackers

For me, this isn't a loss, though I can see this making it tougher to deal with stronger vehicles.

A heavy emphasis on Toxins, obviously, and great at dealing with infantry. Not losing the ability to build tanks is important for Dr. Thrax to survive. Getting +50% additional toxin damage can make upgraded Scud Launchers particularly deadly, and a Rebel Ambush that much more of a thorn in a General's side.

Manual Entries

Toxin Network

This type of tunnel entrance is protected by a toxin-based weapon.

Toxin Rebel

Armed with a backpack full of toxin, the Toxin Rebel can dispense lethal chemical or biological weaponry on enemy units, even if they’re garrisoned in a fortified building.

Toxin Terrorist

The Toxin Terrorist is the same as the standard GLA Terrorist, but unlike the Terrorist he explodes in a cloud of toxin.

Anthrax Gamma

A third-generation biological agent, this upgrade has proven to be even more lethal than Anthrax Beta in field tests.

quote:

ARMY MODIFICATIONS
All tanks start with Toxin Shells.
❍ All Toxins begin as Anthrax Beta.
❍ Some missiles are Toxin Tipped.
❍ Camouflaged units or capabilities are unavailable, except for Jarmen Kell.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 11, 2022

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Doing research for Dr. Thrax, I never realized that the Scud Launcher gets EXTRA RANGE for each salvage they have, going from 350 to 450!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

-Tank Drop replaces Cash Hack

Tank Drop is similar to Paradrop, except the scale is 1, 2, or 4 Battlemasters. These also get the effect of Battlemaster Training. Great for reinforcing or harassing.

:hmmyes:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lol that's what happens when I stare at too much text for hours.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Doing research for Dr. Thrax, I never realized that the Scud Launcher gets EXTRA RANGE for each salvage they have, going from 350 to 450!
Oh yes. It's especially fun if you're playing Demolition General, get a bunch of those and the enemy suddenly has real trouble getting any ground units near.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
One of the neat things about Thrax's RPG Troopers is that, unlike regular rocket infantry (regardless of faction), his RPG Troopers have no drop-off on their rockets. Or if it does have drop-off, is is extremely far in comparison to normal troopers. Makes them much more deadly, and, in general, Thrax is considered the second-strongest faction after Air Force. Basically just a considerably stronger, slightly more expensive vGLA that has all the same advantages, just moreso, and more effective things like Toxin Rebel Ambush. Group of even just 8 Toxin Rebels can completely shred lightly-armored groups of Rocket Buggies or Vees. 16 is probably overkill. Losing the Hijacker is a very small loss, since nobody uses those except if you're playing Kassad, and especially especially losing the Saboteur is no issue at all.

Also, is it just me, or does the special laboratory building in Leang's challenge look a lot like the Allied Tech Center in RA1? If it's not an homage, it looks very very close.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I did some googling about those planned but cut boss generals, and near as I can tell, the original plan for each of the bosses was something like this:

General Leang (China): has access to all three tech trees, reduced prices on everything and reduced superweapon timers

General Ironside (USA): has access to vehicles with the best features of all three factions - i.e. an Overlord with American laser point defense and drones and GLA scrap upgrades and camo, that kind of thing.

General Deathstrike (GLA): has all the bonuses and unique units of all the regular GLA generals and none of the penalties or restricted units.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
General's Spotlight #4: Nuke

Name: Tsing Shi Tao
Affiliation: China

The Chinese Nuclear Arsenal is almost completely controlled by this one man. His armies and techniques will wash over you like the glow of a nuclear blast.

Bio posted:

General Tsing gets what he wants, at any cost. Impatient to a fault, General Tsing relies heavily on nuclear technology on the battlefield. Unfortunately, there have been several terrible accidents. While General Tsing was the responsible officer during the Mudanjiang Disaster of 2007, his considerable talents saved his career. General Tsing believes such trials and errors are part of the development process. His divisions are beginning to see the results of his convictions, as a prototype of an Advanced Nuclear Reactor has produced better results. Programs to develop tactical nukes and to promote stability in radioactive isotopes are producing better safety records, which will be well-received by his troops.

BACKGROUND
❍ Side: China
❍ Rank: General, Class AAA
❍ Branch: People’s Liberation Army
❍ Combat Number: 0000-000000-1
❍ Stationed: Base Ox, Chengdu, China
❍ Tactical Overview: Nuclear energy

General Upgrades/Changes

-All Infantry costs more

This doesn't apply to Hackers, however it does increase the Red Guards and Tank Hunters cost by $50 and Black Lotus by $100.

-Helix and MiGs cost more

Helix' cost $250 more, while MiGs cost $200 more.

-Battlemaster and Overlord tanks have Uranium Shells and Nuclear Engines for free

The game wants you to have $4500 worth of upgrades for free, right from the beginning. What's not to like about this?

-Isotope Stability Research available

$2000 to prevent the friendly collateral damage from nuclear waste when tanks are destroyed. I'm curious to know how this works against enemy Nuke generals.

-Tactical Nuke MiG and Helix Nuclear Bombs upgrade available

Giving tactical nukes to MiGs sounds overpowered, though it does take some time to research. Still hard-countered by Avengers. Helix's just swap out the Napalm for Nukes.

-Advanced Nuclear Reactor available

Costing $200 more than a regular Nuclear Reactor, the ANR provides 8 more power than its counterpart.

-Cheaper Nuclear Silo

10% Cheaper is better than nothing.

-Tactical Nuke Carpet Bomber

A higher cooldown timer than the regular version, it deals as much damage on top of leaving nuclear radiation patches.

-Emergency Repair available 1 level earlier

Ho-Hum.

A General that has some good savings for important units, as well as making them generally better. There's a heavy emphasis on destructive power both in alpha strikes from the MiG and Nuke cannon, but with more radiation left behind. Unfortunately, none of the radiation damage is improved as seen with Dr. Thrax.

Manual Entries

Advanced Nuclear Reactor

Technological innovations in energy collection have produced a superior Nuclear Power Plant, which generates more output.

Toxin Rebel

Armed with a backpack full of toxin, the Toxin Rebel can dispense lethal chemical or biological weaponry on enemy units, even if they’re garrisoned in a fortified building.

Isotope Stability

Stress tests in the field have revealed that the nuclear-powered tanks from China are vulnerable and dangerously combustible. The Isotope Stability upgrade delivers cleaner nuclear fuel to tank units.

Tactical Nuke MiG

Purchased at the Nuclear Missile Silo, this upgrade places tactical nuclear missiles under the MiG’s wings.

Nuke Bomber

This modified Carpet Bomber delivers a number of tactical nuclear warheads on target. Residual radiation can be hazardous to troopers in the area.

quote:

ARMY MODIFICATIONS
❍ All tanks start with Uranium Shells and Speed upgrades.
❍ Power Plants generate more power.
❍ Nuke Cannon is available at start.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Nuke MIGs are hilarious however

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
If I remember correctly, Nuke is consider the best Chinese faction by a pretty wide margin. There are players that straight-up ban the nuke MiG upgrade.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Nuke is pretty great but you really have to be careful with Nuke Battlemasters that don't have the Isotope Stability upgrade if you're using them like normal tanks. They're basically pseudo-Bomb Trucks. The explosive radius and the damage is pretty massive for an 800 dollar unit. In fact, lots of players will use Battlemasters precisely like this. Drive a Nuke Battlemaster into a Supply Stash's supply line, and it can just park there and be a pain in the rear end. Nuke General is basically vChina, but better. Don't need to substantially use a different army composition unlike Tank with its more expensive aircraft / infantry or Infantry with its lack of tanks

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Also is nobody else going to point out the Toxin Rebel in the list of units?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

anilEhilated posted:

If I remember correctly, Nuke is consider the best Chinese faction by a pretty wide margin. There are players that straight-up ban the nuke MiG upgrade.

Can point defense lasers still plink away their little nukes? Because that's kinda funny if so.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Akratic Method posted:

Can point defense lasers still plink away their little nukes? Because that's kinda funny if so.

Yeah, its why Avengers are still hard counters. Against a single crusader, a single Nuke MiG will still win.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I may be misremembering from when I was young and dumb, but I think I remember Nuke MiGs in large enough groups teamkilling using their bombs. Send in 4 or so and its fine, send in 20 and the first wave lives (unless the enemy shoots 'em down) but following MiGs get caught in the blast from the earlier ones and die.

I'm probably misremembering though.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Tao's MiGs before the upgrade use missiles that do as much impact damage as those of the normal MiG, but leave a radiation patch instead of napalm, so no firestorms for them. The upgrade makes them hit similar hard as King Raptors IIRC, but with splash and radiation added on. It's kind of a feast or famine thing, as the upgrade makes them hilariously deadl,y but they're jsut flat weaker than normal MiGs without it.

Magni fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 12, 2022

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ashsaber posted:

I may be misremembering from when I was young and dumb, but I think I remember Nuke MiGs in large enough groups teamkilling using their bombs. Send in 4 or so and its fine, send in 20 and the first wave lives (unless the enemy shoots 'em down) but following MiGs get caught in the blast from the earlier ones and die.

I'm probably misremembering though.
You aren't misremembering, the explosion from their missiles does actually hit air targets which tends to have hilarious results whenever massed helicopters are involved. And this game totally has friendly fire.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
General's Spotlight #5: Superweapons

Name: General Alexander
Affiliation: USA
Voiced/Played by: Karina Thomas / Jeannie Elias

General Alexander is the master of "a good defense is a good offense", having many tools to strike at her opponents without fear of retaliation, or simply shutting them down before they reach her base.

Bio posted:

A logistics staffer during the Second Korean War, Alexander attracted the notice of her superiors with her ability to acquire just about anything. Alexander parlayed that ability into a scholarship and a long and distinguished career in the Marines.
To protect supply lines during the first GLA Conflict, Alexander developed a tiered scheme of defenses that did not allow a single strike on any of her supply columns. While hardly efficient in her use of resources, General Alexander makes defense and resource acquisition priorities in the early phases of conflict. The General’s army takes to the offensive only when she has superior offensive firepower that cannot be touched by counterattack.

BACKGROUND
❍ Side: USA
❍ Rank: 4-Star General
❍ Branch: Marines Corps
❍ Class Number: 07121969-HB
❍ Stationed: Fort Freeman, Belfast, Maine, USA
❍ Tactical Overview: Superweapons

General Upgrades/Changes

-Vehicles costs more

This doesn't affect tanks, so Humvees, Ambulances, Tomahawk Launchers, and Sentry Drones. Avengers are probably too high cost to justify an increase?

-Aurora Alpha Available

Similar to Nuke MiGs, but better. They can't be shot down enroute to their target, guaranteeing a hit. The payload of the fuel air bombs are enough to level almost any unit and building in a single hit!

-Colonel Burton costs less

$300 off the price tag for Burton makes him a much more desirable inclusion in your arsenal.

-EMP Patriot replaces regular version

$900 for a defensive turret that can lock down tanks with ease, and against unprotected aircraft, a single rocket is enough to down the plane.

-Advanced Control Rods for Cold Fusion Reactors

Normal CF Reactors are either +5 power unupgraded, +10 with Reg. Control Rods, +8/16 for General Townes, and +5/20 for Alexander. A higher overall investment than Townes, but with a clear advantage over the long term.

-Advanced Nuclear Reactor available

Costing $200 more than a regular Nuclear Reactor, the ANR provides 8 more power than its counterpart.

-Cheaper Particle Cannon

Hmmmm... Would I like 1 Avenger or 80% of a Particle Cannon? :thunk:

-Cannot produce Tanks

One of the bigger limitations for a General, Alexander doesn't have the frontline troop(s) for a head-on fight.

-Leaflet Drop Available Earlier

Does anyone care about this one?

-Spectre Gunship has 3 levels, and is available earlier

Faster to unlock and with upgrades that increase its loiter time. The downside is that the most efficient way to use it would prevent you from ordering troops and things for those increased durations.

General Alexander is interesting, although highly gimmicky. You need to have a map that plays to your strengths, and an inability to turtle effectively would spell an early doom. Something like the Aurora Alpha is quite abusive, though I suppose the caveat is that they are still incredibly expensive.

Manual Entries

EMP Patriot System

The EMP Patriot System can dispense a barrage of missiles that can deliver an electro-magnetic pulse (EMP) shockwave on structures, units, and personnel.

Toxin Rebel

Aurora Alpha Bomber

The newest model of Aurora Bomber is equipped with Fuel Air Bombs. The Aurora Alpha’s fuel explosives detonate in the air over a target, spreading fire across a considerable area. Capable of supersonic speeds, the FAB Aurora can outdistance enemy AA fire.

Advanced Control Rods

Purchased at the Nuclear Missile Silo, this upgrade places tactical nuclear missiles under the MiG’s wings.

Nuke Bomber

Improvements in the design of control rods have resulted in greater efficiency and power output than conventional resources.

quote:

ARMY MODIFICATIONS
❍ Particle Cannons cost much less to produce.
❍ All Vehicles cost more to produce.
❍ Paladin Tank is unavailable.
❍ Crusader Tank is unavailable.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The toxin rebels are infiltrating all the generals' rosters! :derp:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
General's Spotlight #6: Stealth

Name: Prince Kassad
Aliases: Nona
Affiliation: GLA

Preferring to remain in the shadows, Prince Kassad is a master of camouflage and stealth. The GLA has achieved much thanks to this man's ingenuity.

Bio posted:

Prince Kassad has cut a dashing figure across Middle Eastern politics and a violent one in the underworld. This charismatic tribal leader has organized spies and assassins across North Africa to do his bidding. Prince Kassad has been paid millions for assassinations, hijackings, and beatings in the street. For a three-year stretch beginning in 2008, it is believed that no terrorist action was taken on the shores of the Mediterranean Sea without his involvement or blessing. A clever administrator of a serpentine organization, he has never been directly tied to any criminal activity, yet bad things continue to happen to individuals and forces that stand in his way.

BACKGROUND
❍ Side: GLA
❍ Rank: Unknown
❍ Cell: Cobra
❍ ID Number: Unknown
❍ Homeland: Tripoli, Libya
❍ Tactical Overview: Camouflage

General Upgrades/Changes

-Stealth Rebel available

Free stealth for your infantry makes something like the Rebel Ambush much more dangerous if used correctly.

-Hijacker available at start

$200 more expensive to build, and permanently stealthed, Kassad's hijackers are vastly more useful.

-Workers Stealth available

Workers are stealthed provided they are using a cloaked supply stash.

-Camo Netting for Everyone!

Every building can be upgraded with Camo Netting, even the Scud Storm!

-Base Defenses receive Camo Netting for free

Every Tunnel Network and Stinger Site receives Camo Netting when built.

-GPS Scramble available earlier

A Level 3 General ability, instead of Level 5.

-Emergency Repair available earlier

Ho-Hum again.

-Cannot produce Tanks

Kassad does not have access to Scorpion and Marauder tanks, as well as Scud Launchers.

Prince Kassad has no changes to units that would ultimately be a new and improved version, with the Rebels and Hijackers simply having permanent stealth. Interesting, yet the changes imply a purely defensive General in nature.

Manual Entries

None

quote:

ARMY MODIFICATIONS
❍ All structures can upgrade with Camo Netting.
❍ After you purchase Camo Netting at the Supply Stash, workers are camouflaged when collecting supplies.
❍ Camouflage upgrade is available to Rebels at start.
❍ Base Defenses start with Camo Netting.
❍ Hijacker is available at start.
❍ GPS Scrambler is available at Level 3, instead of Level 5.
❍ GPS Scrambler recharges faster.
❍ Prince Kassad does not have the use of Tanks or the Scud Launcher.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
❍ Cell: Cobra

Somehow, this is one that stands out, given the description.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Stealth is weird. He's the only one who can use Hijackers effectively which is probably meant to compensate for his lack of tank and can work alright, but the lack of the Scud launcher really hurts. Also, when you play him you have to be building tunnels literally all the drat time; stealth tunnel creep is basically the only thing he's got going for him. He's probably better than regular GLA but nowhere near the awesome power of Toxin and Demo.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Honestly, the no-tanks penalty doesn't really hurt Kassad that much, since Quad Cannons are a decent replacement for anything GLA tanks can do. Obviously it's not a perfect 1 to 1 but they're decently armored, shred infantry and aircraft, and even in large enough groups can fight decent-sized tank groups, especially once they get AP Bullets. He would be basically worthless if he lost Rocket Buggies, though.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Space Kablooey posted:

It's very disappointing that the correct strategy for defeating general Leang is just to superweapon her harder than she superweapons you. When I played this as a kid I thought that I was doing something wrong but not really, it turns out.

Finally caught up on the last video and yeah, this map sadly just dissolves into counter Super Weapon spam like pretty much all of the others. Shame too, because the map has a very solid oppressive layout that makes every area you take a rough fight and Leang's base has a very neat looking layout. The incredibly small area you have to work with at the start prohibits expansive building and forces you to pick and choose what and where to build things, the GLA have an extra rough time here with static defenses as theirs take up extra room vs the USA or China. The map itself also has a nasty wrinkle with every supply pile outside of Leang's base having less supply then normal, so getting Oil Derrek's and your factions continuous supply buildings or units out is a must for long term play. On lower difficulties the timer for the mass Super Weapon strike is much longer, on Easy you get an insane 60 minutes before they fire, making them almost a non-issue. Leang surrenders when every production building goes down, so as long as you wipe out her dozers, gutting her base isn't too incredibly hard, just annoying. Burton climbing up the cliff face in an area where you wiped out the static defense can do some work at least for USA factions. All in all, its interesting to face a unique boss but once again, it could have been so much more if the game wasn't chopped to ribbons during its short rushed devolvement.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
General's Challenge 05: Nuke/Toxin General Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sdMAmrSQyM
General's Challenge 05: Nuke/Toxin General Part 1

The General's Challenge is a series of missions that follow the same basic theme - What if you fought a specific General from one of the three factions? Each of these Generals brings their own pros and cons, with the challenge being how one deals with them using their own special sub-faction.

N/A

Objective: Destroy all non-defensive structures.

Author's note: General Leang [Pronounced Ling] is an interesting concept with a delivery that falls flat, limited by the AI that runs on scripts, eliminating what potential she has.

Name: General Townes
Affiliation: USA
Voiced/Played by: James Peak / Neil Ross

The laser-focused General that mixes instant damage with power-hungry systems. Getting past his defenses is only the first layer in this man's arsenal!

N/A

Aftermath:

N/A

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
The thing with Townes' base is that so much of the security is at the gates. You kinda have to get lucky, but it's entirely possible to drop a Rebel Ambush right next to his Particle Cannons and capture all of them, and he won't retaliate at all. If you're going in the front, Rocket Buggies are actually more reliable than Scud Launchers because Buggy missiles are considered too small for AA defenses to attempt to shoot down.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sylphid posted:

The thing with Townes' base is that so much of the security is at the gates. You kinda have to get lucky, but it's entirely possible to drop a Rebel Ambush right next to his Particle Cannons and capture all of them, and he won't retaliate at all. If you're going in the front, Rocket Buggies are actually more reliable than Scud Launchers because Buggy missiles are considered too small for AA defenses to attempt to shoot down.

You can't go picking the Toxin General and not use the SCUD Launcher!

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
Looking at your game vs thrax, you probably should have brought along some nuke cannons instead of trying to brute force your way past buildings crammed to the gills with buffed rocket troops. That's where you lost the vast majority of your overlords.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

mr_stibbons posted:

Looking at your game vs thrax, you probably should have brought along some nuke cannons instead of trying to brute force your way past buildings crammed to the gills with buffed rocket troops. That's where you lost the vast majority of your overlords.

Yeah it was definitely a moment of "Things have been going rather well so far" coupled with "Why are Nuke Cannons so slow :( "

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I like how the sped-up menu music turns into some kind of bizarre polka. Goes well with the immortal flametank endlessly trying to burn another tank.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nostalgamus posted:

I like how the sped-up menu music turns into some kind of bizarre polka. Goes well with the immortal flametank endlessly trying to burn another tank.

I forgot to point out that the music changes to each nationalities tune as the camera pans back/over to their section, which is pretty nice of the map-maker.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh neat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKxEO7MUGRI

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

FYI Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars thread is up:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4011859

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Oh, ha! Yeah, new thread is up. :)

Kane... Lives?! Let's Play Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars

Back once more with another entry in the series! Stop on by and wonder just how EA attempted to revive the beloved franchise.

Click Here to go to thread