Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

the sex ghost posted:

Celebratory cans for a5h, KYOON GRIFFEY JR and Tortuga but not Myssu as you picked Vieira earlier on. As runners-up you all get a participation trophy title and I will also put a TRP poster of your choice on 24-hour gardening leave at a time of your choice.

Oh yeah I wasn't trying to change my pick, just deriding the new choices others were making :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jexner
Feb 11, 2010
3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
All my money on nuno.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jexner posted:

All my money on nuno.

Wow so brave

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Jexner posted:

All my money on nuno.

This guy with 42 posts in 11 years has just made mugs out of all of you by being the only one to pick Nuno. Masterful playing of the game by waiting to make his pick. Cool new title coming your way as soon as Im back by my buttons and comedy 4th place probes for the next sacking

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

Parity warning posted:

Nuno Espírito Santo

Parity warning posted:

levy pls do the needful and let me collect my gang tag

:mods:

Parity warning fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 1, 2021

Jexner
Feb 11, 2010

the sex ghost posted:

This guy with 42 posts in 11 years has just made mugs out of all of you by being the only one to pick Nuno. Masterful playing of the game by waiting to make his pick. Cool new title coming your way as soon as Im back by my buttons and comedy 4th place probes for the next sacking

I don't talk much.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

The 10 posters who successfully guess the unlucky winner will be getting this beautiful bespoke gangtag from our very own Bogan Krkic. Maybe I'll chuck in some forum upgrades as well if I can figure out the buttons.

Look at all these Johnny come latelys who want to try and act like they’re a winner

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

This is what happens when you don't update the OP or read posts. No gangtag but you get a bronze medal participation title once the admins wake up

Jexner posted:

I don't talk much.

Post more.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Look at all these Johnny come latelys who want to try and act like they’re a winner

you don't need to finish first in the sack race to be a winner of a bronze medal participation title once the admins wake up but i am a winner of a bronze medal participation title once the admins wake up

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Reckon there’s decent value in a speculative punt on Rafa rn

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

the sex ghost posted:

This guy with 42 posts in 11 years

the wisest of all TRP posters

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Total Meatlove posted:

It’s gonna be Farke

:rip:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
It's insane that the man who's team just got it's first win a week into November was the 4th manager sacked this year.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I'm not sure that this is indeed the place to ask this. But it is the thread about the top flight of English football so I suppose it will do.

I was thinking about the state of English Cricket. And the huge class issue they have. I.E. it is a sport for posh rich bastards, and due to the fact that it is not on free to air TV anymore, and more and more schools not having ovals and a bunch of other factors, (*cough* racism *cough*), most kids don't play it in the streets or at school like they do in India and Australia. This leads to the team being picked by posh elites from a pool of kids who went to the same posh elite schools etc. (There is a famous story about when Mike Atherton was chosen to captain England, the selectors thought they were getting the ex captain of the Cambridge first XI, but instead getting an ex Manchester High School boy.) And English cricket is clearly suffering because of it.

So I was thinking, does the opposite happen with football? Is it seen as a "lower class" thing? Do any posh rich kids get to the top flight? Are there similar issues with picking the captain of England where what school you went to and who your dad knows is just as important as how many goals you score? Is this seen as a good or bad thing?

I apologize if this is a stupid/irrelevant or rude question.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I think the general rule is:

British
Perceived as posh
Academic

gets you a bit of abuse but nothing massive. Just something to base a chant on. Nothing that’d affect your chances of an England call up now, it’s far too results driven to leave out a Fauntleroy-Smythe if he’s scoring 2 in 3.

You can be foreign and posh - Vialli and Mido didn’t get much stick for it from memory. Shaka Hislop working at NASA was a pub quiz thing, so the academics didn’t really matter. Bamford and Graeme Le Saux tick all three boxes and have got stick for it. Doesn’t seem to apply if your dad was a footballer either, weirdly - Lampard used to get questions on his GCSE’s but I don’t think he was ever though of as posh enough for it to matter.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
People thought Graeme Le Saux was gay because he went to university and read the Guardian. That was back in the 90s and footballing culture has changed a bit since then, but not completely. Bamford plays the violin, speaks four languages, and was offered a place at Harvard but turned it down to play football and I don't recall him getting anywhere near the treatment Le Saux got.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

vyelkin posted:

People thought Graeme Le Saux was gay because he went to university and read the Guardian. That was back in the 90s and footballing culture has changed a bit since then, but not completely. Bamford plays the violin, speaks four languages, and was offered a place at Harvard but turned it down to play football and I don't recall him getting anywhere near the treatment Le Saux got.

That same Bamford being a massive cult hero in Middlesbrough of all places show if you're good enough at football nobody will really care.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Rafa's been sacked

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Nobody picked him so nobody gets a hilarious comedy probe

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Probate yourself

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

vyelkin posted:

Yeah I think Le Saux's story is the most similar to the cricket situation in that he was abused institutionally by fellow players and his own locker room and not just opposing fans. And he's talked about how the perceived snobbishness preceded the homophobia, even if the latter came to dominate the source of abuse.

I wonder what would happen now if a hugely exciting youth player wanted to stay in school or go to uni part-time. He'd probably be torn apart by the meathead contingent as lacking the proper desire or something.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Blasmeister posted:

Reckon there’s decent value in a speculative punt on Rafa rn

Should have taken my tip

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Akbar posted:

Yeah I think Le Saux's story is the most similar to the cricket situation in that he was abused institutionally by fellow players and his own locker room and not just opposing fans. And he's talked about how the perceived snobbishness preceded the homophobia, even if the latter came to dominate the source of abuse.

I wonder what would happen now if a hugely exciting youth player wanted to stay in school or go to uni part-time. He'd probably be torn apart by the meathead contingent as lacking the proper desire or something.

for a taste, look at rashford getting stick for literally feeding hungry children in his spare time