Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Cerv posted:

I can't remember a single thing that happened in 2 and never watched 3.
will I be completely baffled if I go see 4 when it's out?

since all of us have seen 4 we can give you a definitive answer to this question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Timby posted:

I think a large part of the sequels' issue is that the Wachowskis fell rear end-backwards into the first movie becoming a darling of philosophy teachers (and freshman philosophy students) seemingly across the world. Obviously there are plenty of themes and quite a bit of subtext going on in The Matrix, but a lot of its so-called philosophy is incredibly superficial stuff; however, people started digging into it like layers of an onion and considering it this deep, meaningful treatise. I've always been convinced that's why much of the dialogue in Reloaded and Revolutions is so stilted and hokey; they felt compelled to fulfill a promise that they didn't make regarding the philosophical undertones of the first movie.

Yeah, it's interesting to compare the 1999 Reloaded script posted upthread to what it turned into after people had a chance to really start talking about the movie. None of the stuff people point to when talking about the overwrought philosophy stuff (like the Architect scene) is in there at all. Like, the original idea for the sequel was a movie where Smith grows a ponytail and turns a biker into Evil Neo.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Robot Style posted:

Like, the original idea for the sequel was a movie where Smith grows a ponytail and turns a biker into Evil Neo.

Lol what

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

quote:

BROWN

"Mr. Thomas J. Anderson is not unique. Over the decades, many humans
have developed... techniques for manipulating the Matrix. Techniques
too primitive for us to understand. Most never realize their
potential, but all the ones we’ve noticed exhibiting these talents are
recorded here."

ANGLE ON the book as BROWN flips through. Street shots of people from
all walks of life. Young rebels, corporate suits, junkies, housewives.

JONES turns on AGENT BROWN.

JONES

"Do you have anyone in mind?"

ANGLE ON the book. It stops on a page dedicated to someone who looks
like NEO, but with long hair and an extremely bad attitude. There are
photos of him on a motorcycle with a blonde, photos of him drinking
with his gang friends.

BROWN

"Gregory Lowfield. He exhibits the traits we saw in Mr. Anderson."

MAN’S VOICE (O.S.)

"Mr. Anderson no longer exists. Our enemy now is the one called...
NEO."

ANGLE ON: THE DOOR

AGENT SMITH walks in, grinning. There is a new swag to his walk, and
his hair is longer, tied back.

BROWN

"You’ve been recreated."

SMITH flexes his arm, examines his hands, and feels his hair.

JONES

"And you have more hair."

SMITH turns to him, examines the photos on the table. They lock eyes.
On the same wavelength, they transfer knowledge without speaking.
SMITH looks at the photo on the table.

SMITH

"I know what you’re thinking. What we need is our own Neo..."

JONES

"If it’s possible."

SMITH

"I’ll make it possible."

WE ZOOM in on the grainy photo of NEO’s doppledanger. Quiet at first,
growing louder as it grows dark, we here the rumble and roar of
motorcycles.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Cerv posted:

we don't know. we're trees.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
first of all that neo biker scene sounds amazing

secondly i kinda hope that 4 goes deep into the sequel lore. reloaded and revolutions are not, uh, good, but it'd be so easy for 4 to do the same thing as the terminator sequels or the batman movies and just basically ignore its predecessors. it's much more fun to see a writer try to get out of the hole they wrote themselves into without cheating

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

There is a slight shift in aesthetics; if the whole series could be described as "grungy techno goth" then Reloaded feels like it dials down the grunge in favor of the tech; the tint is more green, there's less of that late 90s Rage Against the Machine-type rock music and more electronic. I don't know if that's enough to cover it, though.

It's really noticeable if you watch both movies back to back. Matrix has everything being more chaotic, dirty and more lived-in. The subways are messy, you can see trash on the streets, even the main characters ship feels like its been in use for a long time due to the dirt and small junk here and there. poo poo, Neo and Trinity have a meeting at a BDSM bar and you can see a pair of gimps in heavy bondage gear dancing in the background. Contrast that in Reloaded where everything's squeaky clean to the point of being sterile, both in the Matrix and in Zion. I'm not certain if there was a deeper meaning to it (I can imagine the Matrix being clean and sterile to underline its simulated nature), or the studio decided that clean things to make it more palatable to the audiences.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

kind of ruins the concept of “the one” if the agents have a binder full of people who can do the same poo poo

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Cerv posted:

Nah. Neo sacrificed himself for peace between the machines and the humans or something and it was all temporary and none of it mattered.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

indigi posted:

kind of ruins the concept of “the one” if the agents have a binder full of people who can do the same poo poo

strongly reinforces the cyclical and manipulated nature of their environment though.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

indigi posted:

Eh, there were a bunch of potentials in the first movie that just weren't 'the one', so some degree of reality bending power isn't unique to neo.

Really though they wrote themselves into a corner when they gave neo godlike powers at the end of the movie. I don't think (though haven't found any proof one way or the other) that it was ever intended to have a sequel.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I'd always heard that they wanted to do a trilogy, but to make the first movie the middle chapter, and then do a prequel and one sequel to wrap things up. Apparently the studio didn't want to immediately dump all the first movie's characters for a bunch of new ones in the prequel, so they did 2 sequels instead.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Apparently this movie is scrapping the sequels and acts as a continuation of the first film. Kinda like how the recent Halloween film did.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

Apparently this movie is scrapping the sequels and acts as a continuation of the first film. Kinda like how the recent Halloween film did.

any source for this

e: isn’t Reloaded playing on a screen in the background in a trailer, plus the Merovingian is in it

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Synopsis released by WB says it's "a continuation of the story established in the first MATRIX film" and "20 years after the first film, the franchise that helped define pop culture at the turn of the century is back for a continuation and extension of the original movie". This is probably just because they're trying to downplay the sequels since they weren't as well received, but I doubt they're going to be totally discounting them, since stuff like Neo's burnt out eyes are visible in the trailer.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
If they're really treating Morpheus dying in a goddamn videogame as canon, I don' think they're discarding the sequels.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
The Gregory Lowfield script is supposed to be fake. Which is good, because the script has him say I know Kung-Fu and then I quit reading

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

If they're really treating Morpheus dying in a goddamn videogame as canon, I don' think they're discarding the sequels.

they made sequel games?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

indigi posted:

they made sequel games?

The Matrix Online MMO that launched a year or two after the sequels was touted at the time as being the canonical continuation of the series (one of those things where another group of writers had scripted out storylines for like a realtime year of in-game events and missions, and the Wachowskis had "reviewed" them and provided some level of input.)

A lot of it was standard MMO warring faction crap, but one of the first major story events involved Morpheus staging bombings inside the Matrix and announcing that he wouldn't stop until the Machines returned Neo - or at least his corpse - to Zion. During one of these attacks Morpheus was killed by a mysterious figure who had a Neo-level ability to bend the rules of the Matrix. It definitely seemed like he was 100% dead, but Sega and Warner Bros. Interactive sold the game to Sony Online just a few months after it launched and the first thing Sony did was essentially disband the group that was responsible for the live story elements. So if Morpheus' death was meant to be a long-term fakeout, they never go to follow through on the twist. (Same goes for the multiple "Is Neo alive" teases; there were a lot of plot threads about how the Machines were evasive about what exactly had happened to Neo's body after Revolutions and rumors that Neo had somehow reconstituted himself as code within the Matrix.)

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 23, 2021

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Cerv posted:

You need to rewatch all 3 films + the animatrix, watch a story recap of matrix online, then read the comics, and scour eBay and GameStop and find the old matrix games and a system to play them on. Play them
To completion.

Only then will you be truly prepared for the most important cinematic event in a generation

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Noob Saibot posted:

You need to rewatch all 3 films + the animatrix, watch a story recap of matrix online, then read the comics, and scour eBay and GameStop and find the old matrix games and a system to play them on. Play them
To completion.

Only then will you be truly prepared for the most important cinematic event in a generation

how will any of that help with Dune next month?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Cerv posted:

Well knowing a lot about the Matrix might serve to prove that you are a human being without needing a pain box test and a death needle.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Noob Saibot posted:

To completion.

Cerv posted:

lol

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
https://twitter.com/Niftys/status/1455521965180014597

New matrix avatar NFT's... you know what that means..... We can do new matrix avatars in here!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

No fuckin' thanks, wb!!!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Wondering what they've done with metahuman creator here, because it creates very nice regular human faces and not much else.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

josh04 posted:

Wondering what they've done with metahuman creator here, because it creates very nice regular human faces and not much else.

I saw what I assume is a "sample" and yeah it was just a regular rear end person with a bit of tech on their face. I was gonna have the joke be that the avatars I'd give out would all be the actual matrix NFT's except I'd be assigning them for free but it honestly looks like the available choices are going to suck too much rear end so instead I'll make some extra special images for our fantastic users.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I thought they were doing a tie in with chain restaurant Nifty Fifties

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

reignofevil posted:

The Moontrix.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

This was in my inbox this morning.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I mean the machines can do a lot of things but they can't give blood. That's just science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

reignofevil posted:

Nah. Neo sacrificed himself for peace between the machines and the humans or something and it was all temporary and none of it mattered.

Small price to pay for Machine Peace.