Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

dodged this poo poo for four years until my partner and i caught it last week. god i hate this.

my sense of taste is definitely diminished, but the worst parts are the sore throat and the cold sweats that keep me from staying asleep for more than two or three hours at a time. i'm exhausted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Remember that goon who posted a troll about how he got so many covid shots his blood turned into vaccine?

It may not have been a troll

quote:

Here, we report on a 62-year-old male hypervaccinated individual from Magdeburg, Germany (HIM), who deliberately and for private reasons received 217 vaccinations against SARS-CoV-2 within a period of 29 months (figure A; appendix 1 tab 1). HIM's hypervaccination occurred outside of a clinical study context and against national vaccination recommendations. Evidence for 130 vaccinations in a 9 month period was collected by the public prosecutor of Magdeburg, Germany, who opened an investigation of this case with the allegation of fraud, but criminal charges were not filed. 108 vaccinations are individually recorded and partly overlap with the total of 130 prosecutor-confirmed vaccinations (appendix 2 p 12).

The person doesn't seem to have suffered any ill effects* or ever caught covid, so what are we all waiting for

*I guess the vaccine blood part was just a troll after all

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

haveblue posted:

Remember that goon who posted a troll about how he got so many covid shots his blood turned into vaccine?

It may not have been a troll

The person doesn't seem to have suffered any ill effects* or ever caught covid, so what are we all waiting for

*I guess the vaccine blood part was just a troll after all

Was it one of those people who took vaccines for other people?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I want to know if he's gotten covid

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Riptor posted:

I want to know if he's gotten covid

Paper says he didn't

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

spankmeister posted:

Paper says he didn't

well then this dude is awesome

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

Paper says he didn't

Scoreboard

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That guy is still wiser than three out of every four people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 34 minutes!
Crossposting from TBB as it's of shared interest. I'm planning to get back to my antivaxx bookshelf summaries in the next couple months. It's not as if our buddy RFK has become less relevant!

Discendo Vox posted:

Until Proven Safe: the history and future of quarantine, from the black death to the space age by Geoff Manaugh and Nicola Twilley
God, I must be going soft- a lay-facing pop sci book that I mostly liked! This married authorial team pulled together a number of years of research and writing, some for the BLDGBLOG blog on architecture, to provide a well-reported and fairly detailed accounting of the history and practice of quarantine from a wide range of directions, ranging from early medieval practices to COVID responses to more exotic stuff like the steps NASA takes to try to keep our astronauts from giving the moon STDs. The timing was auspicious, since they had the chance to interview people doing global pandemic work for years and weeks before COVID hit, and still had time to significantly talk about the COVID response as well.

The authors generally have the right opinions and some degree of nuance. The book criticizes the Trump COVID response and, throughout, highlights historical bigotries and injustices that intersected with the history of disease. The authors do correctly identify some (very broad) policy recommendations. A theme that emerges toward the end of the book is that the authors are unfortunately too credulous with their audiences, something that's made especially clear in interviews with public health officials pre-COVID, and with tech surveillance firms like Palantir post COVID. While the last part of the book is critical of big tech surveillance solutions to quarantine (citing Foucalt more than I'd like), there's still not really sufficient depth of discussion because so much is more poppy gee whiz here's how this worked reporting and controlled interviews with current officials. A better book would spend more time on the concrete elements of epidemiology and associated policy, but then the authors probably wouldn't have been able to tour Italian lazarettes. A good read (with a good bibliography), but not incredible.