Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

punk rebel ecks posted:

Are there any successful Linux phones?

Yes I know Android is technically Linux, but you know what I mean.

Gotta be reaaaaal specific about what your success criteria are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

nexxai posted:

lmao u are not exactly tim apple's target demo

I know this. The weird thing about Apple now is that if you want to try some of the best mobile games, or you want to use the best smart watch, or you want a kinda nifty credit card you have to put up with your life focused around this device that's like "we don't want to have those utilities you find on Android and we don't want you self-installing them either." Apple's response to Epic was basically "go use Android if you want emulators or one of those apps that browses manga sites or 4chan or whatever, we hate sideloaders" but at the same time they have added so much ecosystem stuff starting with the iPhone upgrade plan that divorcing yourself from Apple is actually a long and involved procedure.

I've already decommissioned my Apple TV for the Google alternative, and my phone is next, though I'll probably be buying iPads forever having been burned in that category before.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 15, 2021

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

I know this. The weird thing about Apple now is that if you want to try some of the best mobile games, or you want to use the best smart watch, or you want a kinda nifty credit card you have to put up with your life focused around this device that's like "we don't want to have those utilities you find on Android and we don't want you self-installing them either." Apple's response to Epic was basically "go use Android if you want emulators or one of those apps that browses manga sites or 4chan or whatever, we hate sideloaders" but at the same time they have added so much ecosystem stuff starting with the iPhone upgrade plan that divorcing yourself from Apple is actually a long and involved procedure.

I've already decommissioned my Apple TV for the Google alternative, and my phone is next, though I'll probably be buying iPads forever having been burned in that category before.

If you don’t care about every piece of your data being mined, a buggy operating system full of bloat ware, Qualcomm chips that have hardware security issues over and over, and updates being unreliable then ya, anroid is fine I guess lol.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Ugh, why no airpods. :(
Oh yeah. There was quite a bit of talk about them being updated too, wasn’t there.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

There’s nothing stopping you maintaining a cheap Android device for those times you feel like you need to be a ~power user~ or have total control over the theme or widgets or whatever, or run emulators, etc (you can do that on an Apple TV I believe). Jailbreaking is a thing too, if you’re so inclined.

The ecosystem stuff you talk of is exactly why their stuff works together so well, and the fact that it’s a “long and involved process” divorcing yourself from it could be argued as a good thing, couldn’t it?

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Where are my AirPods Tim!! :mad:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Durzel posted:

There’s nothing stopping you maintaining a cheap Android device for those times you feel like you need to be a ~power user~ or have total control over the theme or widgets or whatever, or run emulators, etc (you can do that on an Apple TV I believe). Jailbreaking is a thing too, if you’re so inclined.

The ecosystem stuff you talk of is exactly why their stuff works together so well, and the fact that it’s a “long and involved process” divorcing yourself from it could be argued as a good thing, couldn’t it?

I think there's certain things that actually do work well together, like the AirPods or the chip that's in them and some Beats things that bypasses Bluetooth pairing. AirPlay is nice, when it works. There's a lot of iffy stuff though, and a tech company offering a credit card that keeps you married to their tech if you haven't paid off your debt is actually kinda gross.

quote:

Jailbreaking is a thing too, if you’re so inclined.
It really hasn't for a few hardware generations now, and one could argue that if you're opening up root access to a phone on a system with known RCE exploits like this week's iMessage hack just to be able to run select apps as a user then you should just find a new OS already*, so that's what I'm doing.

* This isn't an issue at present with checkra1n devices since they can get 14.8 as the root vulnerability is in the hardware, but this is only a reasonable solution for a little while longer.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

RIP the XR, a phone i got less than one year ago. It is big, cheap and the battery lasts ages. An 11 is around the same price but smaller and has a better camera setup. I like having the big dumb cheap iPhone.