Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Mokotow posted:

You should absolutely watch it. Even the Terminus story is better.

Can I watch season 2 without slogging through season one? (I’ve only seen two episodes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Watch the Empire sections of Season 1 at least, and also Gaal + Seldon in the latter episodes.

I started reading the first book and, boy! I like it, but it’s very different. The creators of the show said they have read the books a lot, so I trust there’s a long term reason for having such a diversion, especially for Seldon continually to be an active participant rather than just having a few recorded messages.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Seldon being a more active participant is almost certainly 100% on Jared Harris

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Seldon being a more active participant is almost certainly 100% on Jared Harris market research

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
I liked how Season 2 began with Brother Day going full Caligula Mode and loving his robot mom.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

that's a really annoying way to do spoiler tags

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I like season one a lot more now that I've seen season two and I think it's essential

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Finished the first book, and it’s funny to me that it keeps saying stuff like this:

“This is a Seldon crisis we’re facing, and Seldon crises are not solved by individuals but by historic forces. Solutions to the various crises must be achieved by the forces that become available to us at the time.”

a criticism I often saw from book fans about the show was this idea that it highlighted the actions of individuals too often to solve these crises. Yet the book can be summed up as “Salvor Hardin and Hober Mallow solved crises by being the lone voice of reason and taking huge risks”.

That said, I do accept that there is a lot more “messing with the plan” thanks to Gaal and Seldon being actively involved in the story, but that’s probably necessary to keep the audience’s attention through a long running show, versus a series of short stories as it was originally conceived.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

This is book and not show related, but I just had an article come out in an online open-access journal about reading the Foundation novels (mainly the original trilogy) through a solarpunk lens. I'll say I did originally want to include a bit about the show (and Apple TV's Extrapolations show also) but due to the word count limit, I just wasn't able to fit it in. Anyways, I thought at least some people here might enjoy it, so I'll drop the link here. Though there are some book spoilers, if anyone cares.

https://hcommons.org/deposits/item/hc:62961/

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

This is book and not show related, but I just had an article come out in an online open-access journal about reading the Foundation novels (mainly the original trilogy) through a solarpunk lens. I'll say I did originally want to include a bit about the show (and Apple TV's Extrapolations show also) but due to the word count limit, I just wasn't able to fit it in. Anyways, I thought at least some people here might enjoy it, so I'll drop the link here. Though there are some book spoilers, if anyone cares.

https://hcommons.org/deposits/item/hc:62961/

thanks, pretty cool read. I'd never heard the term solarpunk before.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

BetterLekNextTime posted:

thanks, pretty cool read. I'd never heard the term solarpunk before.

I bet solarpunk music is wack.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Chairman Capone posted:

about reading the Foundation novels (mainly the original trilogy) through a solarpunk lens.

I'm not entirely sure what exactly a solarpunk is, but playing with lenses around one sounds like a great way to accidentally start a fire. :buddy:

(That was a cool read, thank you!)

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Troy Kotsur joins the season 3 cast as Preem Palver, the leader of a planet of psychics. Can’t say I know the guy but he does have that “I think I saw him before” face.

Good to hear some news.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Mokotow posted:

Troy Kotsur joins the season 3 cast as Preem Palver, the leader of a planet of psychics. Can’t say I know the guy but he does have that “I think I saw him before” face.

Good to hear some news.

Troy Kotsur is the first Deaf man to win an Oscar for acting

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Goyer is out as showrunner after budget clash. He will remain a writer. Producer Bill Bost will step up to take over his role.

Surprisingly, the show already shot half of it’s season 3 material before the writers’ strike. They’ll continue shooting the rest now.

I also had no idea that it’s shot in Prague.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/foundation-david-s-goyer-steps-down-showrunner-season-3-1235834630/

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
It was funny going back through the podcast about the show and it felt like every other episode was some story like “we did this elaborate shoot on one remote island in the Canary Islands. The other half of the scene was another island in the Mediterranean off the coast of Greece, so we had make it look like the first island by bringing in tons of black sand”

So yeah, this news tracks. It’s probably going to be more green-screen / Volume too. Hopefully there’s still the same level of attention given to it; it seems Goyer has a well thought out plan for the overall show.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I was surprised to find they’re filming the next season starting next week in my hometown Warsaw in Poland. They’ll do a week of filming at the Divine Providence Temple , which is a huge modernist concrete building we affectionately call “the juice squeezer”. They’ll also do filming at the POLIN Jewish museum which has some fantastic Foundation-style interiors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Divine_Providence?wprov=sfti1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POLIN_Museum_of_the_History_of_Polish_Jews?wprov=sfti1

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Ooof, they're just now starting to film? I don't know why but I thought that was in progress or done. Going to be awhile.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Judging from the locations, it looks like these are external scenery shots. Might be just as well that all the soundstage work has been complete. Interestingly enough a large part of the show seems to be filmed in studios in Czechia with a local crew of around 300 people.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm a couple episodes into the 2nd season. I was baffled by Salvor's decision to find Gaal. She's your egg donor, who cares? Everyone you (apparently haven't) loved is dead.

I never read the novels. Is "psychohistory" just a religious prophecy in the novels, too? Seldon assures me that his predictions are backed up by the math. "The Math" is a psychedelic hologram that looks kind of like a DNA helix.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

I never read the novels. Is "psychohistory" just a religious prophecy in the novels, too? Seldon assures me that his predictions are backed up by the math. "The Math" is a psychedelic hologram that looks kind of like a DNA helix.

It's real in the books; the :techno: is that a sufficiently large amount of human beings (the Galactic Empire size large) can be examined statistically etc. in order to make predictions about large-scale events. It works until an unexpected event happens that derails the axioms of psychohistory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 24 days!)

Binged on this over the weekend. I think it started out interesting and better than S2. The bit about how Foundation spreads influence was cool and I wish they had leaned more into it and showed an example of how some priests doing parlor tricks for commoners can eventually lead to the whole planet aligning itself with Terminus. Poly and Constant had a great dynamic and had strong screen presence. Titan's Prick scene was pretty funny.

Things just went downhill from there though, and towards the end I was basically hate-watching just to finish it. The way Hari could exist in multiple places, and the way he suddenly acquired a physical body, made it difficult to care about what happened to him. Hari is on the other side of the galaxy as a projection! Oh wait no, he's also here because of this magic device. Hari can't interface with the physical world and needs one of the other characters to open doors for him, so there's at least some limitation to him being a deus ex character! Oh wait no, he has a body now. Hari is dead! Nah, he's not actually. Etc.

The space battle scene was extremely poorly done to the point where it was just infuriating and cringey. At first everyone is like, "Terminus is surrounded and defenseless! They have the Invictus but it's useless! Oh wait, it just came online! It is concentrating ALL of its firepower on the Empire flagship!!! They also brought in whisper ships guys! Those sure sound scary! Scramble fighters!!11!" And then one pilot is apparently able to single-handedly disable the whole Invictus by himself. Zzzz... And then crashing it to the planet somehow destroys the entire planet?? But then nobody actually dies because Hari teleported them into his magic castle? Just unbelievably lazy writing all around. Comically bad.

The only interesting plot point was Demerzel's. I appreciated that her background was explored more, and the irony of humans destroying and outlawing robots, only to have their entire galactic empire controlled by the last remaining one, was pretty delicious. So there's some promise to S3, especially now that Salvor is gone (hopefully for good - the weakest actor on the show IMO) and we get The Mule.