Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
We saw the movie last night. It was pretty good. Not as daring in scope as the Simpsons movie was, and not as off-genre as the South Park movie was, but it was enjoyable and funny.

I did like that the financial issues that the Burgers face actually seemed to have weight this time. Usually, it's just a sitcom joke with no consequence. "We're broke because nobody buys the goods and services we offer; how will we ever pay the rent? PAUSE FOR LAUGHTER!"

It felt like there were real stakes this time. That's pretty good since sitcom rules still apply, and there was bever any actual danger.

The stakes also felt real with regards to the attempt at quintamurder. Overall, I found going to the theater to watch it a fun way to kill a couple of hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

tarlibone posted:

The stakes also felt real with regards to the attempt at quintamurder.

It's a cartoon, but I thought it was awful hokey to hold them all hostage with one little micro speargun that was used to play a kids game.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

ChesterJT posted:

It's a cartoon, but I thought it was awful hokey to hold them all hostage with one little micro speargun that was used to play a kids game.

It tracks with with basically none of the characters being particularly brave or capable.

Also, I don't want to see an actual gun being pointed at my favorite cartoon kids. Just gently caress guns forever in any piece of media intended for family consumption

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It tracks with with basically none of the characters being particularly brave or capable.

Also, I don't want to see an actual gun being pointed at my favorite cartoon kids. Just gently caress guns forever in any piece of media intended for family consumption

While I don't share the sentiment of excluding guns from any piece of media intended for family consumption because context matters (everything from "don't play with guns" to "there's a gun in someone's hand because America" to hunting safety instruction, which might not make sense if you didn't grow up rural), I do agree that in this case, having a real gun would have been pretty bad. I don't want a gun pointed at the Burgers. And yeah, I know their name isn't "Burger." But even so, don't point a cartoon gun at them.

The handling of guns here was actually pretty good:

• The murder victim was shot to death. They know which gun fired the round that killed him, and they know whose gun it is.
  • You never see the shot or the gun. You don't see the actual shooting, unless I missed it.
  • When it's time to put Bob & the Burgers in jeopardy, the only gun used is a carnival-grade spear gun
  • Said spear gun has only one shot, and it isn't used to injure a person directly

For a family show, I like this. There's a time and place for guns in movies; Bob's Burgers isn't one of them.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 6, 2022

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Oh hey thanks for the spoilers

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, what the gently caress?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I'll put spoiler tags in as a courtesy, but I didn't feel the tags were necessary because the movie's been out for over a week.

Is there a rule on how long we have to use tags?

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Has it been released outside of theaters yet? I can think of a great reason people would want to wait for a home release.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

SpiderLink posted:

Has it been released outside of theaters yet? I can think of a great reason people would want to wait for a home release.

So from now on, don't talk about movies without spoiler tags until they're available on streaming. Got it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s also that this isn’t a thread specifically for the movie, but a thread to discuss the show that also has movie discussion.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s also that this isn’t a thread specifically for the movie, but a thread to discuss the show that also has movie discussion.

Doesn't really make a difference does it?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The opening number is on Youtube via an official channel if you want to check it out. You can see all the extra animation in the dancing and whatnot, also it doesn't spoil anything plot wise so enjoy!

https://youtu.be/DGqRffMMaLM

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Bob getting an entire country instead of a bird sounds like something that would happen:
https://twitter.com/BrammerAyse/sta...ingawful.com%2F

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Bob getting an entire country instead of a bird sounds like something that would happen:
https://twitter.com/BrammerAyse/sta...ingawful.com%2F

Bob: So...uh...it turns out we may have been...we may have been saving Turkey, not a turkey.

Louise: How is a turkey not a turkey?

Bob: No, the country...

Gene: When it's Turk-ish!

Bob: Gene...

Tina: Turkey should've talked turkey.

Linda: Like in Turk 182!

Bob: I better go back to the butcher shop.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/bobsburgersfox/status/1544758184836943877?s=21&t=-X7LLvGM3RiO_8Es89173g

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Speaking as an immunocompromised person, I'm beyond stoked.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Finally watched the movie and I thought it was perfect for the show. The first song in particular was really great.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Watched the movie. Overall I thought it was good.

However I wish they hadn’t just rehashed the plot of How Bob Saves/Destroys the Town – Part I/II. I mean I get it... They’re good episodes. But couldn’t they have done a new plot for the movie?

Also I’m disappointed that even in a big budget movie they still can’t get Bill Hader back as Mickey.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Zero One posted:

Also I’m disappointed that even in a big budget movie they still can’t get Bill Hader back as Mickey.

I thought it was him. :confused:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Ballz posted:

I thought it was him. :confused:

Nope. It’s someone named John Q Kubin: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7466442/fullcredits

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Zero One posted:

Bill Hader

It came out two months ago, it's not really a surprise as he stopped being in the show two years ago, and that's not even a plot point. I don't think you need to spoiler it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just watched the Bobs Burger movie and it was so cute and funny.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Movie was on Disney+ for me, good movie and maybe they'll get an Oscar nom for the first song?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

love that Teddy thinks both the guy and the restaurant are called Bob Burgers

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I really liked the movie, the animation was perfect for a higher budget version of the show. I personally disagree with the idea that it needed to be about something big, that's just not what the scope of the series is. I do agree that the plot is basically a rehash of previous stories they have done, though. I think something like, I dunno, a family vacation or the kids go to a summer camp would have been better. It's "bigger" than the normal episodes but not world changing and it would allow for new characters and locations that wouldn't impact the regular season plots.

Not enough songs in the movie, some of their 22 minute episodes have more songs! It should have been a straight up musical, plus having Kevin Kline and Zach Galifianakis not sing anything is just straight wrong.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I disagree about making it a musical. I haven't seen the movie yet, but songs in the show work best when there are one or two in an episode. Any more than that tend to be boring at best, like they were forced to write another couple songs at the last minute.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
There's only two (technically three but that one isn't even on the soundtrack) songs with lyrics in the whole thing, the Christmas two parter had four by comparison and it's half the length. I'm just saying the songs they do have are great and I would have enjoyed another one or two.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I didn't think it needed to be bigger, they just should've come up with a better story that wasn't already done in the regular season, also creating and introducing one new character at the beginning of a who dunnit isn't really stoking an air of mystery.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

I didn't think it needed to be bigger, they just should've come up with a better story that wasn't already done in the regular season, also creating and introducing one new character at the beginning of a who dunnit isn't really stoking an air of mystery.

the cousin who's a lawyer has been on the show before.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I watched the movie, it was fine! It was weird that they gave up on the musical element after the first act. It felt like a long episode of the show, with the kids arcs being the B-plot, but they just kind of summarized their arcs from the show. Tina likes Jimmy Jr but is unsure about it, cool, but that's been resolved so many times now.

I like the twist that they don't show Louise without her hat. They introduce it as important, they set up an expectation of a South Park movie situation with Kenny and then deny you that. Louise the character doesn't want people see her without the hat therefore the audience doesn't get to see. They got me hook line and sinker with that one.

I love Mr Fischoeder, I'm really happy they focused the story on him. The kids detective adventure was good, I loved Bob and Linda's adult story about their money troubles and ripping off a bunch of carnies.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

tarlibone posted:

I did like that the financial issues that the Burgers face actually seemed to have weight this time. Usually, it's just a sitcom joke with no consequence. "We're broke because nobody buys the goods and services we offer; how will we ever pay the rent? PAUSE FOR LAUGHTER!"

I disagree, I think think the show is very genuine about this. The success of the business and the threat of rent is an ever-present threat to them. All the characters can do is joke about it.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

ChesterJT posted:

I thought it brought a lot of fun to the otherwise very dramatic scene. I wondered how it would play out. He only has one shot, will Linda use the burger suit as body armour? Is it just going to misfire at some point?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Beartaco posted:

I disagree, I think think the show is very genuine about this. The success of the business and the threat of rent is an ever-present threat to them. All the characters can do is joke about it.
This is how I see it too. Very few shows are genuinely working-class, because they're made by people wealthy and connected enough to land Hollywood jobs, and for whom those struggles are either often theoretical, or so far out of their current life they can't put themselves back in their old shoes, and Bob's Burgers scratches that itch more than just about anything since Roseanne and Malcolm in the Middle in the 90s and 2000s respectively.

The fact that struggling to make rent is the plot of so many episodes is more topical and relevant than just about everything I've seen that actively tries to be.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Yeah I just did a big rewatch of the show and there's finally a time that Bob manages to get a free month of rent and it felt like such a gigantic win. One free month of rent isn't going to change their lives but it's probably super helpful and at least a momentary relief.

Re: the movie I straight up starting crying when Bob told the story of Louise's hat because it was the first time in the entire run of the show that we actually see his mom. That was way more important than finally glimpsing Louise's hair.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Oh, right! I felt similar, but forgot all about it in the excitement of thinking the movie was great.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Watched the movie. Loved it! Felt like the classic seasons. So much better than the recent episodes.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
https://twitter.com/BobsBurgersFOX/status/1568222696022089732?t=hVkGNSkBwE_cszIqRBOy1A&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
The show is now old enough to be in Wagstaff Middle School