Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
And I made a thread and everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
The word I'm hearing is people are pissed at what little the IATSE negotiating team actually got. Including just an increase in meal penalties, not actually requiring productions to break for meals. If true, that loving sucks and deserves to be voted down.

Tyler Whitney
Jan 21, 2020

Why don't you make it sing?

This is what I've seen floating around so far so it's a bit more than that.

VorpalBunny posted:

The word I'm hearing is people are pissed at what little the IATSE negotiating team actually got. Including just an increase in meal penalties, not actually requiring productions to break for meals. If true, that loving sucks and deserves to be voted down.

https://twitter.com/nevslin/status/1449540344232644609

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So, IATSE caved.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Apparently the traditional non-new-media studios had incentive to settle too. They didn't have the benefit of a global lockdown streaming payday and would be wiped out by a strike which Amazon, Netflix and Hulu could ride out.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

VorpalBunny posted:

I wonder if the vote will go like the UAW for John Deere

How!
Oct 29, 2009

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

From what I’ve seen not a single person on my social media or current crew is happy with the deal. I guess we’ll see when we vote to ratify it in a couple of weeks.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Scam Likely posted:

Apparently the traditional non-new-media studios had incentive to settle too. They didn't have the benefit of a global lockdown streaming payday and would be wiped out by a strike which Amazon, Netflix and Hulu could ride out.

Yeah, it would stop North American domestic production, but Netflix could just push UK, French, Scandinavian, Japanese or Korean content hard. Hell, Squid Game's blockbuster success gives them a reason to do so. But NBC or CBS would be hosed, they'd basically either have to spend a ton on outside content like that, which the streamers largely already have on lock, or just schedule weeks or months of reruns.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Yeah, there's broad support for this strike and these terms are very clearly a quarter measure at best that solve none of the underlying systemic issues at hand. Everyone involved knows that ratifying this is only kicking the can down the road, and with the current state of labour affairs in the US I cannot imagine this being ratified. Milk these fuckers for every dollar and every minute you can

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

Paper Lion posted:

Yeah, there's broad support for this strike and these terms are very clearly a quarter measure at best that solve none of the underlying systemic issues at hand. Everyone involved knows that ratifying this is only kicking the can down the road, and with the current state of labour affairs in the US I cannot imagine this being ratified. Milk these fuckers for every dollar and every minute you can

The entirety of my IATSE friends are completely against this deal and intend to vote no on it, absolutely. I'm unfortunately not in a position that has union representation, but any ground that is gained will benefit the entire industry and the completely absurd time demands that old Hollywood thinks it "requires"

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Both of these situations seem a lot like the union leadership cares as much about the workers as the CEO's do. lovely deals and ignoring the good of the members seems like a bad idea. Even if this deal doesn't get voted down I don't see the IATSE leadership surviving the next election.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Anything new this week?

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Anything new this week?

I haven’t heard anything from my local since our townhall that went real south real quick. That was like last Tuesday I think.

The whole Halyna Hutchins tragedy is just another reason for us to stick it out against the producers, but we are still waiting to vote to ratify that deal.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Ratification vote begins November 12, with results coming out November 15. If there's no strike, you might as well unsticky this thread.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Are they likely to ratify? Didn't this whole baldwin shooting thing not get them riled up to get more of what they came for? Seeing management make a joke of their lives, t-shirts making fun of workers' legitimate concerns, someone literally died... that's not got the union re-fired up at all?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
There are a lot of pieces written about how the Rust incident could cause the union members not to ratify, but nobody knows for certain how the hundreds of thousands of individuals will act. Needless to say, they're more likely to not ratify now then they were when the union heads made the agreement with the AMPTP back on October 16.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I was reading an article about the Mighty Ducks Disney Plus series, and how Emilio Estevez was suffering from long-Covid for months while producers manipulated him into continuing production in the middle of a pandemic. He's opted out of the second season, and while the rumors are he's anti-vaxx it sounds more like he knows he was hosed over by the producers and doesn't want anything to do with them and the property any more.

If that kind of poo poo, plus the Rust working conditions, doesn't fire people up to fight harder against Producers, nothing will.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Here's an important note from Deadline:

Opposition Growing To Proposed IATSE Contract As Members Prepare To Vote & Industry Faces Uncharted Waters posted:

There are actually two separate contracts up for ratification: the Basic Agreement, which covers 13 Hollywood locals, and the Area Standards Agreement, which covers 23 locals outside of Los Angeles. Opposition appears to be strongest among the Hollywood locals, which raises the possibility that the Basic Agreement could be rejected and the other accepted.

If either or both of the contracts are rejected, IATSE leaders could then ask the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers to return to the bargaining table to try and come up with a better deal. The AMPTP doesn’t have to return, but if it does and refuses to budge – perhaps noting that IATSE leaders have already called the agreement a “landmark” deal “that meets our members’ needs” – IATSE president Matthew Loeb could then launch a strike on the contract that was rejected. Having received overwhelming authorization from the members to call a strike last month, he wouldn’t have to ask them again.

The industry would be in uncharted waters if one of the contracts is rejected and the other accepted by the members.

If the Basic Agreement is rejected and the Area Standards Agreement is accepted, a strike would shut down productions across the country because three of the 13 Hollywood locals – the Cinematographers Guild, the Editors Guild and the Art Directors Guild – have national jurisdiction, and they would be on strike everywhere in the country.

If, on the other hand, he Basic Agreement is accepted and the Area Standards Agreement is rejected, productions could continue in Los Angeles, but most shows shooting elsewhere around the country would be struck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, everything got ratified. Time to close the thread.