Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Interesting thing about Gemini Man was that it was a second attempt to make an invisible man series by the same executive producers. Just a year before they made The Invisible Man which had a much more expensive invisibility effect where the main character had synthetic skin which he would remove when he wanted to be invisible. As opposed to Gemini Man's much cheaper effect where they just stop the camera and Ben Murphy leaves the frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mr Havafap posted:

Did I dream it or was there a feature length Battlestar Galactica film made in the late 70's?
I distinctly remember seing it in a theatre, and that it was remarkably dark compared to Star Wars, what with the little kid losing his dog in a firefight (he gets a robot replacement later), battleship commander losing his son in a space battle against Cylons, and what looked like people used as live food for alien pupaes in semi translucent pods..
I know for a fact that I have never seen the original TV series, I wonder if a theatrical cut was made, maybe just for the European market?

Also Disney 's The Black Hole scared my young mind with its malevolent robot and zombified crew, at least I didn't have to struggle to stay awake as when we watched Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Good times!

BSG the Movie made a huge deal out of SENSURROUND which afaict was just turning the bass right up in movie theaters, when the titular spaceship went by you could feel it in your bowels

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

sebmojo posted:

BSG the Movie made a huge deal out of SENSURROUND which afaict was just turning the bass right up in movie theaters, when the titular spaceship went by you could feel it in your bowels

Sensurround was cool until it damaged theaters. I saw Earthquake with it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Mr Havafap posted:

Did I dream it or was there a feature length Battlestar Galactica film made in the late 70's?
I distinctly remember seing it in a theatre, and that it was remarkably dark compared to Star Wars, what with the little kid losing his dog in a firefight (he gets a robot replacement later), battleship commander losing his son in a space battle against Cylons, and what looked like people used as live food for alien pupaes in semi translucent pods..
I know for a fact that I have never seen the original TV series, I wonder if a theatrical cut was made, maybe just for the European market?

The BSG movie was essentially the first two episodes of the show. All of those plot points you mentioned were, in fact, in it. It played in the US, as well.

sebmojo posted:

Sensurround made the already-excellent thousand-seat Promenade I theater in north Dallas even better!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Madurai posted:

The BSG movie was essentially the first two episodes of the show. All of those plot points you mentioned were, in fact, in it. It played in the US, as well.

Sensurround made the already-excellent thousand-seat Promenade I theater in north Dallas even better!

The movie killed off the bad guy but the TV version kept him around.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Soylent Green sprung from a guy having a conversation about investing in condoms in India.

Harry Harrison posted:

The idea came from an Indian I met after the war, in 1946. He told me, 'Overpopulation is the big problem coming up in the world' (nobody had ever heard of it in those days) and he said 'Want to make a lot of money, Harry? You have to import rubber contraceptives to India." I didn't mind making money, but I didn't want to be the rubber king of India! But I started reading a bit about overpopulation, and got the idea for the book. It stayed in my head as I watched the population trend going the wrong way. The thing took about eight years to write because I had to do a lot of research which was worth it.”

Although I think maybe the movie might've been shaped most by the idea of seeing protesting crowds of the era and imagining that people were there because there was no other space for them rather than making a point.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Soylent Green sprung from a guy having a conversation about investing in condoms in India.

[url=http://www.locusmag.com/2006/Issues/03Harrison.html]

Although I think maybe the movie might've been shaped most by the idea of seeing protesting crowds of the era and imagining that people were there because there was no other space for them rather than making a point.

Soylent Green is my go-to example for the times when the movie is better than the book. Make Room! Make Room! is solely about malaise and corruption (and ecodisaster, but only barely) The whole cannibalism angle exists solely in the film version, which is horrifying, whereas the source stary is just depressing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC Soylent is mentioned but only as a new food source and right near the end. There's never any indication that it is made from people.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

In the book, it was made from Soy and Lentils.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
It's funny that "soylent green is people" so dominates that property's legacy that any remake would be obligated to base the entire plot around it.

It'd also be more or less required to have one striking clinically graphic scene in which we see the process of turning a human body into soylent green done in seemingly one shot.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

Madurai posted:

That reminds me, they did something similar with Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (the Gil Gerard/Erin Gray TV show), back in 1979. They filmed a movie that was intended to be shown on TV as a two-hour pilot episode for the series, but then decided to release it in movie theaters instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That reminds me, they did something similar with Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (the Gil Gerard/Erin Gray TV show), back in 1979. They filmed a movie that was intended to be shown on TV as a two-hour pilot episode for the series, but then decided to release it in movie theaters instead.

Yean and the theatrical version has this crazy "sexy" opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BINijYepahA