Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It kind of goes against the spirit of leshy's goals and values to create an optimal metagame around part 1. But wanting to go through part 1 a few more times, sure I can see the appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like that one of Kaycee's journal entries is "I'm addicted to this game but it isn't balanced well at all" lol.

Some people in the playstation thread are just playing for the first time and it's always funny to see people use the squirrel head, or just make a really OP card and think they, and they alone have managed to break the game.

Speaking of playstation I really wish they would add controller support on PC for the optimal steam deck experience. Or maybe they have. I haven't checked

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Yeah one of the cooler bits of the game is it absolutely convinces you that you are uniquely brilliant in figuring out how to break the game and create a rigged deck, even though the game itself funnels you towards that no matter what. Great game design is often based around getting a player to think they are making a choice of their own accord, even when it's the choice the developer intended, and this game is no exception.

Regarding the Slay the Spire comparisons, I'd say that StS and Inscryption are both perfect or near perfect games for me, for basically completely different reasons. Both are complete triumphs, and gold standards of the form, especially considering how tiny both teams are. Glad that they are getting the attention and accolades they deserve.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.
Apologies if I missed this -- I'm trying to avoid spoilers -- but I just installed and started and cannot play the Stoat card as the second action in the tutorial. There's a blinking "S" at the right, but I'm not getting anything to happen except when I hit ESC to quit the game. How big a dummy am I?

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

onionradish posted:

Apologies if I missed this -- I'm trying to avoid spoilers -- but I just installed and started and cannot play the Stoat card as the second action in the tutorial. There's a blinking "S" at the right, but I'm not getting anything to happen except when I hit ESC to quit the game. How big a dummy am I?

Press the "S" key. It's trying to get you to scroll back/zoom out.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.
:cripes:

So obvious in retrospect. Thanks!

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

No worries. I would often zoom in to look at the cards in play at the beginning of my turn and then get mad that the game wasn't letting me play a card before I realized that I needed to zoom out and draw a new card before playing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought it meant scroll since the scroll wheel also works. scroll up to move in on the deck and back to grab a card or stand up and walk around the room.

coiol
Dec 16, 2004

I dress like a girl and drink like a man. Please date-rape me.
Finished the game yesterday (on PS5). I agree with what was said earlier in the thread about how the game does a great job of making the player feel that they alone discovered some OP combo to break the game.

Got through Act 1 with the undying + squirrel totem combo that a few people mentioned, then played around quite a bit in Act 2 until finding my masterpiece of unlimited energy conduit + the mage that pumps for energy, made a nice 1001/1002 attacker to hit for 999 foils because I wanted to see if the numbers stop or if they just overflow the card boundaries, they do. Had some fun in Act 3 making 1-drop undying brittle cards and doubleshot targeting touch-of-death snipers and then did one run through Kaycee's mod carried by a 7/6 1-drop stoat stitched together from two pumped up stoats that one-rounded everyone.

I was into competitive Magic: The Gathering for a bit and I don't think there's enough depth in Inscryption to keep replaying, but it was definitely a great first playthrough! Few questions about the plot and some 100% details:

1. In Act 2 I chose the magician to start and then chose to replace the computer at the end. Does the first choice just impact your starting cards? For the second choice Act 3 was all about replacing the computer, but the developers didn't really make a full different Act 3 for each of the four choices, did they? That seems like it would be a huge amount of work. Is it a false choice where you get railroaded into the computer anyway and I just happened to choose it?

2. Is there a resolution for the talking cards in Acts 1 and 3? I never wanted to get rid of them because I was expecting some plot point, but I didn't see anything.

3. I was missing some cards from the full collection in Act 2: two or three beasts and one bones. I had unlimited money (see above) and bought dozens of packs but never completed it. Where were those extra cards? There was some coffin that wanted an "offering" in the bones castle that I never completed.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
For 1, you are correct. Your first choice affected your deck, and then essentially, you just happened to make some choices the game would force you into otherwise.

For 2, the talking cards were the bosses you beat in Act 2 and then saw again near the end. You freed them by completing act 1 and resetting the game, then the ending of act 3 was you freeing them again as everything was deleted and playing their own individual levels.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

coiol posted:

1. In Act 2 I chose the magician to start and then chose to replace the computer at the end. Does the first choice just impact your starting cards? For the second choice Act 3 was all about replacing the computer, but the developers didn't really make a full different Act 3 for each of the four choices, did they? That seems like it would be a huge amount of work. Is it a false choice where you get railroaded into the computer anyway and I just happened to choose it?

2. Is there a resolution for the talking cards in Acts 1 and 3? I never wanted to get rid of them because I was expecting some plot point, but I didn't see anything.

3. I was missing some cards from the full collection in Act 2: two or three beasts and one bones. I had unlimited money (see above) and bought dozens of packs but never completed it. Where were those extra cards? There was some coffin that wanted an "offering" in the bones castle that I never completed.

1: Your starting pick determines which deck you get, yes - either a blood, bones, energy or gems deck. Your final choice doesn't matter, PO3 will butt in if you choose to fight anyone else.

2: The talking cards in act 1 were the three other Scrybes that you came to meet - I don't know how many goes through the game you did but after a couple they start changing their appearance to look more like their "true" form. The talking ones in act 3 don't have any special story but you might recognise them as the minion characters from some of the other regions.

3: There's a few secrets around for cards you can't get in packs. The coffin provides one, you need to find a way to make an Obol to give him. The mycologists provide one for each deck. There's also one you can claim by finding tentacles in the game world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Challenge level 11 in Kaycee's mod is pissing me off. It really feels like beyond the challenges you've picked, the game does something under the hood to made it as unfair as possible. Either that or I have just had horrible luck because all of a sudden it's constantly throwing the worst possible poo poo at me mixed with some of the most bullshitty feeling Leshy plays. I'm frequently getting completely unwinnable fights