Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zhen'ka
Nov 7, 2000
***Edit: I meant to post this in the NAS thread. Somehow I started a new thread, and now can't remove it. ***

Hey guys, so the power failed in my building, and when I turned my Synology DS411 back on, it informed me that it was shut down improperly.

Everything is working fine. And the drives were probably a sleep because I rarely use the system and have HDD Hibernation enabled. That having been said, what should be done to verify the file system wasn't damaged. Let's say this happened under heavy use? What is the best practice?

I know similar questions have been asked before, but I don't see a clear answer.

I am well aware I can schedule Data Scrubbing, but is that what I want to do? If I understand things correctly, Data Scrubbing verifies the consistency of the storage pool (i.e. whether or not it's physically working well and all reads produce the expected checksum).

Besides taking a very long time to run, that's not the same thing as logical file-system corruption occurring because of a power failure right? Let's say I was in the middle of copying files to my NAS. And only part of some file was copied before the system shut down. So the actual number of bytes written to the volume for that file will be less than the expected size in the master file table entry (I am using windows terminology here).

Am I making sense? I have an SHR storage pool formatted with ext4. Is there an equivalent of fsck? What's the best practice.

zhen'ka fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal
If there were a problem the unit would tell you so. I've got a 1019+ sitting on a faulty UPS right now (replacement due this Friday) that loses power until I have to turn it on again. So far the system has come back clean every time. If the device is not in a faulted state you have nothing to worry about.

edit: ext4 is a journaled filesystem, so it recovers the journal very quickly in the event of unexpected shutdown. If there is something actually wrong with it, the Syno would start an auto integrity check.

Nulldevice fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 31, 2021