Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Boiling Point

Directed by Philip Barantini
Starring Stehen Graham, Vinette Robinson, Alice Feetham & Hannah Walters

(Wiki)

Wikipedia posted:

Boiling Point is a 2021 British drama film directed by Philip Barantini and starring Stephen Graham. It is a one-shot film set in a restaurant kitchen. It is an expansion of a 2019 short film of the same name, also directed by Barantini and starring Graham

I would post trailers here but they're honestly pretty spoilery, best to go in as clean as possible.

It's a 90-minute film shot in one take (the third of four takes was what they used) which may seem like a gimmick and, to be fair, it would be in a lot of instances but I felt the film justifies that with the brilliant pace and the performances, particularly Graham's, to the point where the gimmicky aspect of it melts away and the whole thing feels like a hectic, pressure cooker of a ride. None of that hidden cut bullshit, either. One thing the Wiki gets slightly wrong; it's not set just in the restaurant kitchen, it's set in the whole restaurant. The camera flies fairly effortlessly from one person to another and gives them all some time to perform and flesh out their characters, though it mostly stays with Graham, and for good reason. While I really enjoyed it and found it more captivating than any other film I've seen in a long time, there were few elements that felt superfluous and ever so slightly too melodramatic if not downright artificial which clashed against the rest of the film feeling very naturalistic, but overall a minor issue.

The ending was along those same lines for me and I wish it had been left a bit more ambiguous, especially after Graham's final scene which felt like a brilliant capper.

It's on Amazon Prime and I highly recommend checking it out, not least of all if you're unaware of Stephen Graham and just how goddamned good he is.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Stare-Out posted:

It's a 90-minute film shot in one take (the second of three takes was what they used)

I thought it was brilliant but agree with you about the ending. A little cliche.

To clarify for accuracy though, it was actually the 3rd of 4 takes they used. They were supposed to shoot 8 takes across four days (two takes per day) but shut it down early as the pandemic was taking off and they had it in the can.

Source: me as I worked on this film.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

a lovely king posted:

I thought it was brilliant but agree with you about the ending. A little cliche.

To clarify for accuracy though, it was actually the 3rd of 4 takes they used. They were supposed to shoot 8 takes across four days (two takes per day) but shut it down early as the pandemic was taking off and they had it in the can.

Source: me as I worked on this film.

Thanks for the clarification! What was your job on the movie, if you don't mind my asking?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Stare-Out posted:

Thanks for the clarification! What was your job on the movie, if you don't mind my asking?

I'm Stephen Graham.

No I was on the AD team. Coordinating extras mainly. I'm sat in the restaurant next to the featured couple with a walkie talkie under my shirt and an earpiece up my sleeve. Had to keep the room informed about camera movements when it left the building so everyone would be ready when it came back in.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That's really cool. I was wondering how the whole operation would look like from that perspective with how things must've been choreographed and all.