Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I'll probably beat the campaign which is more than I can say for most open world games, and will likely go back for seconds in Legendary when co-op gets added. Halo combat mechanics are extremely fun at their core and sometimes they click just right with the open world stuff and create some great moments, but at the same time pretty much everything I don't like about that style of game is present in this one as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

goferchan posted:

I'll probably beat the campaign which is more than I can say for most open world games, and will likely go back for seconds in Legendary when co-op gets added. Halo combat mechanics are extremely fun at their core and sometimes they click just right with the open world stuff and create some great moments, but at the same time pretty much everything I don't like about that style of game is present in this one as well.

Same on all counts

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

goferchan posted:

This, except I nolifed it on Thursday and Friday and beat it already, with nearly a full clear on Heroic lol (didn't bother with all the logs or all the spartan cores; there's a lot more than you need to max out the abilities)

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I appreciate that this game’s open world is small and concentrated. Reminds me of other smaller more manageable open world games like Saboteur and FC3 Blood Dragon that don’t overstay their welcome. I would’ve liked snow and desert areas though

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Halo MP with Imps is a 10/10 and haven't played this much halo since Halo 3 and goddamn Halo is back and gently caress Games and the Games Mods

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I appreciate that this game’s open world is small and concentrated. Reminds me of other smaller more manageable open world games like Saboteur and FC3 Blood Dragon that don’t overstay their welcome. I would’ve liked snow and desert areas though

I’m just really very glad it’s not like this. I felt like I was gonna have a stroke the first time I saw this https://www.ign.com/maps/assassins-creed-odyssey/greece

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Yeah for the most part it feels like a bunch of discrete crafted encounters that you can approach from any angle, which is fun because shooting guys in Halo games is always fun, but it still feels a little undercooked. Honestly I feel like one of the most interesting aspects of it is squadding up with marines and I'd be curious to see what that would look like if it were a little more developed. Give me a Halo 5 style squad command system and let me roll into enemy bases with a fleet of guys driving their own Gungooses behind me or something.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's cool that there's really only 4 types of encounters- outposts, HVTs, marine squads, and FOBs. In basically any other open world game there would be way too many and too little variation, but the base gameplay of Halo is so good and changes based on the enemy composition, so it's very little work on their part to make each encounter play differently. I did all of them before I finished off the main missions and at no point did it feel repetitive or like I was grinding. Pretty much my only problem is it can be hard to keep getting ammo for variant weapons in main missions; they don't share ammo with the base version, so you need ammo crates, and really only plasma and kinetic are common. But I guess it balances out since most of them seem to be a pure upgrade.

I'm gonna play some other poo poo for a few days so as to not burn myself out, but I'm excited for Legendary

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

https://voca.ro/1jLlHsaNq3nx

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

TremoniusX.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Wormskull posted:

TremoniusX.

Wow this nerdy doting computer character who wants to gently caress master chief is amandine and heartfelt.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Amazing

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Wish there were scarabs in campaign. Those are so fun to fight.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The grappling hook is epic indeed.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I kept getting really hosed up check points with 1 hit kill guys doing homing leaps at me and poo poo though and it’s pissing me off.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
SWAT 🥰

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Epic.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Wormskull posted:

Wow this nerdy doting computer character who wants to gently caress master chief is amandine and heartfelt.

But enough about Echo 216

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The two homies you get are like my least favorite pair of homies in any game ever. So annoying.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Less than ideal homies.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
The Marines stay homies.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

The marines won't stop standing under the vehicle drops and getting killed lol

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Marine pinned beneath warthog tire that he specifically dove under as it was being delivered: Oof! Agh! Oof! Agh! Oof! Agh! Oof! Agh! YEAAAAARGH!
Nearby marine holding comically oversized volatile skewer I gave him: Chief, he had a family!

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
okay in the third zone it finally ramps up the difficulty. i love this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Oh poo poo maybe I’ll light this game up in a few minutes.