Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Hello fellow goons, I'm turning to you for help. My son is writing a paper for his middle school about the Prohibtion and the Gangs of Chicago during that period. His paper is about 30-40% done and he's done extensive googling and reading about it. We've watched a documentary about the Prohibition and also watched some movies but they're mostly for entertainment. We're from the Netherlands, he's 16 and he's doing his paper in English, just to give you some context and background. What I am looking for are several things:

- Do you have any interesting stories to share, maybe from relatives or books you've read? A reference to the source material or a name of said relative/friend would be great!
- Is there something you'd like to share that is constantly missed or misinterpreted in the media that are available. Relevant to this topic of course.
- We're looking for someone who has studied this period or has written about the Prohibition or the Gangs during that period. This is necessary since he needs to do a small interview. This interview consists of several questions he needs answers for and any other things you would like to add.

The question we'd like answered for the interview are the following:

1. There is a lot of debate on whether the police were or were not involved with the valentine's day massacre, or in other words whether the police helped lure the North Siders into the Ambush. What do you think?
2. If the prohibition were to be put in effect today, what do you think would be the repercussions?
3. After the Prohibition, what happened to all of the gangs in Chicago? Were they disbanded or did they remain in power?
4. To my knowledge, there were 6 gangs in Chicago: the Chicago Outfit, Saltis-McErlane, Circus Café, Valley Gang, 42 Gang and the collective North Side Gang. Are there any missing from this list?
5. What were the biggest contributors to Chicago's gang activity that were foreign to Chicago? Think along the lines of Rum Row.

You can answer them in the thread or get in contact with me through DM or my username at the google mail dot com.

Anything you guys can tell me is much appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

They got a saying in the revenue squad, you either die or you live long enough to see "GBS do my homework" become "GBS do my kid's homework"

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

This may be of interest:

Own Al Capone: The Chicago gangster’s favorite gun, diamond jewelry, bear-shaped humidor, family photos and more to be sold by his granddaughters at auction
https://www.yahoo.com/news/own-al-capone-chicago-gangster-100000872.html
https://fileupload.thinksignature.com/SendFile/AjaxUpload/TempDir/68336-MGraphicSolutionsPROOF2021751628176435773.pdf

lockdar posted:

- Is there something you'd like to share that is constantly missed or misinterpreted in the media that are available. Relevant to this topic of course.

Media is constantly glamorizing things. A life of crime is sometimes far from glamorous.

I've seen one of Al Capone's hideouts. It's far from opulent.

lockdar posted:

2. If the prohibition were to be put in effect today, what do you think would be the repercussions?

If it was done on a state by state basis it'd just be a boon for the areas where it remained legal. If it was done nationally then I would think all the ills happening back then would come back to an even greater degree. Especially in the midst of a pandemic when alcohol sales are booming.

lockdar posted:

3. After the Prohibition, what happened to all of the gangs in Chicago? Were they disbanded or did they remain in power?

Some pivoted more into gambling, prostitution, insurance fraud, graft, shakedowns, other drugs etc. Some went into legitimate businesses/careers due to having lots of money to get started.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zogo posted:

If it was done on a state by state basis it'd just be a boon for the areas where it remained legal. If it was done nationally then I would think all the ills happening back then would come back to an even greater degree. Especially in the midst of a pandemic when alcohol sales are booming.

Not American, but aren't some countys dry? (Meaning no alcohol sales in that area)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Violet_Sky posted:

Not American, but aren't some countys dry? (Meaning no alcohol sales in that area)

Yeah, it's a big hodgepodge: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dry_communities_by_U.S._state

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Violet_Sky posted:

yes but its not really the same as "prohibition" since it's still legal to drink

most of the dry counties are so small and rural it doesn't really have much of an effect on anything, economically speaking

if you want to look at what prohibition would be like today just look at various other substances that are prohibited. or weed, which is mixed on a state by state basis. it's the same basic pattern as from alcohol prohibition: when a substance is illegal, the market is controlled by organized crime. of course there are plenty of legal things that are also controlled by organized crime, too.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 24, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
E: wrong thread

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 2, 2022

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I don't know which documentary you and your son watched, but the Ken Burns documentary series "Prohibition" is absolutely fantastic and certainly worth seeing (really any of the Ken Burns stuff is wonderful). I'm sure this paper has long been turned in at this point, but if either of you are still interested in the topic then it's worth checking out.

https://www.pbs.org/kenburns/prohibition/

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kaal posted:

I don't know which documentary you and your son watched, but the Ken Burns documentary series "Prohibition" is absolutely fantastic and certainly worth seeing (really any of the Ken Burns stuff is wonderful). I'm sure this paper has long been turned in at this point, but if either of you are still interested in the topic then it's worth checking out.

https://www.pbs.org/kenburns/prohibition/

I don't think you can watch outside of the US without :filez:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Violet_Sky posted:

I don't think you can watch outside of the US without :filez:

Yeah I was hoping that PBS would still show the clips from it regardless of location. The series itself is available just not necessarily for free. Netflix carries it in various countries, though it doesn't look like it's in the Netherlands right now. Checking out Amazon Video or other streaming rental sites could be worthwhile for sure. A relatively old documentary like this shouldn't be too expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Prohibition-FIlm-Burns-Novick-Season/dp/B005PK5LTK/ref=nodl_

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

The paper is indeed about to be turned in but I'm still very thankful for the replies. We have indeed watched Prohibition by creatively faking being on a US computer.