Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

grieving for Gandalf posted:

this is my only disagreement here. if it has hosed up stuff like lots of naked middle schoolers and something about a living toilet, I don't know how you just get past that
thats the thing, i know this is an extremely funny point to make and i agree its incredibly funny to point out where the living toilet fits into the continuity, but it does feel kinda relevant. i havent watched mia at all but it seems like a lot of that stuff comes in as it goes on. and the anime cuts out a ton of the nudity from the manga. and that toilet scene seems to be from a manga chapter made after s1 of the anime aired. the torture scene clip is from the recent movie. obviously in a narrative sense something about a descent into a dark labyrinth or w/e is going to get darker/more hosed up as it goes, its just that it is also, the bad kind of hosed up that it keeps layering on. not that the early material seems spotless and innocent or anything given the posts in that thread but still, its easy to see how there's a level where some people could get past it and then it could introduce way worse stuff later.

like iunno, imagine if the sex jokes in early dragon ball got way way waaaaayyyy worse instead of mostly disappearing. and also dragon ball was airing in 2015 or w/e. work with me here. someone could watch the early dragon ball stuff and think the stuff with master roshi and bulma sucks but be into the fun dragon ball adventure and the martial arts and stuff, and then later on there's way worse jokes with master roshi or smth, but they dont know it because the anime adaptation hasnt gotten to it yet. theres a disconnect where the manga is both later into the material and the anime tries to cover up for some of the manga's weirdest poo poo, so people dont fully grasp what it is.

i think its fair to give people some benefit of the doubt imo. i know this might be controversial but i think most people arent pedophiles and if presented with the material in the later manga straight up, unabridged, would go 'yeah that shouldnt be discussed on this forum.' in that hypothetical dragon ball scenario the people going 'i hope master roshi creeps on the 14 year old more' would be bannable but the people saying 'kamehamehas are cool' or 'yeah the sex jokes are kinda weird' wouldnt be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
imo if someone's a creep, you're not gonna have to go back five years to find the one post in which they let their creepiness slip

usually they're creepy on a pretty regular basis and they've probably already got two dozen sixers for being creepy and everyone tries to run them out of half the threads they post in, but it never goes beyond sixers, presumably because bans are a precious resource the admins have to hoard just in case they're needed later

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

thats the thing, i know this is an extremely funny point to make and i agree its incredibly funny to point out where the living toilet fits into the continuity, but it does feel kinda relevant. i havent watched mia at all but it seems like a lot of that stuff comes in as it goes on. and the anime cuts out a ton of the nudity from the manga. and that toilet scene seems to be from a manga chapter made after s1 of the anime aired. the torture scene clip is from the recent movie. obviously in a narrative sense something about a descent into a dark labyrinth or w/e is going to get darker/more hosed up as it goes, its just that it is also, the bad kind of hosed up that it keeps layering on. not that the early material seems spotless and innocent or anything given the posts in that thread but still, its easy to see how there's a level where some people could get past it and then it could introduce way worse stuff later.

like iunno, imagine if the sex jokes in early dragon ball got way way waaaaayyyy worse instead of mostly disappearing. and also dragon ball was airing in 2015 or w/e. work with me here. someone could watch the early dragon ball stuff and think the stuff with master roshi and bulma sucks but be into the fun dragon ball adventure and the martial arts and stuff, and then later on there's way worse jokes with master roshi or smth, but they dont know it because the anime adaptation hasnt gotten to it yet. theres a disconnect where the manga is both later into the material and the anime tries to cover up for some of the manga's weirdest poo poo, so people dont fully grasp what it is.

i think its fair to give people some benefit of the doubt imo. i know this might be controversial but i think most people arent pedophiles and if presented with the material in the later manga straight up, unabridged, would go 'yeah that shouldnt be discussed on this forum.' in that hypothetical dragon ball scenario the people going 'i hope master roshi creeps on the 14 year old more' would be bannable but the people saying 'kamehamehas are cool' or 'yeah the sex jokes are kinda weird' wouldnt be.

I'm with you on the dragon ball stuff, but I feel like you're getting lost in the reeds with the dates on stuff because it appears that people were discussing the manga and the anime in that thread, and many (which we agreed should be done away with) were turned onto the manga with the promise of child nudity. I also feel like some posters probably know just well enough not to out and out say they like that part, and just post about the strong themes of resilience through adversity as relayed through the nude children being dismembered (?)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Vizuyos posted:

imo if someone's a creep, you're not gonna have to go back five years to find the one post in which they let their creepiness slip

usually they're creepy on a pretty regular basis and they've probably already got two dozen sixers for being creepy and everyone tries to run them out of half the threads they post in, but it never goes beyond sixers, presumably because bans are a precious resource the admins have to hoard just in case they're needed later
the grouchio rule

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

homeless snail posted:

the grouchio rule

absolutely stunning that they're not perma'd, and that's before the awful MiA posts

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people were discussing the anime and manga in that thread but not everyone was watching/reading both, is what im saying here. or even watched all the way through the anime as it aired. like someone who watched two episodes of it and went 'oh this seems neat' and then didnt watch or post anymore about it shouldn't be punished.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

How does Grouchio keep doing it?

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Fluffdaddy posted:

Can someone start a new chat thread and we can close this one. And go maybe 5-6 pages not talking about QCS, MIA or any of that?

sounds like something the new adtrw mod could do...oh wait

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

people were discussing the anime and manga in that thread but not everyone was watching/reading both, is what im saying here. or even watched all the way through the anime as it aired. like someone who watched two episodes of it and went 'oh this seems neat' and then didnt watch or post anymore about it shouldn't be punished.

yeah, sure. I think it'd be fairly easy, if maybe requiring some time, to go through and figure out who that was vs those who aren't good people that we want here

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
this forum has a consistent problem where absolutely awful creeps get to hang around and instead of ever getting anything more than sixers they just get treated badly. see also: bust rodd, hedrigall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
There’s a lot really terrible posters that I don’t know how they haven’t eaten a perma. Usually they have some sort of squad quick to defend them if they get slapped on the wrist