Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

My "unit" is a GSU consisting of 5 people. A Lt Col as the detachment chief, two E-7s, and two GS-13s.

There are several similar GSUs attached to my headquarters.

Hear me out!

If we redesignate each GSU as a five man squadron and make the Lt Cols "commanders"...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
PMEL could be its own squadron, might as well be with how they’re treated. My old squadron was dissolved and they got moved into munitions for reasons. Other bases they were still CMS and depots were LRS. We never fit in anywhere.

Although maybe they should have kept more active duty labs around too cause lol at the idea of staffing the contract/civil service labs with former active duty

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I have a weird question. I am trying to reach the AF spouses network at Luke AFB for job postings.

I work with a construction cleaning company that cleans unoccupied model homes and under-construction houses as they are being built. The money is good, schedule is flexible, and I always say it would have been the perfect job when I was a student. The job site is ~10 minutes from base and would be great for stay at home parents of school aged kids.

Are there any base offices/resources/Facebook groups or whatever that I could contact to reach these people who are currently out of the workforce?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Just searched Luke AFB Spouse in FB, four results came up.

No, no idea how.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Hearing AFSOC/CC was fired, and the root cause involves cannon AFB.

Any other scuttle butt?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Nothing credible. An internet comment that he got in a shouting match with SOCOM/CC, who then chose to play rock, paper, stars and won.

That's the verbiage used, and I love it.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
It’s been a long goddamn time since I pondered on the operational and administrative levels of command combatant commanders have over component commanders (Who report to CSAF versus COCOM CC’s reporting to SECDEF/POTUS)

Does USSOCOM/CC have that kind of administrative authority? I always was under the impression that their authorities were more operational than administrative in regards to hire/fire.

Obviously you always lose a game of rock paper stars if your an officer, but if your an Alcoholic PTSD adled unmedicated bipolar Staff Sergeant you can play all kiiiiinds of gently caress gently caress games with the star types. Mostly because you literally don’t care if you live, die, demote, or promote.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Component commanders report to the CCMD. ADCON is a blend and probably varies by theater.

Winterfresh
Sep 11, 2004

Pro.
AFSOC/CC is dual-hatted as AF component of SOCOM and MAJCOM. CDRUSSOCOM can absolutely fire one of his component commanders.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Winterfresh posted:

AFSOC/CC is dual-hatted as AF component of SOCOM and MAJCOM. CDRUSSOCOM can absolutely fire one of his component commanders.

And ACC? Can a Combatant Commander poo poo can ACC/CC? They provide a gently caress load of AirPower for combatant commanders.. is this where it gets weird with adcon and opcon?

Also, just as a matter of courtesy surely SOCOM/CC went to the CSAF if not before then immediately afterwards… right?

I’m genuinely curious.

Winterfresh
Sep 11, 2004

Pro.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

And ACC? Can a Combatant Commander poo poo can ACC/CC? They provide a gently caress load of AirPower for combatant commanders.. is this where it gets weird with adcon and opcon?

Also, just as a matter of courtesy surely SOCOM/CC went to the CSAF if not before then immediately afterwards… right?

I’m genuinely curious.

AFSOC is a unique animal where the dual-hatted relationship is built into the position. They get money from both SOCOM and HAF. Almost a MAJCOM of convenience in order to tap into the "train and equip" of the USAF.

ACC is not a standing component command of any GCC/FCC. They can train/equip commanders to get chopped to Combatant Commands as JFACCs, at which point they'd be OPCON'd to the Combatant Command and ADCON'd to ACC.

If SOCOM wanted to, yes, but not obligated to. It's his prerogative to not have to justify his staffing actions to another 4-star. I'd bet that he did reach out, especially since the current VCoS is well-connected in the SOF community. In terms of precedence, the Service Chief of Staff precedes a Combatant Commander but that does not mean one defers to another at all.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
So I guess it’s the same for TRANSCOM and AMC units?

I worked at HQ AMC and TRANSCOM and never really got the impression that TRANSCOM was making a lot of administrative decisions re: AMC commanders.

However this was back around when I made E-6 and started drinking so bad I almost ruined my life. So it could have been a thing and I just never knew.

When I started at TRANSCOM the TRANSCOM commander absolutely decided who were the NAF and MAJCOM and FOA commanders because TRANSCOM was still dual hatted with AMC back then. At some point after I started drinking they just made it its own legit separate 4 star command, with AMC having its own 4 star commander.

But doesn’t USSTRATCOM own some of AMC just like TRANSCOM does? It’s been a long time since I was in, so I could be way off.

Thank you for clarifying WF!

Winterfresh
Sep 11, 2004

Pro.
Not familiar with TRANSCOM and AMC's relationship but if they were dual-hatted in the past, it could be similar. Don't know much about STRATCOM either, unfortunately.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
reading this makes me hungry for soup.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Natty Ninefingers posted:

reading this makes me hungry for soup.

I hate myself for knowing the acronyms.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

"Hey, did you see my game against the Detroit Lions?"
God drat, can't believe some of y'all are still in this poo poo.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Jaysus posted:

God drat, can't believe some of y'all are still in this poo poo.
Hey now, some of us are close to being able to suckle on Uncle Sam's teat for the rest of our life.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
If I had never left I’d still have over five years left. Feels like a lifetime ago

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
At least 5 more years, but being a guard O is kinda fun and I don’t mind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

I've stuck around mostly for the free Healthcare (mostly offbase in Korea). I'm starting to think I have Fibro at this point. Soooo many pills and referrals.