Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I had perfect eyesight until my late 30's. Then I started holding things at arm's length to see small print better, and only a few years later, I'm at +2.5/+1.75 and can't read poo poo. I'm about to get new glasses and for the first time I have to cover three distances - reading, computer, and long range. I can make three pairs of glasses (one for each distance), or two (one for reading/computer, the other for long range), or only one for all distances.

My ophthalmologist's advice is to get the latter and wear them all the time. The problems with this option are
- It's by far the most expensive. I'm a clumsy and forgetful person and I hate the idea of being so reliant on something expensive and fragile. I'll break them, scratch them, lose them...
- It's difficult to accept the idea of wearing glasses all my awake time, from now until I die.

I'm leaning towards the middle option - to get a pair I'll use for reading and computer/TV, and a pair I'll use for driving. And if I'm not doing any of those activities, I won't be using glasses.

I know everyone's eyes are different, but your experience and preferences may help me with my decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Exactly 500 views right now and no responses. I don't get it - if you don't use or need glasses, why even click the thread? I sure wouldn't 5 years ago. And if you do, why not share?

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
From the children of everyone who used to have perfect eyesight and is now old, just get the drat glasses and wear them all the time so you can stop asking us what the menu says.

Do you think that your formerly good eyesight makes you more knowledgeable about how eyes work than an actual eye doctor? Your eyes will never see as well as they used to. It's not a huge imposition to wear glasses.

Yes it will take a couple days to get used to, but the more regularly you wear the glasses the shorter the adjustment period will be.

The reason no one wants to answer is because we're sick of having this discussion with our parents and being ignored until they drive into something.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

lol ok I appreciated that

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Doctor Malaver posted:

Exactly 500 views right now and no responses. I don't get it - if you don't use or need glasses, why even click the thread? I sure wouldn't 5 years ago. And if you do, why not share?

I've been wearing glasses since I was 10 years old. I'm -3.5 in each eye with Astigmatism. I can't see poo poo without my glasses.

I don't know what to tell someone who says "It's difficult to accept the idea of wearing glasses all my awake time, from now until I die." Like I literally do not know how to respond to that. In my head that's the same thing as "It's difficult to accept the idea of having to consume food every single day, from now until I die". Like it just doesn't compute. If I want to see, I need to correct my vision with glasses or contact lenses.

Getting old sucks and you can't do poo poo about it. Vision changes, hair thins, my ankle makes a sound sometimes like I'm walking on bubble wrap. I adapt to the hand I'm dealt. I wear contacts or glasses, I shave my head, and if I'm walking for any distance I put some KT tape on my ankle. Adapt and overcome.

quote:

I'm a clumsy and forgetful person and I hate the idea of being so reliant on something expensive and fragile. I'll break them, scratch them, lose them...

I suggest getting 1 pair of glasses and wearing them all the time. Progressive lenses can be expensive, but they're the best option. Pick a sturdy set of frames, buy from somewhere with a good warranty, and buy a pair or two of backup glasses from somewhere like Zenni. That's what I do. I wear contacts 99% of the time, and have a couple cheap pairs of glasses from Zenni for late at night after I take my contacts out. My kids have their fancy glasses from the optometrists office , and a couple cheap pairs from Zenni. My son just broke his 200 dollar frames a few days ago, but they have a 1 year warranty on them.

I mean if you're having this much trouble with something like needing glasses, you're going to have a hell of a time if you need erectile dysfunction medication, cause that can stop working 100% when you get older too.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

skipdogg posted:

I've been wearing glasses since I was 10 years old. I'm -3.5 in each eye with Astigmatism. I can't see poo poo without my glasses.

I don't know what to tell someone who says "It's difficult to accept the idea of wearing glasses all my awake time, from now until I die." Like I literally do not know how to respond to that. In my head that's the same thing as "It's difficult to accept the idea of having to consume food every single day, from now until I die". Like it just doesn't compute. If I want to see, I need to correct my vision with glasses or contact lenses.

Getting old sucks and you can't do poo poo about it. Vision changes, hair thins, my ankle makes a sound sometimes like I'm walking on bubble wrap. I adapt to the hand I'm dealt. I wear contacts or glasses, I shave my head, and if I'm walking for any distance I put some KT tape on my ankle. Adapt and overcome.

I suggest getting 1 pair of glasses and wearing them all the time. Progressive lenses can be expensive, but they're the best option. Pick a sturdy set of frames, buy from somewhere with a good warranty, and buy a pair or two of backup glasses from somewhere like Zenni. That's what I do. I wear contacts 99% of the time, and have a couple cheap pairs of glasses from Zenni for late at night after I take my contacts out. My kids have their fancy glasses from the optometrists office , and a couple cheap pairs from Zenni. My son just broke his 200 dollar frames a few days ago, but they have a 1 year warranty on them.

I mean if you're having this much trouble with something like needing glasses, you're going to have a hell of a time if you need erectile dysfunction medication, cause that can stop working 100% when you get older too.

I already have more than a fair share of health problems and difficulties, so this is less "ugh my perfect life is ruined by glasses" and more "now this too?"

But anyway, thanks for the advice. Are your backups also progressive lenses or just single-focal / bi-focal?

Out of curiosity, have you considered surgery? I'm not a candidate because of specifics of my eyes, but I was surprised how routine and (relatively) affordable it has become.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
If you're going to at all wear multifocal lenses then you want to only wear those lenses and not have a backup set that has single-focal lenses instead. Multifocals have an adjustment period that's more of a hurdle than just getting a new set of regular single-focal lenses, where your brain gets used to the fact that things will be moving strangely in different parts of your field of vision. When I first got my progressive lenses, I had to deal with headaches and occasionally feeling physically nauseous for over a week; but I adjusted, and I found I instead got that same feeling when I put on my old single-focal lens sunglasses (even though they still match the long-range part of my prescription).

There's also a little bit of a physical adjustment period where you'll need to rely on moving your head instead of just your eyes a lot more, since you'll need to be looking through different parts of your lenses depending on what you want to look at and you'll often need to move your head to make sure that happens. (This is the stereotypical 'old guy lifts his head and peers down his nose when he's reading something' sort of thing in action.) That part came pretty easy to me, but your mileage may vary.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I wore contacts for about 6 years in high school and have worn glasses for the last 15. They are super unintrusive and I actually enjoy them and the way they look. Even if I could magic away my vision problems, I'd still probably wear glasses.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Worn glasses since I was 11. I’m an 57 now.

You will get used to wearing/not smashing glasses.

My recommendation:
Get a pair of graduated multi focus (the lower part for reading, the upper for distance) auto shading, Nikon plastic lenses with protective coating, in a titanium frame. Also, get a pair of distance only sunglasses for keeping in the car.

The dual glasses with the auto shading will take care of everything except super sunlight & driving in the car (the auto dimming lenses don’t received enough UV to darken in the car). The titanium frames and plastic lenses will be light, and almost indestructible. The distance sunglasses can be kept int the car for daytime driving and skiing or whatever else you do outside.
This disagrees with earlier posters, but the single vision sunglasses have never been an issue ime (ymmv).

Clean your lenses with a smidge of dish soap and warm/hot water and your fingers. Blow the water off with pursed lips.
You will have very very very few, if any scratches this way. (This tip was from the glasses thread, can’t find it now) 4 years on my current set and they look almost new.

thelizzerd
Nov 12, 2021
Last guy said to use dish soap. Some of the plastic lenses if you get blue light reduction on them dish soap and other harsh soap will cause that coating to start chipping off.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Thanks, I'll ask the optician.

I went in today thinking I'm just gonna order the glasses, but turns out she wants to do a checkup of her own and then she recommends getting two pairs temporarily. One for reading/computer and one for "long range", which actually means everything else. I start wearing those long ranges all the time and after a month I replace them with multi-focals, while keeping the reading/computer pair as a backup (which is against biznatchio's advice). The idea is I'll first get used to wearing glasses all the time, and then I'll get used to multi-focals - this is supposedly better than getting used to both changes at once.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I wore contacts for about 6 years in high school and have worn glasses for the last 15. They are super unintrusive and I actually enjoy them and the way they look. Even if I could magic away my vision problems, I'd still probably wear glasses.

I hope I'll feel the same! :)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I'm 58 and have been wearing glasses since I was nine years old.

My current prescription is about -11.75 in each eye. Thanks to modern lens technology, my current glasses are thinner and lighter than my first pair. I just use clip-on lenses for sunglasses when needed. I tried contacts in the 90s, but they were more trouble than they were worth. The glasses are just a part of me now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Doctor Malaver posted:

while keeping the reading/computer pair as a backup (which is against biznatchio's advice)

By all means, go with the optician's advice over mine. Worst case scenario you have disorientation issues when using the backup pair after adjusting to multi-focals, and end up just using your primary pair all the time -- and that'll work just fine. Best case scenario, you don't have disorientation issues and you have a pair that's more convenient when you're settling in for a long stint of closer-up work. Hopefully you land more on the better side of that.

I can just testify that my experience with having a pair of single-focal lenses at my long-range prescription is that every time I've put them on it felt awful to the point I doubt I'll ever put them on again unless my main set of glasses gets broken; and my optometrist told me that's not an unexpected outcome.