Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

I started the daily standup call when the pm forgot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Armitag3 posted:

I started the daily standup call when the pm forgot

ogre-neeeeerds.gif

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah hold on why did you set up a new ipx network

someone spilled coffee on the box that ran the old one

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

fins posted:

i have many questions

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i made avaya IM work in an enterprise environment

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I ignored certificate errors

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I may have found some mp3s on the internet

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

fins posted:

if this isn’t a bit I need an effortpost with the full details :magical:

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
ive been learning react

Wit_sponge
Dec 29, 2008

FUUUCK

Bored Online posted:

ive been learning react

someone's gotta make the tik tok reaction vids, based.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Kazinsal posted:

if this isn’t a bit I need an effortpost with the full details :magical:

consulting for company X. they ask me to give an assessment on the current state of their it systems. predecessor "knew networking".
oh the horrors i have uncovered. i guess at some point somebody hosed around with their "router", which lead to each machine on the internal network having between 2 and 4 ip's assigned on different subnets, but with no real routing. afaict, predecessor's extent of networking knowledge was 192.168.0.0/24 or bust. weird things happen when you have multiple workgroups named WORKGROUP on multi homed desktops, each with their own weird combination of hard wired addresses. firewall? yes we have a firewall. with all interfaces allowing all traffic to everywhere. and vlans. lots and lots of vlans. vlans for every conceivable thing. except tagged vs untagged seemed to be too much for the guy, so there's not a single actually used vlan.

wiring is spaghetti. no patch panels. just wires out from the wall/ceiling straight into switches. unlabeled.

and then came the accounting system. complaint of 'its taking longer than usual to log in to it, and the server is making a funny noise.'
steps to log on: boot up a windows 98 vm, wait 10 minutes, loginto novell netware client, fire up dos based client.
then the coffee incident. the magic blue smoke was released from the "server", thankfully the hard drive clicked through a 20+ hour dd_resuce session to give something to work with.

so the new IPX network is built from whatever i could get from the 36GB ATA drive, running as a newly installed Novell 4.11 server, virtualised on a ESXi box that happened to be half set up.

another tidbit

code:
#
# SYS:ETC\NETWORKS
#
#       Network numbers
#
loopback        127             # fictitious internal loopback network
novellnet       130.57          # Novell's network number

#
# Internet networks
#
arpanet         10      arpa    # historical network
milnet          26              # not so historical military net
ucb-ether       46              # Go bears!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

fins posted:

and then came the accounting system. complaint of 'its taking longer than usual to log in to it, and the server is making a funny noise.'
steps to log on: boot up a windows 98 vm, wait 10 minutes, loginto novell netware client, fire up dos based client.

incredible

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

fins posted:

consulting for company X. they ask me to give an assessment on the current state of their it systems. predecessor "knew networking".
oh the horrors i have uncovered.

what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu- :ohno:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

02B6C4
Sep 19, 2021
i used to think machine learning was useful and cool

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Truman Peyote posted:

punching my palm

what the gently caress

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i was about to say how i didn't understand how that could happen, like, i'm no it pro but i'm convinced, if the shop wasn't too big, that i'd be able to teach myself into the position at some point.

but then i think about my brother-in-law, generic white middle-aged republican who pretends hes more progressive than he is, who took like half a semester of some unused language and is convinced he's the biggest computer expert known to man

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

yeah hold on why did you set up a new ipx network

to play doom multiplayer over LAN, duh

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i use a hackintosh

nice, I gave up on mine after System 10.15 Catalina and the RDNA drivers being dodgy

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

fins posted:

oh the horrors i have uncovered.

i

nope

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
aaaand a literal rat's nest in the ratsnest of cabling had me here since 2 am. i keep a bottle of scotch inside the remains of the "server" now.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lol

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
remember to always tip your server

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

fins posted:

i set up a new ipx network today

IPX owns though, the fact that it is non-routable is a feature that makes it perfect for LAN gaming.