Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Hed posted:

That's awesome. I have enjoyed what I've been doing (I'll write it up) but how do you trigger the #waitingFor stuff? Just links to plug-ins or HOWTOs would be fine.

My favorite thing is pulling in PDFs and marking them up, it's so much easier than it was in OneNote to take dense reports I was emailed and reference sections now with the PDF deep links.

Really need to hear about the PDFs/etc as I'm currently doing nothing like that. I have an iPad Pro with a Pencil that I'm not using now that I moved over to Obsidian, prior was doing everything on apps that were 100% handwritten.

For the #waitingFor/#discussWith, I have my 1:1s organized like so:
code:
Notes
-- Employee
   -- Employee Name
     -- Note for individual 1:1 session
The Employee Name matches perfectly to the note in the /p/ folder that is associated with the employee. In the template for the 1:1, I have the following code:

code:
## Discuss With
```dataview
task
FROM #discussWith  
where contains(text, reverse(split(this.file.folder, "/"))[0]) AND !completed AND contains(text, "#discussWith")
```
It references the name of the folder that the note is in and pulls that in to search the tasks that includes the employees name. Does that make sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Really need to hear about the PDFs/etc as I'm currently doing nothing like that. I have an iPad Pro with a Pencil that I'm not using now that I moved over to Obsidian, prior was doing everything on apps that were 100% handwritten.

For the #waitingFor/#discussWith, I have my 1:1s organized like so:
code:
Notes
-- Employee
   -- Employee Name
     -- Note for individual 1:1 session
The Employee Name matches perfectly to the note in the /p/ folder that is associated with the employee. In the template for the 1:1, I have the following code:

code:
## Discuss With
```dataview
task
FROM #discussWith  
where contains(text, reverse(split(this.file.folder, "/"))[0]) AND !completed AND contains(text, "#discussWith")
```
It references the name of the folder that the note is in and pulls that in to search the tasks that includes the employees name. Does that make sense?

file.folder is a good call out I should play with it.

The one I do a lot is a note per 1:1

The general format of the 1:1 is:
# Previous tasks
```tasks
done
tags include #PERSON
```

# @today
- Note
- Note
- Note

```tasks
not done
tags include #PERSON
```

@today get's expanded to [[2023-11-17-Friday]] which is the name of my Daily note. Then in the daily note I have a section for meetings that would look like:
- [[PERSON 1-1]] ![[PERSON 1-1#2023-11-17-Friday]]

So it'll link to the 1:1 note, but also bring in the text of that day's meeting. By using a tag per person I can also in any meeting just do a:
- [ ] #PERSON remember to talk about this

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks TraderStav. That makes sense. I really haven't messed around with dataview--I thought I had but I did use the ```query syntax to look for todos back when I was messing around.

For PDFs I get that have material for a meeting I like to drop them in a topical /media folder, then I can reference them with like **Main Article:** [[meeting_topic_v2.pdf]] and then split screen in Obsidian (snowman icon -> Split right). Then I outline in my markdown pane, I can cite entire pages with links, or sometimes I'll embed key chart pages with ![[meeting_topic_v2.pdf#page=69]] or you can highlight some content in the PDF reader pane and "Copy link to selection" then you get a deep link into the PDF like [[meeting_topic_v2.pdf#page=5&selection=85,0,86,1|My Meeting Slide Title, page 5]] that embeds well with whatever you're doing and takes you to exactly what you highlighted.

This workflow has replaced me scrawling stuff on printed PDFs in OneNote on my iPad Pro with pencil and never being able to find it again. It looks like in the roadmap they'll add full-on support for embedded annotations as soon as PDF.js rolls it in.

haruspicy
Feb 10, 2023

TraderStav posted:

What do you mean by the /p/ folder? I'm having a hard time visualizing the full structure...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Sounds like a folder named p that has first_last.md[eez nut]’s for every person they regularly interact with that has the query in it

code:
junk/
notes/
p/
    mom.md
    dad.md
    dog.md
    lowtax.md

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

haruspicy posted:

What do you mean by the /p/ folder? I'm having a hard time visualizing the full structure...

Phone posted:

Sounds like a folder named p that has first_last.md[eez nut]’s for every person they regularly interact with that has the query in it

code:
junk/
notes/
p/
    mom.md
    dad.md
    dog.md
    lowtax.md

Yes, exactly this. It's just a folder to throw notes that are specific to a person. I have subfolders in there to further organize them, but you got the idea. Sorry I skimmed over that.

afroserty
Apr 22, 2010
I'm fairly new to Obsidian and I am hoping someone can clarify for me how exactly the Properties feature is different from the front matter in regard to tags and other properties. Are they identical/different syntax wise when it come to the Dataview plug in?

I am trying to set up some templates but would like to know if there is a different/ better use case for this as they seem to be exclusive? They seem like they are just the same thing with a different look but I noticed when tags are just in a note Dataview does not pick them up but when they are in the Properties section they are returned which seems backwards. With everything else seeming quite well thought this seemed odd to me, unless it could be a plug in error?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Got a question that's hopefully not too far off-topic...

I already have my own homebrew tool for managing notes, but I would like to improve my management of books, papers, and other documents I get from other sources. Basically I'm sick of either bookmarking something on archive.org only for it to disappear a month later, or yeeting some shittily-named PDF into an ad-hoc directory structure never to be found again. Some sort of database which indexes titles and other metadata, organizes the actual files on disk, and makes it easy for me to browse & search the documents I've got. I've looked at paperless-ngx but it seems more focused on importing your receipts and such rather than working with large documents created by others. Maybe Zotero?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

Got a question that's hopefully not too far off-topic...

I already have my own homebrew tool for managing notes, but I would like to improve my management of books, papers, and other documents I get from other sources. Basically I'm sick of either bookmarking something on archive.org only for it to disappear a month later, or yeeting some shittily-named PDF into an ad-hoc directory structure never to be found again. Some sort of database which indexes titles and other metadata, organizes the actual files on disk, and makes it easy for me to browse & search the documents I've got. I've looked at paperless-ngx but it seems more focused on importing your receipts and such rather than working with large documents created by others. Maybe Zotero?

Zotero can do this, yes.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

afroserty posted:

I'm fairly new to Obsidian and I am hoping someone can clarify for me how exactly the Properties feature is different from the front matter in regard to tags and other properties. Are they identical/different syntax wise when it come to the Dataview plug in?

I am trying to set up some templates but would like to know if there is a different/ better use case for this as they seem to be exclusive? They seem like they are just the same thing with a different look but I noticed when tags are just in a note Dataview does not pick them up but when they are in the Properties section they are returned which seems backwards. With everything else seeming quite well thought this seemed odd to me, unless it could be a plug in error?

Properties is just a different view into the front matter and you can toggle it on/off.

Are you using 'tag' or 'tags' in the property? In Dataview?

I think what you're seeing is talked about here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ObsidianMD/comments/16e58pv/dataview_stopped_fetching_tags_queries_after_the/ and here:
https://github.com/blacksmithgu/obsidian-dataview/issues/2064

I rarely frontmatter tag things but usually just tag in text so hadn't noticed an issue.

afroserty
Apr 22, 2010

Hughlander posted:

Properties is just a different view into the front matter and you can toggle it on/off.

Are you using 'tag' or 'tags' in the property? In Dataview?

I think what you're seeing is talked about here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ObsidianMD/comments/16e58pv/dataview_stopped_fetching_tags_queries_after_the/ and here:
https://github.com/blacksmithgu/obsidian-dataview/issues/2064

I rarely frontmatter tag things but usually just tag in text so hadn't noticed an issue.

I was hoping that was the case and thought I was just missing something obvious, thank you for clearing that up for me. Cheers, that makes sense that it is just a quirk or me just not using the right syntax. Overthinking it :dumb:

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
the fine folks at linuxserver.io have put out a docker image for self-hosted obsidian, really handy as it's just obsidian running via remote desktop on the server so you can have an obsidian "web ui" available from anywhere

it takes some set up but very needs suiting for me as i can't install obsidian at work

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Mad Wack posted:

the fine folks at linuxserver.io have put out a docker image for self-hosted obsidian, really handy as it's just obsidian running via remote desktop on the server so you can have an obsidian "web ui" available from anywhere

it takes some set up but very needs suiting for me as i can't install obsidian at work

So the advantage of this is that it's a web based obsidian that you can access from anywhere rather than an app that syncs? If all of the plugins and everything else works the same as the app this may be a great solution for those of us that can't install and/or sync obsidian with our work machines.

Guessing the best approach is to reverse proxy so that it can be externally facing, does it have a login?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

TraderStav posted:

So the advantage of this is that it's a web based obsidian that you can access from anywhere rather than an app that syncs? If all of the plugins and everything else works the same as the app this may be a great solution for those of us that can't install and/or sync obsidian with our work machines.

Guessing the best approach is to reverse proxy so that it can be externally facing, does it have a login?

I had rolled my own for two reasons:
1) To have an always on pdf scanner / OCR that would sync the results back to my mobile phone. Running that plugin on mobile was a bit flakey.
2) For the case where I wanted to look something up with a full screen and keyboard and was on a machine that I didn't control.

By default I set everything up through traefik that requires a plex login if it's not coming from my local network.

Just reading the README.md for the repo though: https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-obsidian
CUSTOM_USER HTTP Basic auth username, abc is default.
PASSWORD HTTP Basic auth password, abc is default. If unset there will be no auth

Looks like they do HTTP Basic auth.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

TraderStav posted:

use wireguard or tailscale

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

The Fool posted:

If you can’t install obsidian on a device what makes you think you are installing tailscale or wire guard?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

because I don't know how to read

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

TraderStav posted:

it still syncs and maintains flat files, just on your server and it supports all of the same functionality - i personally use syncthing to move everything around and i can confirm it provides near realtime (~1 min max) sync for obsidian to any of my apps

it comes with basic HTTP auth support but I stuck it behind SWAG, which is also made by the linuxserver team, I use it for Authelia SSO to my externally facing stuff. you could probably use something like traefik which is what's hot these days for reverse proxy stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

The Fool posted:

Hughlander posted:

If you can’t install obsidian on a device what makes you think you are installing tailscale or wire guard?

The Fool posted:

because I don't know how to read

You can install them on another device, and add that subnet (or just a /32 IP if you want) to an access list. Tailscale will then allow you to access that subnet/IP, even though there is no agent directly on the device.