Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

yeah actually they will posted:

i think about this lyric all the drat time

It bothers me that they have a sound that is so infectious (gently caress your lexus) because I think so many of their lines are corny as gently caress and in such easily solved ways but I gotta give em that they have a style that works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
another nomination

Aesop Rock - Rings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npcGql9Ir6Y

Aesop Rock is best know for his large lexicon and verbose lyrics, both of which are on display in Rings. Expertly utilizing internal rhyme and homonyms he paints a flowing story with complex stanzas. The lyrics themselves are of his love and loss of art and come from a place of personal vulnerability, but the unique aspect that has always attracted me to Aesop is his poetic meter; the stressed/unstressed patterns he creates by emphasizing certain lyrics gives Rings a sort of trochee meter. Take the second verse...

It was blooming addiction
Amiss in the pushing of pigment
Book like a tattooed pigskin, look
Pinhead kids of the minute
Drank Kool-Aid from a tube of acrylic
And it grew up into linseed oil over linen
Joy to the poison, voice of the resin
Capture a map of the gesture
Back up, add a little accurate fat to the figure

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 26, 2022

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
also someone get a busta nomination in here. i cant choose between woo ha, gimme some more, or break ya neck

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Kuvo posted:

also someone get a busta nomination in here. i cant choose between woo ha, gimme some more, or break ya neck

can't write it up now but woo hah is up there for me. i mean they all are but woo hah above all

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

see

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

The only thing you need to do right here is

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Is nod your loving head

copy
Jul 26, 2007

buffalo all day posted:

The only thing you need to do right here is

buffalo all day posted:

Is nod your loving head

:haibrow:

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWnnDSOI0Ss
injury reserve - wow

I know injury reserve aren't as big as some of the other people nominated itt and after the untimely death of Stepa J. Groggs in 2020 it's unlikely they ever will be but over the past 5 years or so since this release they've become one of my favourite groups. probably i'll come around to thinking their last two albums are better one day but for now i've listened to Live From the Dentist Office so much you could replay it by running a record needle thru the grooves in my brain. i went with Wow because it was my immediate favourite but if any other people have stronger feelings about a different injury reserve track i will gladly rescind

Epic Prison Guy
Aug 1, 2020

injury reserve - wow

I know injury reserve aren't as big as some of the other people nominated itt and after the untimely death of Stepa J. Groggs in 2020 it's unlikely they ever will be but over the past 5 years or so since this release they've become one of my favourite groups. probably i'll come around to thinking their last two albums are better one day but for now i've listened to Live From the Dentist Office so much you could replay it by running a record needle thru the grooves in my brain. i went with Wow because it was my immediate favourite but if any other people have stronger feelings about a different injury reserve track i will gladly rescind

I just listened to it, I definately dig it wow wow wow

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

injury reserve - wow

injury reserve rules, gonna go back and take another deep dive into their older stuff

The Saviour
Feb 19, 2006

Kendrick Lamar, is one of the best rappers circa 2015-2022. His albums have pushed into the mainstream at a time where raos are defiened by being shorter, simpler, or soundcloud style.

My favourite, and probably hardest hitting track is, The Blacker the Berry.

I shouldn't need to go into the racial tension and hightened politcial divsion of our current climate. It is succinctly put by Kendrick over three verses of frustration, anger, and hypocritical thoughts. Not to mention the snapping drums and melancholy strings on the arrangement.

I would also highlight this part of verse three:
It's funny how Zulu and Xhosa might go to war
Two tribal armies that want to build and destroy
Remind me of these Compton Crip gangs that live next door
Beefin' with Pirus, only death settle the score
So don't matter how much I say I like to preach with the Panthers
Or tell Georgia State "Marcus Garvey got all the answers"
Or try to celebrate February like it's my B-Day
Or eat watermelon, chicken, and Kool-Aid on weekdays
Or jump high enough to get Michael Jordan endorsements
Or watch BET cause urban support is important
So why did I weep when Trayvon Martin was in the street?
When gang banging make me kill a nigga blacker than me
?

Powerful, thoughtful, rhythmic. One of the best rap songs between 2010/2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghv-qwwmG6M

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

The Saviour posted:

Kendrick Lamar, is one of the best rappers circa 2015-2022. His albums have pushed into the mainstream at a time where raos are defiened by being shorter, simpler, or soundcloud style.

My favourite, and probably hardest hitting track is, The Blacker the Berry.

I shouldn't need to go into the racial tension and hightened politcial divsion of our current climate. It is succinctly put by Kendrick over three verses of frustration, anger, and hypocritical thoughts. Not to mention the snapping drums and melancholy strings on the arrangement.

I would also highlight this part of verse three:
It's funny how Zulu and Xhosa might go to war
Two tribal armies that want to build and destroy
Remind me of these Compton Crip gangs that live next door
Beefin' with Pirus, only death settle the score
So don't matter how much I say I like to preach with the Panthers
Or tell Georgia State "Marcus Garvey got all the answers"
Or try to celebrate February like it's my B-Day
Or eat watermelon, chicken, and Kool-Aid on weekdays
Or jump high enough to get Michael Jordan endorsements
Or watch BET cause urban support is important
So why did I weep when Trayvon Martin was in the street?
When gang banging make me kill a nigga blacker than me
?

Powerful, thoughtful, rhythmic. One of the best rap songs between 2010/2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghv-qwwmG6M

I know seconding isn't necessary but seconding this

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
hey insane anime you forgot my submission, Fat Cats & Bigga Fish, in tha OP

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Epic Prison Guy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk5_KpZjyOc

my nomination goes to the Wu-tang, hands down my favorite group. Everyone loves triump, C.R.E.A.M, wu tang aint nothing to gently caress with etc etc. Those are all great songs, but this one is my favorite. I dont know why it's just hip to me. Peace, hulking retard out.
Fuckin love Wu-Tang videos with Bokeem Woodbine in them, and I'll never skip that track. Even just thinking about the last part of the Gravel Pit video cracks me up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of-lpfsBR8U
Change my name to Bo Rockhard. ty

E: I just noticed your link has the video thumbnail, but just an album cover. It's great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUz5_UlvqQ8

EE: vvvv I wasn't really a fan of Gravel Pit. If I was gonna actually nominate a Wu song it would be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_6QMqQwqw8

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 5, 2022

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

seconding gravel pit

e: to be fair, anything RZA touches is platinum

freemandela fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 4, 2022

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
I have thought on this more. I know there's an MOP track, Cold as Ice, in this thread already. But cmon. It has to be Ante Up. Remix or not, either one. Cmon. Quit playing.
That instagram guy driving his kid to school, slamming his kid's face into the bowl of cereal and jumping up out of his seatbelt mouthing "BUSSA RHYMES NOW!!! M.O.P. NOW!!!" is accurate to how every rap nerd, actual murderer and everyone in between feels when that song comes on.

"Kidnap that fool" to me is the standout lyric (and in the remix, busta saying "gun-butt that fool", honorable mention). they're talking about taking rings off and so on, and then bam, kidnapping. Like, that's a lot more of a commitment to the serious gank than just chain-snatching. Like you have to have a vehicle and a place to take them to, tie them up, someone to guard them or something, etc. And we're talking a multi day operation. I just feel like Billy and Fame are so hyped from how insanely hot the beat is and how badly they want to rob everybody that they aren't thinking things through. Real unreliable narrator moment, meta-narrative emphasizing just how raw mash out posse are. They'll randomly decide to fully kidnap somebody in th middle of a 15 second stickup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqPxJp5OJW0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLT68mI5Pwc
edit: lololol there's no dirty version with the video with busta in the furry robe fist-pumping... here's the proper poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIqfQ-khI5s

Deep Glove Bruno fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 5, 2022

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

if you don't reach for the volume knob the instant the Ante Up beat hits, we can't be friends.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i'll change my nomination to ante up. i am capable of reason

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

what happened to op? is this gonna happen?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

going to answer your question about GA’s relationship with the subforum by nominating this immortal classic for the tournament

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYxAiK6VnXw

The Saviour
Feb 19, 2006

I have 2 more nominations I think should be included. First up, an instant classic, that meeds to get recognition:

I think if we need seperate the song from the artist. I need to make a case for Exhibit C can 1 track define an entire career of an artisit? Maybe, Black Rob has Whoa, the aforementioned MOP have Ante Up, countless other rappers have that one track that defines their legacy, and despite the amount if tracks they release they are forever tied to it. The same way that Jay Electronica has this track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lrVO3pPDP4

A just Blaze masterpiece of a beat, and heady booming track, that takes you on a journey. When Jay released the Entrnal Sunshine mixtape, the internet was blown away, i remember the hype, and that on message board Jay was seen and the next superstar. After Exhibit C it was hard to argue against it, with strong delivery and style reminiscent of Jay-Z his lyrics and ability were outstanding.

"I'm bringing ancient mathematics back to modern man
My mama told me, "Never throw a stone and hide your hand"

Whatever happened next Jay Electronica dropped a track that fired shots that year and made the internet think he was the 2nd coming.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Great news - it's going to happen this evening.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
weird Al has won the tournament with the legendary hit song "White And Nerdy

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

barnold posted:

Should be the background music of this subforum tbqh h2h qft

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

barnold posted:

Unexpected, but y'know... Can't hate

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Grevlek posted:

i nominate Still D.R.E. by Dr. Dre featuring Snoop Dogg from 2001 released in 1999

here is an family friendly edited version from youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CL6n0FJZpk

-bar quality / creativity
in my opinion, the weakest part of the song. the good doctor likes to remind us of the activities that constitute his life, and he does so once again, but now telling you about how his life has impacted your own life. jay-z wrote the lyrics, billionaire to billionaire, much respect

the pivotal passage:

-flow / delivery
i mean let's be real, there aint nothing like the straightforward delivery and swagger the spills out the good doctor's pie hole everytime he rocks the mic. snoop does his thing on the hook, just dropping a couple of pennies on that 95.

-production / beat
this is where things get interesting. Scott Storch is probably the role model for many of the posters in this subforum. it's simple, it's loving classy, and you know exactly what is 'bout to happen when you hear it. dre will always be a better producer than a rapper, but in many respects he's a director/executive producer of a lil film called 'Life: aka the Game'

-historical significance / game changing qualities / year of release
the return of the king. in my opinion, this album launched a second renaissance of west coast inspired mainstream rap, without this we wouldn't have eminem, 50cent, and all the other street hustlers that carried us until the club-hop scene of the mid to late 2000s. with only 3 solo studio albums to his name, and the worst one of them better than most of the other albums to come out that same year ( compton 2015 ). the good doctor provided the soundtrack of my childhood, of my teenage years, of my wistful late 20s, and i hope he releases one more teaching me how to enjoy my time at the top while we wait for the game to stop

my song was on at the superbowl was yours???

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Not a lot of ladies on the list!

Lauryn Hill - Everything is Everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3_dOWYHS7I

The song has a sweet Stevie Wonder feel to it and she hits a lot of his vocal phrasings in a nice way, at least to my ears. The rap verses are great too.

L-Boogie spars with stars and constellations/Then came down for a little conversation/Adjacent to the king, fear no human being/Roll with cherubims to Nassau Coliseum/Now hear this mixture, where Hip Hop meets scripture/Develop a negative into a positive picture

Might be some nostalgia, this album was pretty hard to avoid that summer and fall it came out, you could walk down a street or through a college campus and hear it playing in 5 different windows. She did the soul/hip hop mashup well, though, without making it feel like a gimmick, and this is a great song.

It’s almost March, we should get a bracket made!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
GZA ft. RZA - Liquid Swords

good rear end song, one of the greatest beats of all time

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

With this forum closing soon, are we going to see the tournament soon?

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

TV Zombie posted:

With this forum closing soon, are we going to see the tournament soon?
who do you think should win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Shook Ones Part II.