Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Freudian slippers posted:

New Category: Poetry of the Year - CarlCX' epic presentation of Chase Sherman vs Waldo Cortes-Acosta

That is absolutely loving incredible :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I'd like to nominate a couple fights that are arguably worse than Namajunas - Esparza.

Worst Fight of the Year

Bader vs Kongo 2, with two very large men avoiding any physical contact for minutes at a time of throwing then falling onto each other and lying there breathing heavily for the rest of the round, until Cheick literally looked like he was having a heart attack from the physical effort of throwing WMMA air jabs and refused to get off the canvas for the decision.

- OR -

Storely - MVP, which had approximately two things happen each round (an MVP punch and a Storely takedown), for one of the most egregious examples of one dimensional fighters making GBS threads the bed in around 5 or so years I've been watching MMA.

Unlike Namajunas - Esparza neither of them had any upside, like being funny as hell, making Dana mad, or destroying Rose's chance at a redemption arc. They also both happened within like 10 days which really maximised the psychic damage.

Speaking of which:

Greatest schadenfreude of the year:

Rose: "I'm the best!" - then performs so abysmally that she probably won't get a chance to win her title back from someone she already beat twice.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Freudian slippers posted:

New Category: Poetry of the Year - CarlCX' epic presentation of Chase Sherman vs Waldo Cortes-Acosta

Poetry of the year might have some competition with the tochinoshin poem

jmzero posted:

In the middle of the dohyo, our footprints face each other
Recording our dance.
But near the tawara, where I struggled, there is only one set.
Why did you leave me then, brave tree?
Ah my friend, it is there that I carried you.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
idk which category this should go in, but it is definitely in one of the "trash talk" style categories

https://twitter.com/pelunaton/status/1593806924184780803

some strong Nate Diaz energy

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Nov 20, 2022

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also possible comeback of the year

https://twitter.com/_Yodsanan/status/1593849526795882496

Lee vs Abbasov

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Nov 20, 2022

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
potential KO of the year?

https://twitter.com/jedigoodman/status/1594035020062027777

UFC Fight Night: Nzechukwu vs. Cuțelaba, Natália Silva vs Tereza Bledá

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

There's been some crazy KOs this year that will be hard to top, but it might be worth having some more categories - best WMMA KO, best punch/kick KO, etc.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Obligatory Dumbest Career Move James Krause so blatantly leaking insider information about his fighters that he ended his gambling/coaching career, got at least one of his fighter's cut, put the future of sports betting into question, put a PPV into jeopardy, and forced a number of fighters to choose between losing a paycheque or taking a giant risk with a last minute camp change.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

COPE 27 posted:

Obligatory Dumbest Career Move James Krause so blatantly leaking insider information about his fighters that he ended his gambling/coaching career, got at least one of his fighter's cut, put the future of sports betting into question, put a PPV into jeopardy, and forced a number of fighters to choose between losing a paycheque or taking a giant risk with a last minute camp change.

Nomination for comedy in MMA but you can only vote for it in one or the other category

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

FOTY: Wonderboy - Holland

e: ahh crap it's not over yet
e2: it's over now and it ruled

Also POTY Wonderboy putting on a striking clinic against a bigger, stronger, younger fighter.

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 4, 2022

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Knockout of the Year: Sho Patrick Usami vs Beynoah (Punch) - RIZIN 40

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Worst career move of the year: Nobuyuki Sakakibara agreeing to a best vs best event and going 0-5

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
2022 Year End Awards ballots now open for business!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020881

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Is there going to be a 2023 thread (or have I missed it if there is?)

Refereeing Incompetence: Osiris Maia for Jessica Andrade vs. Lauren Murphy allowing the fight continue for all three rounds when it was clear the fight was over by the end of Round 1, and ESPECIALLY by the end of Round 2. - UFC 283 1/21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Is there going to be a 2023 thread (or have I missed it if there is?)

Refereeing Incompetence: Osiris Maia for Jessica Andrade vs. Lauren Murphy allowing the fight continue for all three rounds when it was clear the fight was over by the end of Round 1, and ESPECIALLY by the end of Round 2. - UFC 283 1/21

yeah, and we're going to discuss which awards to keep, combine, or discard