Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
I want to talk about the funky fictional wiki because SCP-173 died... RIP SCP-173 :rip:

What are your favourite SCPs

Updog Scully fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
I read a lot of SCPs many years ago, then in 2014 or so I came back to the wiki and discovered that a series of vicious edit wars had led to the rule "no more SCPs that are clearly copies of vegeta"

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
there was a big issue with copyright or trademark stuff involving SCP because of some dude in Russia, and them having strange laws, that really hosed with the whole thing. I'll look for a summary but if anyone feels the need, post your own.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

I believe the logo was trademarked by some guy in Russia, who then sold a load of merch with the rights. Eventually he threatened to take down the Russian branch of the site unless he could advertise his merch on the site, and tried to sue other people who were selling merch legitimately. There's more info on the legal fund page but most of the other details are legal minutiae.

The whole thing is especially odd considering the SCP logo is a default asset in the Adobe creative suite. The greatest villain of the SCP universe is IP law.

Updog Scully fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 6, 2022

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

Aglet56 posted:

I read a lot of SCPs many years ago, then in 2014 or so I came back to the wiki and discovered that a series of vicious edit wars had led to the rule "no more SCPs that are clearly copies of vegeta"

SCP-049 got rewritten in 2018 to conform to the site's "higher standards", which ended up making it about twice as long. I think it ended up better but the site has a problem with length creep. Every new one is like a 20 minute read.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
I like the random creepypastas. No rhyme or reason, just "hey, what if the people in this VHS develop self-awareness?" Trying to make a coherent setting just bogged the whole thing down, whether it was having to read 6 other name-dropped entries to understand one, or the "my SCP is TOTALLY more dangerous/wackier/more edgy than yours" poo poo.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Short and sweet is scary

Super long SCPs with dialogue and names and 5 different entities to keep track of should just be their own short stories because the majority are not fun to read as SCPs

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
As soon as I see anything like "SCP-xyz is a memetic cognitohazard..." I'm out.

Just give me pan-dimensional vending machines.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
I'm a sucker for a lot of different types of entries, but the different groups are some of the more interesting content to delve into IMO, especially the tales involved. Are We Cool Yet has some awesome stories and Manna Charitable Foundation has some underrated content too. The more obvious stuff like Prometheus Labs, Wondertainment, and the Circus are all solid picks to read up on as well.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

A good SCP

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3664805

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Adjacent thematically to SCP is Mystery Flesh Pit National Park, a tourist attraction / geobiological mine carved into the upper layers of a slumbering super organism. There's also content scattered around on its Twitter and Reddit pages as well.

Vernii fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

it's an all-time best for how clean the entire concept's design and implementation is