Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

speaking of god hand, I haven't played that in at least fifteen years, but my brain still wants to press up on the stick to dodge high attacks. oh well, just another obstacle on the road to mastery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

There's a very helpful tutorial in the training mode now and I learned some things I didn't know before, even after reaching Wude last year when it came out. For instance what the difference between Deflect and Parry is: Deflect is blocking attacks at the last moment, Parry is when you Deflect specific attacks and the enemy gets stunned. This means Parry doesn't have a tighter timing (like I thought before) but only works on certain attacks. Which attacks? Unfortunately the game doesn't tell you but it mostly seems to be at the end of strings or single strikes with longer startup.

Now as for those glowing attacks, the tutorial explicitly tells you those should be avoided outright. You can Deflect them in principle but you'll take a lot of structure damage.

The training mode tutorial now also makes explicit that Parrying/Avoiding certain attacks leaves the enemy open for various combos and gives you examples on how to do them.

All in all I wish the game had made this clearer from the start because I remember being very confused about some of this when I started playing. I wish they'd still have clearer tells in-game about how to deal with certain attacks, maybe a flash like in Revengeance before attacks which you can Parry.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

what a cool game. mainlined it this week and beat it in about 10 hours, so unfortunately it's a little short. but looking at all these goals, arenas, master difficulty, and this "wude" ending, I think I'll be playing it a bit longer.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cannot for the life of me beat the final boss. I can get to him untouched but then I’m hosed he’s too fast and strong. What do I gotta do? Learn to parry?

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Yeah unfortunately. I just play this fight super passively and try to parry/avoid his bullshit as best as I can. The biggest punish opportunities are after his sweep, his flurry of blows and that claw lunge in the 2nd phase.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
yeah I just stay away from him and wait for him to use one of his lunging attacks since they're much slower than his up close stuff. Every time I've tried staying close to him he just whoops my rear end

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

CharlestonJew posted:

yeah I just stay away from him and wait for him to use one of his lunging attacks since they're much slower than his up close stuff. Every time I've tried staying close to him he just whoops my rear end

So fight him a bit like you would the Museum boss? Keep a distance and then close in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So fight him a bit like you would the Museum boss? Keep a distance and then close in?

that's how I do it at least. when you stay away in 1st phase typically he'll just do either a front kick into a combo or the slide kick, and both of those should give you enough time to react, dodge accordingly, and attack. 2nd phase is much the same but he'll sometimes throw in that flurry combo, which you can also reliably dodge once you get the timing down.