Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

A lot of it probably depends on the person's health going into the surgery. In my case it was originally going to be an outpatient procedure, but then my bile duct got blocked and I spent a week in a hospital bed on an all-liquid diet before they could safely take the gallbladder out. After that, it was about a week of recovery at home before I felt strong enough to go back to work (even though it was still laparoscopic surgery).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

A few weeks before my surgery I had an MRI of the area so the surgeon could map out where all the ducts and tubes and such were so she could best work out reconnecting paths and all that. I'm guessing that helped speed up the actual surgery.

In a consultation she said gallbladder removal surgeries have a 97% rate of zero complications (I take that to mean they go as planned with no surprises), then she added that most of those remaining 3% are due to emergency situations and not operations like mine that had over a month of prep time.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Gallbladder removals are the second most common cause of emergent surgeries, if I remember right.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Guess who has no thumbs and just got his gallbladder removed

This guy.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Foxfire_ posted:

This guy.

I didn't even know cats had gallbladders, although I guess it isn't completely surprising.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Foxfire_ posted:

This guy.

Poor baby! Is he ok?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

He's doing pretty well. Everything is healing fine and he started eating once he got home, so that feeding tube isn't actually needed

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
My parents both have theirs out. My reflux is under control, but my guts are just gently caress

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

How's it going OP?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm scrubbing two gallbladder cases this afternoon!! Yeah!!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

how many gallbladders are in a case?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bad Purchase posted:

how many gallbladders are in a case?

Just one, but they're usually full of stones

Gallstones are weird, they're always super smooth because they rub against each other in the gallbladder like river rocks

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m still mad they wouldn’t give me my gallbladder after it was removed. I want any piece of my body that gets removed but they stole it :(

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.
I have a vhs tape somewhere of my wife’s gall bladder removal years ago. She has lovely intestines

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

DamnCanadian posted:

I have a vhs tape somewhere of my wife’s gall bladder removal years ago. She has lovely intestines

I have one of my mom’s gallbladder removal, the best part is they taped it over someone else’s procedure so there’s some of that at the end. That person had some disgusting looking dirty guts.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What does a Gallbladder attack feel like? How do I know I'm going to be a future victim?

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

It feels alarmingly like a heart attack (note: I haven’t had one of those to compare).

Shortness of breath, pain in the middle of your chest radiating into the back, and nausea, I also broke out in a sweat but that might have been because of the pain? They’re usually triggered by eating food with high fat content, so it’ll come on within a couple hours after a meal. The bad attacks that I had all happened while eating but I’ve heard that’s not the most likely scenario.

As for predicting it, I’m not sure we can!

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

For me it felt like the whole of my upper abdomen under the ribs was a towel being slowly wrung tighter and tighter. And no matter what I did (mostly hot baths) did anything to lessen it. These would last a few hours. The pain is constant, awful, relentless.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 3, 2022

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

When I went back for my follow up they went over my lab results from when they counted and measured the stones, but they didn't keep any of it. They stole my stones!

The biggest stone was apparently partially embedded in the wall of the gallbladder and made it hard for any other stones to slide by and get out.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The biggest one I've ever seen was the size and shape of a chicken egg

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
you aint a real goon unless you needed yours removed in your twenties.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

sigher posted:

What does a Gallbladder attack feel like? How do I know I'm going to be a future victim?

I had significant abdominal pain, but my tolerance is so high it took me forever to actually go to the hospital for it. By the time I went in it was apparently about ready to explode, and had stones about the size of the tip of my index finger.

I think the more important signs to watch out for are ones that I only learned about after the fact: gas, oily poop, light-colored poop, and some degree of diarrhea. For months a lot of the time after a meal it was like I had swallowed a coyote or my stomach was generating whalesong - it was loud. The pain didn't start for a long time after the other symptoms, but since there is poo poo in terms of public education about gallbladder stuff I had no idea anything was going on until it was emergency surgery time.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I think the more important signs to watch out for are ones that I only learned about after the fact: gas, oily poop, light-colored poop, and some degree of diarrhea.

Well poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Peggy Edson posted:

What the gently caress