Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Brutal Garcon posted:

Yeah, a little. It's not super obvious on the two most natural pages to start looking, I noticed it on another page first which convinced me too look harder

I'm sure that's how it works for all of us

I had noticed one of the pieces hours before starting the golden path but that wasn't the first one I realized what it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Do any puzzles or Easter eggs follow from that cool crt version of every screen? I’ve finished the game, but I know there’s more stuff out there, like the Easter egg behind the wall at the place where you start the game. I thought there’d be something, but maybe the crt is itself the Easter egg.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Late to the party and all, but just finished up this game and had a blast! Didn't expect for both the combat difficulty to get so intense and for the puzzles to get just as, if not more, intense, but I loved both aspects and got both endings (actually got the second ending first and thought I was locked out from the first, but thankfully you can force it to go the first route despite it not being immediately apparent how). I won't say that I was able to do everything without hints as I did need a hint to realize that finding at least 50% of the fairies is necessary for golden path as I thought they, while fun, were totally optional (honestly it confuses me why the manual has 100% written on the fairy page instead of 50% as that could be a good clue to spur a player on. Hmm, maybe it did require 100% in the past?)

In regards to the endings: I liked the game and all, but I felt like the endings were kinda weak? Especially the golden path ending: you just quite literally show the instruction booklet to the heir, they cry, and poof, they're outta jail and everything is sunshine and rainbows in a manner of seconds. What exactly does showing the instruction booklet imply, and how does it help? I thought that the golden path was going to be us actually tapping into some ancient wisdom or solution to the crisis, like a way to stop the black ooze and machinery or whatever blight or curse is ongoing. Maybe it's just the fact that I haven't bothered translating the language and learning the true backstory, and maybe there is some sort of thing written in the instruction booklet that tells them what to do to help break the cycle? I mean, I still like the game and got a great catharsis from solving the golden path, but the actual ending just felt really shallow and blunt to a comical degree? I dunno, I guess I was just expecting something a bit more razzle-dazzle, like instead of just literally handing over the booklet, there's some sort of glowy ascendancy and fireworks as we shatter the heir's bonds and transform the world back to niceness, and maybe the ending credits could be us traveling around helping repair the world and freeing the jailed spirits with the teamwork of scavengers and all the monsters and such. It just feels like there is so much unexplained and I don't really know what was solved and how...

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 25, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Honestly, the text in the manual that explains the story seems like gibberish to me. It really captures the feel of a poorly translated manual that maybe is too literal in word choice or makes genuine mistakes. There’s more stuff to do beyond the ending, if you haven’t found the pringles man trophy and all the rest yet.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

FutureCop posted:

Late to the party and all, but just finished up this game and had a blast! Didn't expect for both the combat difficulty to get so intense and for the puzzles to get just as, if not more, intense, but I loved both aspects and got both endings (actually got the second ending first and thought I was locked out from the first, but thankfully you can force it to go the first route despite it not being immediately apparent how). I won't say that I was able to do everything without hints as I did need a hint to realize that finding at least 50% of the fairies is necessary for golden path as I thought they, while fun, were totally optional (honestly it confuses me why the manual has 100% written on the fairy page instead of 50% as that could be a good clue to spur a player on. Hmm, maybe it did require 100% in the past?)

In regards to the endings: I liked the game and all, but I felt like the endings were kinda weak? Especially the golden path ending: you just quite literally show the instruction booklet to the heir, they cry, and poof, they're outta jail and everything is sunshine and rainbows in a manner of seconds. What exactly does showing the instruction booklet imply, and how does it help? I thought that the golden path was going to be us actually tapping into some ancient wisdom or solution to the crisis, like a way to stop the black ooze and machinery or whatever blight or curse is ongoing. Maybe it's just the fact that I haven't bothered translating the language and learning the true backstory, and maybe there is some sort of thing written in the instruction booklet that tells them what to do to help break the cycle? I mean, I still like the game and got a great catharsis from solving the golden path, but the actual ending just felt really shallow and blunt to a comical degree? I dunno, I guess I was just expecting something a bit more razzle-dazzle, like instead of just literally handing over the booklet, there's some sort of glowy ascendancy and fireworks as we shatter the heir's bonds and transform the world back to niceness, and maybe the ending credits could be us traveling around helping repair the world and freeing the jailed spirits with the teamwork of scavengers and all the monsters and such. It just feels like there is so much unexplained and I don't really know what was solved and how...

if someone gave you a booklet precisely detailing how you're a NPC in a videogame stuck in an endless loop, would that change what you're doing? assuming a world where there's not already an evangelical pseudochurch of redditors who believe that anyway

the spirits aren't really 'jailed', just dead. you talk to them when you get ghosted. whatever's left in those boxes... you meet one of those in the ghost world too, probably don't want to let any more out

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

FutureCop posted:

ok, so (spoilers for 100% completion) lets pretend that the manual, to the Ruin Seeker and the Heir, doesn't include game mechanics. The Heir WAS a Ruin Seeker, if the Ruin Seeker slays the Heir they become the Heir. this has happened an uncountable number of times, and will continue forever if they let it.

What the Ruin seeker has in their hands is proof of this, that fighting is pointless. everyone who set this system up is dead, and the only thing it facilitates is suffering (both the Seekers and Heirs, but also the immortal remnants trapped inside of the obelisks). in that scene the Ruin Seeker is telling the Heir "We are the same, and I do not want to fight you".

Also, thematically, it's nice, as a child, to play a hard video game with your mom or your dad! that's the feeling that shouldice was raching for in that moment and as someone who used to occasionally do that it hits!

Also, regarding fairies there is a reward for 100%, it's related to the beyond the far shore ARG. you probably have a few of the treasures, it's probably worth getting them all if you're looking for more puzzlin.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

if someone gave you a booklet precisely detailing how you're a NPC in a videogame stuck in an endless loop, would that change what you're doing? assuming a world where there's not already an evangelical pseudochurch of redditors who believe that anyway

the spirits aren't really 'jailed', just dead. you talk to them when you get ghosted. whatever's left in those boxes... you meet one of those in the ghost world too, probably don't want to let any more out

egg tats posted:

ok, so (spoilers for 100% completion) lets pretend that the manual, to the Ruin Seeker and the Heir, doesn't include game mechanics. The Heir WAS a Ruin Seeker, if the Ruin Seeker slays the Heir they become the Heir. this has happened an uncountable number of times, and will continue forever if they let it.

What the Ruin seeker has in their hands is proof of this, that fighting is pointless. everyone who set this system up is dead, and the only thing it facilitates is suffering (both the Seekers and Heirs, but also the immortal remnants trapped inside of the obelisks). in that scene the Ruin Seeker is telling the Heir "We are the same, and I do not want to fight you".

Also, thematically, it's nice, as a child, to play a hard video game with your mom or your dad! that's the feeling that shouldice was raching for in that moment and as someone who used to occasionally do that it hits!

Also, regarding fairies there is a reward for 100%, it's related to the beyond the far shore ARG. you probably have a few of the treasures, it's probably worth getting them all if you're looking for more puzzlin.

As long as I just went with the flow and general feel of the ending, then yeah, I was mostly picking up on what you guys are talking about : showing the booklet to the heir shows that they are just within a "game" and can therefore escape it. But...

*Going through the golden path successfully gives you the final pages to the booklet, which then and only then allows you to give the booklet to the heir. However, the final pages the golden path gives you are just the front cover and front cover insert that has a nice message from the developers to the player: this really isn't anything particularly substantial in the grand scheme of things and you'd think that just showing the booklet with all of the many other pages you've collected pre-golden path would be sufficient to show the heir that they're in a game. I mean, they don't seriously need the cover to be 100% proof that it's an instruction booklet, do they? Isn't it pretty obvious when looking at even a small amount of the other pages? In fact, you'd think that the final pages you'd get from the golden path would be the backstory/lore pages: then it would make sense that you can only give it to the heir now because now they can see that the story they've been following is just a game story and and maybe the untranslated story text reveals a better ending to strive for. But again, these backstory/lore pages can be acquired without the golden path, again bringing into question the golden path's necessity to achieve this secret ending.

*Just because the booklet reveals that they are in a "game", it's the only world that they know of, no? They can't just use this knowledge to somehow deplug from the game world as if it were the matrix and ascend to the 'real world' and their real bodies and leave it all behind, can they? So if the heir's duty is to be some sort of sacrificial pillar that keeps something evil at bay, does it really make any difference to know that's the case since it doesn't make the responsibility any less real? The world they live in will come to ruin if the heir doesn't do their job, and the booklet doesn't give another solution to it, does it? If taken like that, you'd think the knowledge that they are just pawns in a game would not free them and make them happy, but rather make them even more super depressed and nihilistic (but then again, maybe that is what they're doing in the credits scenes? giving up and just goofing off and letting the world eventually collapse because whatever, we're just pawns and we won't be part of your system even if everything and everyone dies from whatever the heir was holding back?)

*Is the significance of handing over the booklet to the heir dependent upon the mere existence of the booklet, or the existence of something written within the booklet? Judging from the way the heir flips through the booklet and finds something, I'm assuming the significance is related to something written in there, which calls into question whether the player should be allowed to hand over the booklet without knowing how to translate the language since that would leave them in the dark of the significance of whatever the heir read within. That's the exact position I find myself in where I did enough to solve the golden path but not enough to learn the language, and I imagine many other players are in the same position as well. You'd think that the player might need to do something else to prove they know the language before being allowed to hand it over to the heir if that's the case, since otherwise it leaves me where I am: confused as to what just happened. Times like this I wish it had something like Nier had where they quiz you on the plot right before the end, or maybe one of those copy-protection puzzles you get in old DOS games to prove ownership, haha.

Again, I might be thinking about this too hard and should just accept the broad stroke that our quest for additional knowledge somehow opened up another avenue for solving the problem, breaking the loop. It's still a super cool game and I loved it and all that. Kinda reminds me a bit of my experience with Undertale where I thought the ending had a bit too many unnecessary and overcomplicated twists and it could've just been kept simple to keep the emotional flow, though I suppose in TUNIC's case, it was the opposite where it was kept too simple?

As a side note, I was really surprised to see the fox literally hand over the instruction booklet since I thought that was more of an ethereal non-diegetic object for us, "the player," and not an actual physical diegetic object for the fox, but I guess there isn't a separation like I thought? Do we as a player exist as a separate entity? Are we the fox? Does the fox understand the language even if we, the player, don't? Bit mind-bendy to think about. Ok, now I'm just yammering.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 28, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Help, this thread is unreadable. Literally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Yeah i don't think it's all that deep or thought-through, they just tacked it on as a cute little twist in their Zelda clone