Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best pokemon generation?
First generation (Red, Blue, Yellow)
Second generation (Silver, Gold, Crystal)
Third generation (Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald)
Fourth generation (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum)
Fifth generation (Black, White)
Other
View Results

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
and why is it pokemon silver (none of that remake stuff for me, thanks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

gonna say what ever pokemon game is best is whatever one you played when you were 12 op

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

The Voice of Labor posted:

gonna say what ever pokemon game is best is whatever one you played when you were 12 op

that's not true I have a special place for gen4 that I played when I was 18. Probably because all my friends would only battle with level 100 teams and I never had the willpower to get a team to 100.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I remember playing sapphire. it was right after my g/f left me and my dad was dying and I was too depressed to do anything more complicated than play pokemon

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

pokemon pinball because you dont have to collect stuff and its just a fun pinball game

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Shibawanko posted:

pokemon pinball because you dont have to collect stuff and its just a fun pinball game

you do have to capture pokemon, if my ailing 30 year old brain can remember correctly

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pokemon Puzzle League, but only in its original form Panel de Pon.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

As much as I have deeply fond memories of Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum that the recent remakes proved are mostly nostalgia for an era of my life, the answer is probably Heart Gold/Soul Silver.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Snap. Close thread

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The only games that hit me quite like the first gen were Black/White. Locking previous gen mons behind the postgame brought back a sense of exploration and "What am I going to run into next?!" that the others have never really quite achieved.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm torn between Pokemon Blue/Red for being such a hilariously buggy mess, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon for being a genuinely good series, or Pokemon Conquest for letting you kill all who stand before you and your unification of not-Japan as a warlord.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Second gen. I played through the Japanese ROM as a kid despite not knowing Japanese because I was too excited to wait for the English release.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Hot Stunt posted:

Second gen. I played through the Japanese ROM as a kid despite not knowing Japanese because I was too excited to wait for the English release.

wow ur old, but also are correct

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Voice of Labor posted:

Very untrue. I've been playing Pokemon since Gen 1 came out and Gen 5, a game that came out well after I was 12, is the best generation.

The thread can be closed now.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.

Hot Stunt posted:

This was exactly what I did. I remember beating the entire game using only Cyndaquil and his evolutions besides a few HM slaves.

Also the only time I have ever played through a game in Japanese.

Sadly, after beating Pokemon Silver that way my hype for the English release went way down and was never that hyped again for any Pokemon game.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

generation 5 is the high point of the series in most ways

e: im actually gonna amend that and say Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire probably tie with B2/W2 as best overall

Doctor Dogballs fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 17, 2022

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

i'm playing soul silver now and it's great if you have endless patience and really enjoy very ugly, boring, weak pokemon

i have 6 badges and the NPC trainers im battling still have their pokemon levels in the teens to early 20s with the sole exception of the gym leaders. it's idiotic

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's because it's tuned for the other eight gyms that only open up after you beat the main game

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

I get that, but maybe tune the main game to be good too, given that it's the main game.

green kingfisher
May 23, 2022
The gen 2 Kanto section was Earth shattering. Unmatched since in the franchise for me.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It was super disappointing that they never brought it back for the later games back in the day but it made sense years later when the story about Iwata compressing the game so much that he could fit in the whole Kanto region. It was never the original vision.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Detective No. 27 posted:

It was super disappointing that they never brought it back for the later games back in the day but it made sense years later when the story about Iwata compressing the game so much that he could fit in the whole Kanto region. It was never the original vision.

you are wrong

https://www.reddit.com/r/TruePokemon/comments/hwluk9/while_it_is_true_that_iwata_did_write_a_new/

tl;dr: they didn't need more space, they needed it to be faster compressing and decompressing

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The gen 5 games were the culmination of the Pokemon formula from a mechanics perspective and have, by far, the most interesting and engaging story. All the gens since then have been gimmick fests with a few high points but haven't come close to the solid presentation of the B/W games.

Gen 2 was amazing for its time but has aged horribly. Even the HG/SS remakes couldn't save the balancing/progression issues and bland, rehashed story which hinged completely on gen 1 nostalgia. Hell, I like Platinum over HG/SS.

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

The last pokemon game I was able to finish was HG/SS, so I'm going to say those were the best. I had been buying each new installment up to Sun/Moon but I would always just kind of peter out before getting all the badges.

I have a place in my heart for Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, but even nostalgia couldn't carry me all the way to the elite four in those games.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Play the drayano hack if you want to play HGSS but objectively it's probably either gen V or IV with D/P/PL being dragged down by the insanely cringe internet memes in it.
Edit: Gen2/remakes would literally be fine if they had fixed the level curve, added a johto pokemon to each gym leader, made you do the Kanto gyms in a logical order, gave out evolution stones in reasonable amounts and redistributed the pokemon so that you wouldn't have to wait to catch most Johto mons after you beat the elite four.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 1, 2022

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it's sun and moon. seeya

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
yeah gen 5 was really fun. my ex had a ds and i got to play a bunch of ds game at like 25, and i did genuinely enjoy experiencing the world of black/white. and it was fun finding a set of 6 pokemon i really loved from only new ones

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

I've only ever played red and blue, so those are the best ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

and why is it pokemon silver (none of that remake stuff for me, thanks)

close but it's crystal because that had the first girl main character and broke a million eggs