Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
So my friends and I are doing a Thing, and need to run background checks on ~half a dozen peeps. All the online "free background check!!!" sites appear super sketchy, and big name places like HireRight are beyond our budget.

Are there any decent guides to doing background checks yourself? Or, ideally, are there any non-scummy sites that do checks quickly and cheaply?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

It depends on what state you are in, some (FL, TX, GA for instance) have online background checks you can run with their respective statewide law enforcement agencies for a nominal ($5-25) fee but they aren't nationwide and some (GA in particular) only will report felony convictions. Depending on your need and use case that may be sufficient, it might not. There are also Fair Credit Reporting Act considerations (covers more than just credit) for pre-employment background checks that you will need to be aware of nationwide as well as in individual states (off the top of my head CA and NY have a lot of caveats) and honestly if you want it done right you are better off hiring an investigations firm with experience doing this type of work. There is no master database of all criminal or civil records despite what TV wants you to believe and there are 50 states and 3000+ counties all with varying degrees of public access and hoops to jump through, not to mention the need to identify what jurisdictions are even relevant to search through. HireRight and some of the other big employment-related background check mills are fine but still have big gaps and awful discrepancies from time to time.
Source: ~15 years in corporate investigations & intelligence.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 15, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Gynovore posted:

So my friends and I are doing a Thing, and need to run background checks on ~half a dozen peeps. All the online "free background check!!!" sites appear super sketchy, and big name places like HireRight are beyond our budget.

Are there any decent guides to doing background checks yourself? Or, ideally, are there any non-scummy sites that do checks quickly and cheaply?

Thanks!

I use Checkr for my biz.

EDIT wow this is an old thread my bad. BFC aint getting much posting in new threads I guess.