Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 34 40.48%
No 50 59.52%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Wow I'm glad I asked, because yeah I've never heard the song and the conversation is very amusing here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea I don't know who that is.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Joni Mitchell? She was big in the 60s/70s when folk was making waves. Around the same time as James Taylor, Gordon Lightfoot, Carole King.

E: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joni_Mitchell

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

CainFortea posted:

Yea I don't know who that is.

That's the person who wrote and first performed the song 52 years ago. She's won ten Grammys, just got another one this year. She's "a little" famous.

Lol if you think Big Yellow Taxi is a Counting Crows song

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/dimi/status/1520551021810003969?s=21&t=Uc552BifgkGFF5XLgDJ6cw

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Boy oh boy I can't wait to discus my favorite song I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Kesper North posted:

That's the person who wrote and first performed the song 52 years ago. She's won ten Grammys, just got another one this year. She's "a little" famous.

Lol if you think Big Yellow Taxi is a Counting Crows song

Not everyone listens to folk music. The only time i've heard that song was counting crows.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Joni had some bangers, but I wouldn't hold it against anybody that's never heard of her. Outside of Sirius XM fogey stations, I don't know where you would hear her songs. Definitely worth checking out though.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1520581021967781890?s=21&t=RRD7DbQR1EpmiReMjvFstQ

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

A.o.D. posted:

Boy oh boy I can't wait to discus my favorite song I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston.

I saw her in '99 in Chicago. Amazing show. Absolutely earned her Diva status. Shame about the drugs, but great art, great struggle, etc.

Still, those pipes, goddamn.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Woodchip posted:

Time to call the authorities

https://youtu.be/78Y-1plYJuQ

Holy mother loving god this is a subconscious bomb

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

CainFortea posted:

Not everyone listens to folk music. The only time i've heard that song was counting crows.

I can't stand folk music, I just know this crap from having lived in America for 40 years, I hate it

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I didn't care much about folk until the last 5-10 years or so, and I wound up there from listening to "alt-country" for over a decade prior. Drive-by Truckers are a gateway band.

I get bored with power chords and drum solos very easily. If I can hear something else in a song, an instrument that stands out from standard radio fare, I'll probably enjoy it more. Banjos are nice but a brass section is better, or the occasional woodwind, maybe a mandolin. I was listening to something the other day that had a flute solo (not folk, it was Anderson East's Drugs).

I was a band kid though, and loved when a show came backed with an orchestra. There's so much more detail and depth to the sound. Honestly, I encourage y'all to go see your local orchestra, preferably an outdoor show for now, somewhere you can just roll up in jeans and a t-shirt, and take it in. Close your eyes and just take it in.

Maybe take some shrooms or weed edibles if you're really anticipating boredom.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I didn't care much about folk until the last 5-10 years or so, and I wound up there from listening to "alt-country" for over a decade prior. Drive-by Truckers are a gateway band.

I get bored with power chords and drum solos very easily. If I can hear something else in a song, an instrument that stands out from standard radio fare, I'll probably enjoy it more. Banjos are nice but a brass section is better, or the occasional woodwind, maybe a mandolin. I was listening to something the other day that had a flute solo (not folk, it was Anderson East's Drugs).

I was a band kid though, and loved when a show came backed with an orchestra. There's so much more detail and depth to the sound. Honestly, I encourage y'all to go see your local orchestra, preferably an outdoor show for now, somewhere you can just roll up in jeans and a t-shirt, and take it in. Close your eyes and just take it in.

Maybe take some shrooms or weed edibles if you're really anticipating boredom.

Banda is where its at.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I already like mexican music for the accordions, I need to check Banda out, it seems.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Southern Rock Opera and The Dirty South belong in the Library of Congress and I’ll fight anyone who says otherwise. Such fantastic songwriting on both albums.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
May I direct you find folks to the dad chat thread or idk a new GIP music thread that y’all can create?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FrozenVent posted:

May I direct you find folks to the dad chat thread or idk a new GIP music thread that y’all can create?

Also... new month, new thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4000856