Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They hired him too late for sure. I’m so used to the political cold open I don’t really care that it’s often crap, putting a good sketch there would feel a waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
The cold open has been the worst part of the show for 6 years running.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
It kinda pisses me off they keep shoehorning a Trump impression in every week. He’s not the president anymore, can you just let me not think about him for as long as possible?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

TheBizzness posted:

It kinda pisses me off they keep shoehorning a Trump impression in every week. He’s not the president anymore, can you just let me not think about him for as long as possible?

Free publicity might make him president again and then what Michelle Wolf said...

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

TheBizzness posted:

This is basically why I haven't watched any late night talk show since Letterman retired. The opening bits are always political and always feature trump.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I feel like the Daily Show’s popularity rattled them so they stuck to doing politics bits and now they can’t stop.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I usually laugh the most at WU, but that’s only because it actually has jokes and punchlines. I never laugh at the characters though, especially Bowen and Aidy’s trendsetter characters. They are probably my least favorite now that RBG is dead. Although boat guy and yoda also really really stink.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

a new study bible! posted:

I usually laugh the most at WU, but that’s only because it actually has jokes and punchlines. I never laugh at the characters though, especially Bowen and Aidy’s trendsetter characters. They are probably my least favorite now that RBG is dead. Although boat guy and yoda also really really stink.

I feel like Stefan was a lot of cheap jokes and laughs but he was so funny

and Jebidah Atkinson was great

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Boat guy was good the first time or two but the joke hasn’t definitely worn thin.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Thought this was an interesting perspective on a classic SNL sketch. Bob Odenkirk loving hates the Chris Farley Chippendale sketch. And he makes a valid point.

https://twitter.com/faceyouhate/status/1518241516552085504

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 25, 2022

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Weekend Update is so good that it's been extended for more time and briefly had its own spin off.

Holiday Joke Swap is some of the most routinely hilarious bits the show has pulled off over the last decade.

Don't you dare attack my boys Che and Jost.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

I mean, I think most people think Weekend Update is the best part. Not saying that popularity equals quality, but you shouldn’t really be surprised that people think that. “I only watch until Weekend Update is done” has been a cliché for a long loving time.

can't say you're wrong but it's just not something I've noticed, maybe just a thing that makes so little sense to me it's hard to keep the bizarro logic running for it.

the guest characters hey bring on rarely are good, usually feels like something from their audition tape they hadn't found a way to work into a sketch or repeating bad character. i admit i do like the bit where Che and generic guy try to embarrass one another. the format itself is fine, just che and jost need to grow some teeth, tired of their baby-gum bullshit bites that might've been edgy in 1997 but can't chew any contemporary topic enough to leave a mark

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think Weekend Update just needs some new blood. Jost and Che have been doing WU longer than anyone else in SNL history.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DaveWoo posted:

I think Weekend Update just needs some new blood. Jost and Che have been doing WU longer than anyone else in SNL history.

I'm happy for them to keep doing it, but I also want Sarah to take a seat based on her performances so far. So, torn.

I also like the joke swap and the general chemistry between Jost and Che, and I do like the whole thing that WU anchors are now longer pretty much not in sketches at all (which naturally invalidates my desire for Sarah to take a seat).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i still like sarah but i think she'll get pretty bored if they keep only letting her do "anybody" parts but snl is only allowed to get to a 2 or 3 of the weirdness scale, up to 5 for pre-credits sketch

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I dont know, I feel like the flower sketch and the meatball sketch both had her voice come through. She's been getting good screentime for a featured player.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I do like the whole thing that WU anchors are now longer pretty much not in sketches at all (which naturally invalidates my desire for Sarah to take a seat).

I don't think that's new? I've been watching since the late 90s and there are some gaps in there but Colin Quinn sure wasn't in any other sketches.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
No, but but there's been times when the anchor was still in sketches. Like Kevin Nealon, Tina Fey and Amy Poehler.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah I guess it moved back and forth then, I didn't realize that. I wasn't watching when Quinn was anchor so didn't pick up on that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I could be wrong, but I don't think Tina Fey was in that many sketches until she was Sarah Palin, which was after she had left the show. She was a writer first, and then became the WU anchor, only very occasionally appearing in sketches (...I think).

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I don’t know what Sarah Squirm is good at on SNL but I don’t think WU is one of them. Melissa V could be good. She should be in every sketch.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Melissa is an excellent impressionist and they barely use her.

Jost and Che are just OK...they could go incredibly hard on politics but they refuse to.

JAJ is a fantastic trump impression but waiting til he was out of office was stupid, and it's such a good impression it's almost not funny.

Sarah's talented but not really a good fit for SNL's style IMO....Kyle Mooney is wierd and awkward but he's gotten by just doing mainstream sketchs mostly.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
SNL's style needs more fresh blood, her not being a good fit for SNL's style is just the style needing to grow faster. Kyle always seemed like a good fit to me, just not as much room for his most famous non-snl squirmy character and i think they actually let him do that once or twice anyway. kyles crew felt more "snl friendly" from the getgo than lonely island did. Kyle's been around so long now I think of him as an SNL guy before remembering goodneighborstuff.

melissa v is great, my current fav i'd say. was watching something that had commercials recently and she's in a bunch of commercials for some department store, cant remember which lol. she wasn't really doing anything funny or anything that would really require her specifically besides being generally charming, just seemed like a bit of a waste but i only see commercials once a week a few months out of the year, i remember "funny" commercials becoming increasingly worse each time they were repeated.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Jaxyon posted:

Jost and Che are just OK...they could go incredibly hard on politics but they refuse to.

I think the market is pretty saturated with Last Week Tonight/Colbert/Seth Meyers-type "oops, writers got so mad they forgot to include jokes" political humor/analysis. Their more smarmy, detached approach is honestly a breath of fresh air.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

General Dog posted:

I think the market is pretty saturated with Last Week Tonight/Colbert/Seth Meyers-type "oops, writers got so mad they forgot to include jokes" political humor/analysis. Their more smarmy, detached approach is honestly a breath of fresh air.

SNL also does this though. They let Trump host and they also let Musk host when, weeks before, he advertised that he was only doing it as a way to commit securities crimes.

Also Dan Crenshaw.

Then the week after they are singing to portraits of Robert Muller. poo poo got insane there.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

a new study bible! posted:

Then the week after they are singing to portraits of Robert Muller. poo poo got insane there.

Remember when Leonard Cohen died and Hillary lost the election to Trump in the same week, so the cold open was Kate McKinnon covering the John Cale version of Cohen's Hallelujah?

:suicide:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

General Dog posted:

If that's the take you'd want them to be funnier than, say, John Oliver, but they're not. They're not as funny and also not as pointed. Worst of both worlds.

Also Amber Ruffin is better than all of these white men and Che at that style.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Tonight's The Vintage is Sofia Vergara with One Direction from April 7, 2012. This episode is significant for being Kate McKinnon's first show. That's right, it's been ten years of Kate McKinnon on SNL. How old are you feeling, right now, this very moment?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know which announcer used to do the fake ads for "Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer"? He had that real deep gravely voice. I can't find this info anywhere. He did voice-overs for the show for years.

Thanks for helping me solve this mystery. He was so funny and I wanna read about the guy.

pwn
May 27, 2004

New thread won't be up before the Vintage so I'm popping in to say it's Molly Shannon with Linkin Park from May 12 2007

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dear lord this episode is rough. Thank god for Macruber.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Unpopular opinion: the MacGruber sketches were terrible and the movie was surprisingly good. I wonder if this is true of any other spinoffs.

I do want to see Linkin Park though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

Wild take: The sketches and film and TV show are all good, for very different reasons.

Wilder take: new thread, so what