Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
They even mention there’s a Waagh in the sector in one mission, sprinting across a battlefield full of guardmen battling orks to prevent a hidden ritual would be neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah it kinda makes you wonder what the tail end of the dev cycle will be for this game. I could see them being done here but I can also see another expansion

I kinda want to try playing on legendary next and take it slower. I think if you wait on the second big research project on the origins of the bloom the game kinda waits in a holding pattern. the one that requires one of all the different seeds I mean. Craftworld opens up a lot of stuff so I think waiting on it is kinda silly. plus beating it unlocks advanced classes. I want to try abusing the commune system and rolling the dice on better traits for my dudes

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Kobal2 posted:

Yeah, they're all like that. And all of their CDs tick up on kills (including kills on the 1HP little shits that some plague units revive when they have nothing better to do). Other assassin factoids : they don't trigger overwatch or suppression at all ; and they don't count as Knights so you can't use For the Chapter or the teleport stratagem on them. They do still get 1AP on executions however.

So far, what I've seen/used :

Vindicare can precision target on a 3T cooldown, bleeds on crits, ignores half cover, has a "y'all can't shoot me !" ability on a 2T cooldown that doesn't cost AP and last but not least can simply erase any organic target on a 15T cooldown, no questions asked..

Eversor is a melee beast that uses HP instead of cooldowns, and heals on kills for a fraction of the victim's HP. They also explode on death but since all assassins only have the one life, it's not a very useful power. Other than that they can give themselves 1AP, teleport around inflicting large amounts of Bleed, immediately trigger a guy's bleed in melee and disable a guy in melee for one turn.

Callidus is kind of meh - they can transform into an enemy for 1AP which makes them untargettable (also won't trigger pods) but they don't reveal FoW in this mode. They also have a PBAE confusion and decent-ish melee damage.

Cullexus is the strangest : they work with WP but don't generate any, instead they'll suck up your guy's WP when they use some. They can close reinforcement gates in melee, and gain as much armor as they have WP at the end of a turn. They can also silence psykers, which, eh. Other than that they don't seem to do a lot of damage. Seems gimmicky as gently caress, maybe the later powers have more oomph.

As for gear, they regrettably use the same system as the Dreadnought and don't really generate more, so keeping multiple assassins on par with gear is a challenge (esp. since the dread should probably get priority)

The Culexus trick is that the warp charge for their ranged attack adds damage equal to their current willpower, which means they can, with the right mods and enough willpower gain, effectively annihilate even very beefy enemies for a net -1 WP (-1 AP -2 WP for the attack, +1 AP for spending WP, +1 WP for getting a kill), which also reduces the Warp Surge meter. They're very weird but can be shockingly powerful if you charge 'em up enough by spending WP a lot.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I got the game due to grey hunter, got the assassins and took an eversor,

They are just absolute blenders, I set them up to crit things, and you just pop in and slice and dice, abilities cost hp? doesn't matter you gain a good bit back on each kill, dive in and carve, He's great for setting up execute chains and generating a lot of ap.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
im like 10 hours into this and does the variety ever pick up? really tired of every encounter being the same on repeat forever. there was one defend a bunch of guards mission otherwise its just bloom spawn bloom spawn bloom spawn, with plague marines zombies and guards.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mr. Crow posted:

im like 10 hours into this and does the variety ever pick up? really tired of every encounter being the same on repeat forever. there was one defend a bunch of guards mission otherwise its just bloom spawn bloom spawn bloom spawn, with plague marines zombies and guards.

Yes, you’re still early and fighting the early game enemy set.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So does the game difficulty ramp up on Mercy much?

I started on regular, and rapidly found it got harder than I wanted to deal with. Don't have DLC and knew to disable enemy spawn for them.

So I restarted on Mercy, about 8-9 missions in, and I can basically sleepwalk through them, don't even come close to having a knight downed and frankly I'm a little bored.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Ya the pacing is wild in this. No idea about Mercy but having to save scum through the boss fights / morbus gates.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Deptfordx posted:

So does the game difficulty ramp up on Mercy much?

I started on regular, and rapidly found it got harder than I wanted to deal with. Don't have DLC and knew to disable enemy spawn for them.

So I restarted on Mercy, about 8-9 missions in, and I can basically sleepwalk through them, don't even come close to having a knight downed and frankly I'm a little bored.

It does ramp up as you get farther in,

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

God I'm playing on normal and getting my arse kicked

For reference I completed XCOM on classic/ironman but this game seems so much harder

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I think the Dev's made the classic mistake of "We've played this game for a 1000 hours, and are intimately familiar with the systems" when setting their difficulty levels.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
this is all kinda interesting to me as I've never could finish anything above classic / ironman in x-com. you really are expected to use the action point refresh to breach pods and it's easy to get overwhelmed in the new missions

are people trying to level multiple teams at the same time? I stuck with the original 4 until after the Craftworld mission

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

If your first campaign is a failure, that’s okay. The game is not blisteringly difficult or anything, but even in XCOM 2 an abortive first run isn’t unusual for first timers.

It is very possible to fail to learn and adapt fast enough and consequently not grow your strength fast enough.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ok, so I've restarted again on standard, 150+ days in and now it's all going swimmingly so far.

I think those who say you really need a handle on the systems are right.

I wouldn't say you need a whole failed campaign, but I'd definitely recommend playing a couple of hours on standard/mercy, getting a feel for the rhythms of the game, it's upgrade speeds and what's going to be useful in a real playthrough are absolutely necessary.

Then abandon that run and start your proper game with what you've learned.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

If your first campaign is a failure, that’s okay. The game is not blisteringly difficult or anything, but even in XCOM 2 an abortive first run isn’t unusual for first timers.

It is very possible to fail to learn and adapt fast enough and consequently not grow your strength fast enough.

The final 2-3 missions in particular are brutal if you don't calculate in advance which characters are going to go into each of them.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Alchenar posted:

The final 2-3 missions in particular are brutal if you don't calculate in advance which characters are going to go into each of them.

I didn't think it was that bad. it tells you the vanguard team will be fighting off waves of enemies and the main squad will be dueling the big bad

the bigger surprise is fighting the mini-bosses. they don't tell you the bosses have gimmick. so I've brought teams that weren't ideal for taking them down. still worked but could have been easier. plus most people don't play on ironman

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I didn't think it was that bad. it tells you the vanguard team will be fighting off waves of enemies and the main squad will be dueling the big bad

the bigger surprise is fighting the mini-bosses. they don't tell you the bosses have gimmick. so I've brought teams that weren't ideal for taking them down. still worked but could have been easier. plus most people don't play on ironman

Yes but *spoilers I guess* before that you have to fight one of the greater daemons with no time to heal, so possibly you need a *third* team if that fight is painful. And then you are told the vanguard team is fighting off waves of enemies but that isn't strictly true - the enemies are running though them and you just want to do as much damage as fast as possible. Ironically I think the optimal strategy is to really hurt all the enemies in the outer area but let them through so they can be one-shot by the guys fighting the big bad for quick WP.

It's also annoying that and I think a massive misstep that your characters do not get to be the heroes of the story. You play the whole game assembling this team and then in the end one of your characters and their set of mechanics straight up disappears and you watch as this named hero shows up to fight the big bad for you. It's an incredibly strange decision to make when XCOM is right there demonstrating why the perfect ending to this sort of game involves the narrative acknowledging that over the course of the game your guys have proven how special and heroic they are.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 19, 2023

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Alchenar posted:

Yes but *spoilers I guess* before that you have to fight one of the greater daemons with no time to heal, so possibly you need a *third* team if that fight is painful. And then you are told the vanguard team is fighting off waves of enemies but that isn't strictly true - the enemies are running though them and you just want to do as much damage as fast as possible. Ironically I think the optimal strategy is to really hurt all the enemies in the outer area but let them through so they can be one-shot by the guys fighting the big bad for quick WP.

It's also annoying that and I think a massive misstep that your characters do not get to be the heroes of the story. You play the whole game assembling this team and then in the end one of your characters and their set of mechanics straight up disappears and you watch as this named hero shows up to fight the big bad for you. It's an incredibly strange decision to make when XCOM is right there demonstrating why the perfect ending to this sort of game involves the narrative acknowledging that over the course of the game your guys have proven how special and heroic they are.

oh I was able to just kill everything before they got into the portal. the aggro team was dunking on Mortarion. tbf this was my second run and way more optimized. I think I did let people through on my first run. as for the greater daemon I think it went smoothly both times but that was a year ago so maybe I'm misremembering

I do agree that Draigo coming in to save the day kinda ruins the x-com feel of it but from a 40K lore perspective it makes perfect sense. so I think it's a take it or leave it sort of thing

either way I really do enjoy this game and will probably add it to the rotation of yearly games. I kinda wish we had a better idea of the long tail to it tho. there's a lot of room for them to expand or take this same system and apply it to other factions like Death Watch. I love the art style and smoothness of the game overall

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

drat that Craft World mission is tough.

I did it first time, but literally every single Knight went down, and the Inquisitor had 2HP left when the timer ran down.

I might replay it to see if I can do better, but I'll probably just roll with the 'B' team why they're all recuperating.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Deptfordx posted:

drat that Craft World mission is tough.

I did it first time, but literally every single Knight went down, and the Inquisitor had 2HP left when the timer ran down.

I might replay it to see if I can do better, but I'll probably just roll with the 'B' team why they're all recuperating.

just keep rolling with it. losing knights feels bad until you realize you have multiple wounds and even if they go down permanently there's the tech for commune with the dead. where your fallen heroes can give free skill points to the rest of the squad. which is how you'll see screenshots of maxed out skill trees

if you want to slow the game down there's a research that should have opened up. there's no time pressure to actually unlock it but once you do unlock it there is a time pressure to finish the game

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

if you want to slow the game down there's a research that should have opened up. there's no time pressure to actually unlock it but once you do unlock it there is a time pressure to finish the game

Is that the research that unlocks the different strains? I always gently caress that up because I have weapons that are good but being able to unlock their upgrades makes them machines of death.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

limp_cheese posted:

Is that the research that unlocks the different strains? I always gently caress that up because I have weapons that are good but being able to unlock their upgrades makes them machines of death.

yeah it is, once you unlock it then you're on the path to fighting the Reapers. not really a big spoiler but just playing it safe

my next play through I'll probably chill around here, let some of my original team die and then start hiring bros for their traits. I hear this make legendary a bit easier since it stalls the endgame and let's you get ahead of the power curve

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I wouldn't mind a little time to grind up a my second team. To be clear, what's the name of the research I shouldn't complete until I'm ready?

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 21, 2023

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The craftworld mission is a hint of things to come and one of the pacing issues I have with the game, because it's the length of any regular mission you have done up to that point... and then you have to do an endurance boss fight with infinite waves of enemies coming at you from all directions. Oh and the boss has a mechanic that makes it basically impossible to burn him down.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Alchenar posted:

The craftworld mission is a hint of things to come and one of the pacing issues I have with the game, because it's the length of any regular mission you have done up to that point... and then you have to do an endurance boss fight with infinite waves of enemies coming at you from all directions. Oh and the boss has a mechanic that makes it basically impossible to burn him down.

The boss is absolutely trivial to burn down in one turn what on earth are you talking about?

Disruption shuts off all of his abilities and then he gets beaten to death instantly by an Interceptor. I have never seen him actually do anything in my games or those of friends.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
It is absolutely a “Did you bring a psilencer y/n” gate though. If you get lucky and find the Rank 1 psilencer which ignores armour that mission is *much* easier.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Disruptor Servoskulls are fantastic because they cost no AP to use.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

The boss is absolutely trivial to burn down in one turn what on earth are you talking about?

Disruption shuts off all of his abilities and then he gets beaten to death instantly by an Interceptor. I have never seen him actually do anything in my games or those of friends.

He can only use his ability so often as well, I burned him in one turn without all of that via having my forces spread out in anticipation of swarms from all sides and being just well positioned enough to handle his trickery.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh now I feel a bit silly.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Deptfordx posted:

I wouldn't mind a little time to grind up a my second team. To be clear, what's the name of the research I shouldn't complete until I'm ready?

I want to say Codex Toxicus. I think you can do something similar with the Source of the Bloom tech

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Disruption shuts off all of his abilities and

........ well see, now I know that. gently caress. (I've beaten him the hard way a number of times now...)

MJ12 posted:

The Culexus trick is that the warp charge for their ranged attack adds damage equal to their current willpower, which means they can, with the right mods and enough willpower gain, effectively annihilate even very beefy enemies for a net -1 WP (-1 AP -2 WP for the attack, +1 AP for spending WP, +1 WP for getting a kill), which also reduces the Warp Surge meter. They're very weird but can be shockingly powerful if you charge 'em up enough by spending WP a lot.

Yeah, now that I've had the leisure to try them for real, I think they might be the most busted of them all. I've got one running on 15 WP and she's an absolute menace, erasing people left and right AND it doesn't matter if she's exposed because at the end of the day she's got more armour than the Dreadnought AND she can do all of that without line of sight anyway ?!!! I've refrained from upgrading her helmet from the tier I one with 15 range - since all of the damage comes from willpower anyway, they don't need further boosts there. Just gimme the "big fat delete anything anywhere" button to slam down.

And it's not like the "downside" is even one, because spending willpower to clean pods quickly is what you do in this game. She shines even more in Dreadnought missions, since the dread is another source of spent willpo that keeps gaining more.

I've also experimented with some more weird poo poo in this run. Some is bad (I still don't know what to do with Purifiers, or flamers for that matter) but the big highlights were :
- the Dread with the Lascannon tree, the tier 2 Lascannon (with 7 ammo) paired with a techmarine running the "give mechanicals +2 dmg on autos" buff (and ideally the support fire servitor to boot). The opening move of fights becomes : move dread in, hit something for 7-10 damage (or let rip a heavy flamer cone), then sit like a turret. Doesn't matter if your knights are taking 1 dmg potshots into heavy cover with dinky little bolters when they're followed by a chunky 6 dmg lazor and 2 dmg mini-melta. 48 passive damage to spread around is no joke.
- Psylancer Interceptor. I know, WHAAAT ?! right ? But pair that little fucker with a Purgator running the "delete all of your ammo for +1 dmg/2 ammo on someone else's next shot" buff. Give *that* dude a boltgun with 8 base ammo, both Purgator skills that increase ammo, and a +ammo passive item. Hit your Interceptor with that good poo poo, then let him teleport right behind enemy lines and let rip the cone fire. Chunks everywhere, very satisfying. If you run into hard targets, you can also do buff, reload, Interceptor takes a potshot from range for big damage, rebuff, Interceptor takes a second buffed shot.
- Psycannon on Justicars. I slept on those, but in Termie armor they can still carry melee weapons with them. And since Justicars are basically there to give everybody else APs anyway, having an off-hand weapon that deletes cover on a regular shot is handy. Would have been even better back when AoE kills gave 1 WP each of course, but very good still.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Alctel posted:

God I'm playing on normal and getting my arse kicked

For reference I completed XCOM on classic/ironman but this game seems so much harder

In the early game, Justicars are what you want - your ranged damage is bad, your heavy weapons guys don't have all of the grenades to delete cover with etc... so you're better served running into melee. But since your melee DPS doesn't have the +AP on crits, +AP on teleport skills yet they're not super efficient. Once you get there your Interceptor(s) will take care of business, especially if you luck into the "+50% focus" passive item. Before that happens though, you want your team to run 2 Justicars who are only there to feed everyone else actions, and you want to run Daemon Hammers because they do +2 damage on a psystrike instead of +1. Get in their face and don't stop swinging until only paste remains.

Another important trick to figure out is that when you're in melee with a ranged unit, their turn will consist only of swinging at your guy, moving away and then maybe healing or laying down some crud/overwatch but never actually firing. Since plague marines only do 2 dmg with their knives, parking a Termie next to one is very good early game crowd control. Cultists don't even disrupt you on their melee strikes, so you get a free hit on them as they run away !

Yet another thing of note is how turns/buff durations work. Say you start your turn out of combat. Your apo buffs your Interceptor for 3 turns. Now you run into a pod all all your APs are refunded - but it's still the same turn. You kill them all, and your APs are refunded AGAIN - but it's still turn 1. Find another pod, and it's still gonna be turn 1. Also helps with mitigating Warp Surges.
(Be warned however that the expansions added missions types that do not refund APs on combat start/end - the Tentarus hives, Servitor defense, Cruiser strikes all run on "normal turn-based squad tactics" logic)

Basically, this game is about being super aggressive rather than all patiently tactical and poo poo à la XCOM.

(EDIT : also, if a knight dies, he dies. They can all die a bunch of times. It's fine. Just get the medicae upgrade that makes them even better when they die first.)

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 26, 2023

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Just finished this (on normal). Really enjoyed it. Especially that you can work out ways to chain powers together to break the game over your knee.

Going to leave it a bit, but probably going to pick up the DLC at Xmas and have another run with everthing enabled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah it's a super fun game but has a learning curve that differs from other x-com likes. mostly with how pod interactions work