Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
He’s done a lot more sketches since he and Mulaney became friends, but before that he mostly came on update to act sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

carticket posted:

I'm not sure I'd classify Pete as "on the show" for most of his tenure. He seemed absent more often than not.

He’s also the most mainstream “famous” cast member in god knows how long though

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJH7B5Ibih0

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESWEP7egwdg

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
watching from season 1 and I just could not get through season 6.

i did watch the highlights after a certain point though

-don pardo saying charles rocket with utter contempt at the start of update in ep 2, after being corrected by him in ep 1
-charlie charles rocket saying gently caress during the closing segment
-bill murray mocking the cast during the cold open to their faces, then apologized to his OG castmates during the closing
-the producer being fired and replaced for a single last episode where chevy hosts, does update, and al franken comes on to explain why the show sucked all season, then pleads for it to be canceled.
-prince does one song... and is better then 99% of the musical acts the entire season.

i thought the hyperbole about that being the low point of this show was all talk but nope, hot garbage

e: context- lorne leaves after the first five seasons, they put a producer under him in charge instead of franken (thanks to "a limo for lame-o") who has no writing experience, everyone leaves except for brian doyle murray. the show tanks, the producer gets fired and she gets replaced for the last episode of the season. lorne eventually comes back in season 11.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 10, 2022

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/gecafe/status/1558155523521904640

pwn
May 27, 2004

A little Summertime Super Slam bonus for the 4 people following this thread. Last night I ripped an old S18 rerun I taped in 1993, Christopher Walken with Arrested Development. You can find it in this here Drive for a few days at least. Please enjoy this shaky-rear end 29-year-old tape as a curio if nothing else. Here's a bunch of words about the provenance

quote:

It's not a straight copy; I had recorded the February 27 rerun, then six months later I recorded the July 17 rerun over it. Most of the episode is the July airing. But one sketch is from the February airing. I'll put that explanation in the following paragraph for easy skipping if you don't care. Feel free to skip to the final graph.

So about the July recording, which was taping over the February recording. After the first band shot, you notice a Coke commercial, but if you look close you see a couple frames of a 20th Century Fox film commercial that the Coke ad fades over. For whatever unknown reason, the MCO at the station (WEAU 13) rolled their own ad over the network commercial. They only rolled 30 seconds of their 60 second break, leaving dead air and then a station ID slide up over silence (why not cut back to network?) They then DO cut back to network, in time for a minute of band music, rather than running their ads in their designated time. So you get to hear that. Neat! I was overjoyed at this; At this time, I, a 10/11-year-old boy in his first season of SNL, was just starting to discover GE and the band. The first half of the season I hadn't, but by January something clicked (snapped?) and I had become obsessed, watching the brief band shots over and over and over. It got to where I didn't even wait for the show to finish before wanting to rewatch the shots. I was only home for the first half hour or so, so thankfully this bullshit doesn't extend past Update.

But this minute of music was too good to not rewatch, so the sudden jump cut in the sketch was where I had stopped taping and rewound the bumper shot a couple times. I then stop taping again after the sketch to rewind the band shot after the sketch. Then after the Continental, I stopped the taping because I knew where in the old February recording I was, and fast forwarded past the Trivial Psychic sketch, and resumed recording after that. I also edited out Arrested Development's excellent song "Tennessee," because I was a big dumb. After that I had to leave so the rest of it is fine, but that's why the first half is the way it is. You'll also notice the first band shot (and a bit of that extended bumper) the tape is worn out. A cruel irony of the format, the bits you love most degrade first...

PS I left in the Partridge Family bit at the front of the recording for posterity. It was recorded from a Nickelodeon marathon IIRC.

pwn fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 15, 2022

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

-charlie charles rocket saying gently caress during the closing segment

e: context- lorne leaves after the first five seasons, they put a producer under him in charge instead of franken (thanks to "a limo for lame-o") who has no writing experience, everyone leaves except for brian doyle murray. the show tanks, the producer gets fired and she gets replaced for the last episode of the season. lorne eventually comes back in season 11.

Didn't that get Rocket fired?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/variety/status/1565404048400027648

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I guess thats just our one visit from the Laughingtosh 3000 then.

Variety posted:

Once relegated to airing after the late local news in a time slot network executives didn’t consider paramount, “SNL” now runs live across the U.S. all at once, meaning that it airs in primetime in certain parts of the country.
I mostly only watch the clips on YouTube or :filez: so I honestly did not know that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Not gonna say anything original here, but that sucks about Melissa Villasenor, but it's not surprising. They have no idea what to do with her. The other two? Meh. I'm not gonna miss "Guy who bought a boat", or whatever the gently caress that lounge act Athari did was. Though at least Athari brought a new energy to the show.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
at least they're finally trimming down the cast. I think 15 members is probably the absolute limit and like 12-13 would be ideal

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I hope they move Dismukes to full Rep.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The Nastier Nate posted:

at least they're finally trimming down the cast. I think 15 members is probably the absolute limit and like 12-13 would be ideal

I kinda miss the intimate late 80s early 90s 8 to 10 players cast.

edit: christ there was 16 main cast this year and another 5 featured.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah they wasted Melissa. Looking forward to whatever she does next.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I never thought about how the changing of the guard probably would come with some cheapass network retooling that would probably be a long slow unpleasant depth. Still, losing SNL is like losing an entire original American artform, nothing else like a Variety show still exists out there and with how pathetically short-term profit and engagement driven media companies have become, it'd be impossible to establish a new one. It'd also just personally feel weird to lose something I could count on being there my entire life so far. SNL at it's worse is still funny enough to be worth the time to me, and it'd feel weird to have something I've always looked forward to just cease. But just given how the media industry is, I guess it really would be pretty difficult to hand the reins over and keep it alive long after.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I’m tribute to passing of the queen, one of the best snl sketches

https://youtu.be/EEmIIl96zk0

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Khanstant posted:

I never thought about how the changing of the guard probably would come with some cheapass network retooling that would probably be a long slow unpleasant depth. Still, losing SNL is like losing an entire original American artform, nothing else like a Variety show still exists out there and with how pathetically short-term profit and engagement driven media companies have become, it'd be impossible to establish a new one. It'd also just personally feel weird to lose something I could count on being there my entire life so far. SNL at it's worse is still funny enough to be worth the time to me, and it'd feel weird to have something I've always looked forward to just cease. But just given how the media industry is, I guess it really would be pretty difficult to hand the reins over and keep it alive long after.

I mean, the story of SNL is change over the years to humor and taste. I hope they never get rid of it but I can see a new generation of hip execs just axing it for "cost."

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean, the story of SNL is change over the years to humor and taste. I hope they never get rid of it but I can see a new generation of hip execs just axing it for "cost."

cost? SNL has gotta be the cheapest thing in NBCs catalogue and it eats up 90 minutes

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea. SNL cast members reportedly making at most $25k per episode. The whole cast is getting paid less per episode than just 1 actor on a lot of primetime shows... Pete Davidson is getting $500k per episode for a Peacock show now...

On that note though, October 1st is the premier date for the new season.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 12, 2022

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The Nastier Nate posted:

cost? SNL has gotta be the cheapest thing in NBCs catalogue and it eats up 90 minutes

Hey, i know that and you know that but that doesn't change the fact that every decade or so some higher up says this cost too much let's axe it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The Nastier Nate posted:

WB just decided to not even release a completed movie because they decided they could make more money with a tax write off, along with a bunch of other crazy other cancellations. Execs make crazy money saving decisions sometimes that don't make sense to us normos.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1570487979399057408?s=20&t=5tDm0YcmnamB7Xx9Q1Ea5g

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
:laffo: @ everyone who said that the cast might get smaller

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Well, 7 people left so there is a net loss.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Bring back 7-member casts.

https://twitter.com/thatweekinsnl/status/1571568284746805249?s=21&t=WbX8UHbuuZVU0PReL7Rywg

Gonna be a good stream tonight. One of my bootleg master copies of Christopher Lee and the usual boatload of Sunday night British antiquities, including the stream debut of Monty Python! You'd think you were a limey git

pwn
May 27, 2004

Down to 17, let's keep culling until we get to a manageable 14

https://twitter.com/thesnlnetwork/status/1572037676454510592?s=21&t=MZ3gxtd-hyAe_44yGkcfcQ

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
oh no thank you, that loving sucks

I guess good luck for whatever you do next Chris but I would be much more likely to see it if it was on this show

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

WB just decided to not even release a completed movie because they decided they could make more money with a tax write off, along with a bunch of other crazy other cancellations. Execs make crazy money saving decisions sometimes that don't make sense to us normos.

turns out they're sitting on four decades of wigs in storage that have a paper value of 3.2 billion dollars. it's a write-off that'll save NBC and let fallon expand into saturdays

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Aww no, Chris Redd is a MVP who often saves a skit. :smith:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

i say swears online posted:

turns out they're sitting on four decades of wigs in storage that have a paper value of 3.2 billion dollars. it's a write-off that'll save NBC and let fallon expand into saturdays

Turns out they have a value of 3.2 billion doll hairs.

What? They're not worth nothing!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1572314747009130498

pwn
May 27, 2004

Hey hey hey, the season 48 premiere is next week, but the 9th season of Vintage starts tonight at 10/9c! Let's go Brendan Fraser with Busta Rhymes featuring the motherfuckin Roots crew from February 13 1999. Highlights include a harrowing Charlie Brown drama, Two Fat Ladies, Fun with Real Audio, and we find out where Tom Davis has been for all these years. Be there!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

I appreciate the UK solidarity but what the gently caress is Warwick Davis going to do as the musical act?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Chris Redd’s shocked voice: “drat! That’s crazy!”

https://amp.tmz.com/2022/09/27/kenan-thompson-ex-wife-date-snl-alum-chris-redd-christina-evangeline/

pwn
May 27, 2004

Tonight's Vintage is Michael Keaton with Carly Rae Jepson from April 4 2015. Classic show from season 40. As for the new season... still writing it. Will be up before showtime. Watch this space!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

Jesus new thread up just in time! Wow. Go! Go! Goooooo