Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I recently had a rather unpleasant experience in the park, and I have not been able to find an answer online: what is the correct etiquette for getting someone else’s dog to leave you alone?

My children and I were having a picnic in a large country park. It’s full of cyclists, walkers, picnickers and people walking their dogs, all peacefully coexisting. Most people’s dogs come over to the picnic, and we shoo them away as their owners are shouting for them to come back, or people put their dogs on leads when they see people with picnics.

However, one guy got really annoyed when my daughter and I said “shoo!” to his dog and flapped our hands in its general direction (not really anywhere near it, maybe 50cm to a metre away). It was literally getting its nose into our lunch and trying to eat our quiche. He loudly told me not to shoo his dog, while telling his dog it was alright, and that “some people just don’t like animals”.

It was quite an uncomfortable situation, as he was a) a lot larger than me and b) scary for my kids. I did my best not to escalate things, but after he told me that some people just don’t like animals, I got a bit annoyed and said that animals are fine, he should just control his dog, when I probably should have left it alone.

What should I have done in that situation? I didn’t touch his dog to move it, what did he expect me to do? I thought we were quite polite, and didn’t think “shoo” was a problem… Any dog owners here have any insight into the correct way to politely (for its owner) get a dog to go away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I'm pretty sure there was an old mod that recommended the use of a brick, but ymmv :shrug:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Nooner posted:

I'm pretty sure there was an old mod that recommended the use of a brick, but ymmv :shrug:

You're thinking of Derpies

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug

Nooner posted:

Wait, was this person a mod?

facetoucher cat posted:

Yeah I'm good. It happened so fast. Was in my yard playing with plants and these 2 dogs got into my yard. Tried to scare them off by screaming and tossing sticks. One charged me but I dodged it an kicked it what seemed like 20 feet and it ran out of the yard and it's buddy looked like it was going to leave too but I don't trust anything so I grabbed a broken brick and the second one came at me so I hit it in the head with everything I had. That stopped it

Animal control was like, "why didn't you shoot em"

Yes, officer, I'm strapped to the teeth in my own back yard while feeding birds. Totally normal brain there

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Wait, I forgot their catchphrase:

facetoucher cat posted:

Play time is over

go for a stroll fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 26, 2022

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Look up leash laws for your area and you can always call your local animal control office if it's really a problem.