Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

well why not posted:

she's so extra. no other na'vi are hissing and sneering like she does

she has to deal with Spider though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Neytiri was living a charmed life before her dad commanded she babysit some gormless git from outer space, and now her heart is full of hate.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SuperTeeJay posted:

Neytiri was living a charmed life before her dad commanded she babysit some gormless git from outer space, and now her heart is full of hate.

Mix it around a bit and this could be a MST3K theme.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

SuperTeeJay posted:

Her sister was murdered by the RDA so I'm not sure how charmed you can claim her life was

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I'm case anyone was wondering Avatar Collectors Edition will have all 3 cuts of Avatar on the same disc.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I'm case anyone was wondering Avatar Collectors Edition will have all 3 cuts of Avatar on the same disc.

I put in an order on amazon for whenever they get stocked again. I'm not sure about replacing the first way of water release though. It's still the same cut right? Just added bonus stuff?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Kingtheninja posted:

I put in an order on amazon for whenever they get stocked again. I'm not sure about replacing the first way of water release though. It's still the same cut right? Just added bonus stuff?

Correct. I already have a steel book of Way of Water so I will hold off on double dipping that movie until a more compelling release.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I converted my 3D bluray rip of this to 4K HFR 60fps for viewing in VR(currently the only consumer device capable of displaying HFR 3D content).

I used a fairly advanced piece of software called TopazAI to convert it, it took several days just to do the first half of the movie.

It is....remarkable.

It feels crazy to say this but....my constant 60fps conversion is better than Cameron's variable choice for theaters. I get his choice, but its so so much better at a constant HFR.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
You are going to convince Cameron that we all need vr for avatar 3.

But watching movies like that is the best reason I’ve heard to get a vr yet.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

checkplease posted:

You are going to convince Cameron that we all need vr for avatar 3.

But watching movies like that is the best reason I’ve heard to get a vr yet.

I am a massive VR nerd and have been an early adopter since 2016 and VR 3D movies with my friends in my custom IMAX VR theater is by far what I use it for the most.

It is also kind of mind blowing that Avatar has never gotten any kind of tie-in VR experience given how many other IP have.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
My favorite part of the Aviator is that all the scenes in the late twenties and early thirties are in two-color Technicolor.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

AccountSupervisor posted:

I converted my 3D bluray rip of this to 4K HFR 60fps for viewing in VR(currently the only consumer device capable of displaying HFR 3D content).

I used a fairly advanced piece of software called TopazAI to convert it, it took several days just to do the first half of the movie.

It is....remarkable.

It feels crazy to say this but....my constant 60fps conversion is better than Cameron's variable choice for theaters. I get his choice, but its so so much better at a constant HFR.

Huh, this is a great idea. When watching the 3D version I missed having the HFR stuff, and I also have used Topaz a lot to clean up and restore all our old home movies, but I never thought of using the frame doubling to get that HFR effect back.

I might just have to give that a try.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

I am a massive VR nerd and have been an early adopter since 2016 and VR 3D movies with my friends in my custom IMAX VR theater is by far what I use it for the most.

It is also kind of mind blowing that Avatar has never gotten any kind of tie-in VR experience given how many other IP have.

ok, i need a vr banshee flight simulator like, right loving now.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Animal kingdom’s ride is as close as you’ll get and it owns.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

Huh, this is a great idea. When watching the 3D version I missed having the HFR stuff, and I also have used Topaz a lot to clean up and restore all our old home movies, but I never thought of using the frame doubling to get that HFR effect back.

I might just have to give that a try.

Its also perfect for animated movies. I did a few tests of How to Train Your Dragon in 60fps 3D and it was incredible. Topaz is loving magic. It had barely any issue resolving all the complex detail of the water effects and environment in Way of Water.

I really really wish Cameron would be more open to VR as a medium for 3D content. Its really the only way you can realistically land it in the home given how many Quest 2s and 3s are out there. It is also just a fundamentally better way to watch 3D content than a screen with glasses too. I have a few friends who couldnt have cared less about 3D that now love it because of how great is in VR.

Stringent posted:

ok, i need a vr banshee flight simulator like, right loving now.

It sort of exists already if youre a huge dork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEU2kFMBV2k

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 5, 2024

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Its also perfect for animated movies. I did a few tests of How to Train Your Dragon in 60fps 3D and it was incredible. Topaz is loving magic. It had barely any issue resolving all the complex detail of the water effects and environment in Way of Water.

I really really wish Cameron would be more open to VR as a medium for 3D content. Its really the only way you can realistically land it in the home given how many Quest 2s and 3s are out there. It is also just a fundamentally better way to watch 3D content than a screen with glasses too. I have a few friends who couldnt have cared less about 3D that now love it because of how great is in VR.

It sort of exists already if youre a huge dork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEU2kFMBV2k

Heck Cameron, partner with Big Screen or something, and release it on there with a few custom Pandora theaters to watch it in. I'd love to watch any of the upcoming 58 Avatar films with some friends in the pandora forests, or a lagoon, up on a giant screen.

Also boy you weren't joking about the rendering times for the full film, bringing it up to 60fps at only 1080p is going to take nearly 3 days. I hadn't considered using the software for any real films, so as a test first, I committed a criminal offense and cleared away all the grain on a clip from Taxi Driver and upped it to 120fps lol.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
BTW Cameron very clearly gives no fucks about film grain and I love how much it breaks people's brains

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

BTW Cameron very clearly gives no fucks about film grain and I love how much it breaks people's brains

It stinks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

qed