Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Gatto Grigio posted:

10b) You spend decades haunting a piece of architecture, lurking in the
shadows throughout the night. What draws you here? Check a Skill.
Create a Skill tied to this place.

Seeking the wisdom of the old Derwyyds, she seeks out Stonehenge, to commune with the Cosmos. Along the way she befriends other pilgrims, using God's Lost Sheep as her Skill.

Once she reaches the site, she communes with nature atop the central plinth, learning the power of Prophecy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Fuzz posted:

Seeking the wisdom of the old Derwyyds, she seeks out Stonehenge, to commune with the Cosmos. Along the way she befriends other pilgrims, using God's Lost Sheep as her Skill.

Once she reaches the site, she communes with nature atop the central plinth, learning the power of Prophecy.

This is good, but I'd like to see it be about Newgrange to make it more Irish. I have no idea what it was like in the 12th century, though, or if it counts as architecture.

e: just confirming I really like this idea since I think my post makes it sound like I'm criticising it.

Coward fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 1, 2022

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Coward posted:

This is good, but I'd like to see it be about Newgrange to make it more Irish. I have no idea what it was like in the 12th century, though, or if it counts as architecture.

e: just confirming I really like this idea since I think my post makes it sound like I'm criticising it.

I would say it does.

Thanks for mentioning Newgrange! I’m reading up on it and it sounds fascinating.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Having read the old run of this game, I'm looking forward to participating to this one! For now, Newgrange has my vote.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

paradoxGentleman posted:

Having read the old run of this game, I'm looking forward to participating to this one! For now, Newgrange has my vote.

Newgrange it is!

Apologies for the wait; spent the last 2 weeks or so helping my wife recover from gallbladder surgery. Thank you for your patience!

character sheet posted:

Eliza Swift (b. 1022 CE - ?)

Memories

I. 1) I am Eliza Swift, a tailor and dressmaker from Dublin; wherever I travel as a journeyman, I hear my customers cry out to welcome "Tailor Swift!"

II. 1) On the advice of Sibéal Mac Duibh, I hide in her father's workshop after running away from my owner; after finding me, he wants to return me to my owner, but reconsiders when I quote Leviticus 19:33 (Or was it 19.34?)

III. 1) I meet a old man tending a garden and tease him about his tattered cloak, whereupon he challenges me to sew a better one; in my haste to finish his cloak, I forget my thimble and prick my finger - it is the first time I taste blood.

IV. 1) On his bed, King "Silkbeard", the old man whom I made that cloak for years ago, gifts me is slain by me; I take from his belongings a piece of the True Cross, given to him by none other than the Pope himself during his pilgrimage to Rome. 2)A century later, I make my own pilgrimage to Newgrange, seeking the wisdom of the old Derwyyds, to commune with the cosmos and find answers regarding my condition.(10b)

V. 1) In Ardbraccan, I meet a stranger who reveals himself to be one of the vengeful old gods, who exposes the crimes of Silkbeard and turns me into one of the cold, merciless undead so that I can turn my rage upon the old man; untethered, I slay Silkbeard and all of his household, and burn his longhouse to the ground. 2) My body scatters into frozen mist in an unconscious attempt to escape the horror of what I've done; though I gain control of the power eventually, I remain in the form of unthinking mist over the Isles for a full century. (4c)

Mortals

Micheál Ó Cuinn: A wealthy wool trader who purchased me from destitute farmers in the Irish hinterlands when I was but a baby. (d. 1052. Cause of death: gangrene)

Sigtrygg II "Silkbeard" Olafsson: The former Viking king of Dublin, now living in exile just outside the city. (d. 1042. Cause of death: me)

Sibéal Mac Duibh: Daughter of Barhan, a local woodworker of minor renown; a superstitious, God-fearing close friend and fellow journeyman. (d. 1046. Cause of death: childbirth)

Immortals

Lugh: A warrior of the Tuatha De Danann, the Immortal "fair folk" that ruled Ireland before the rise of mankind; took my heart (literally) and made me like unto the draugr - the frozen, walking corpses that all Vikings fear.

Skills
Eye for Opportunity
God's Lost Sheep*
Tailoring
Prophecy

Resources
Pewter Thimble
Jewelry Box
Piece of the True Cross

Marks
The air around me is always chilly, enough for people to complain it's cold. Whenever I experience strong emotions, there's a snap freeze that makes ice crystals grow on everything.

I can transform my body into freezing mist, allowing me to squeeze through tight spaces and freeze water with my touch.

Next Prompt is... Prompt roll #3 (starting at 10): 1d10-1d6 5

... bringing us to Prompt #15! Choose between....

15a) While traveling you come into conflict with
another immortal. Gain a Mark. Who are they?
What trick did you play upon them? Create a new
immortal Character.

or

15b) You confess your story to a mortal who writes it down. They do not
believe you, but it makes for good fiction. Learn a Skill about tale
telling. Create a mortal Character who is a writer.

or

15c) You spend years training and experimenting with your body to gain as much
control over it as possible. Gain a weakness (as a Mark), a Skill, a Resource,
and a helpful Mark, all related to maximizing the potential of your vampiric form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

15c)
The world has changed dramatically in the century that Eliza spent in the form of frozen mist. What's worse, the visions of the future that whatever nameless entity that inhabits Newgrange has granted her show her that it will change even more over the centuries, and that she will be there to see it. All of this has not done wonders for the poor woman's sense of stability and self-determination.

So she decides to do something about it.

She prepares herself for the coming changes by refining this gift, this curse, the only thing she knows for certain that will stick with her. Her village is gone, all her humans she might have called friends are gone, even her heart is gone; but her body, her cold and fearsome and terrifying body, that one returned to her even when she thought it was gone forever. That one, she can depend upon.

She spends her time in the dark forests of England, away from civilization, feeding on travelers and lumberjacks and even animals when she has to. And when she isn't feeding on them, she observes them, spying on them from the safety of the branches or the thicker undergrowth. She doesn't dare approach them (for multiple reasons; the loss of her human connections is still fresh in her mind) but she does miss human contact, and this is as close as she can get for now. She also sees travelers craft walking sticks from branches and dress wounds and build improvised shelters when a rainstorm surprises them, and she learns many of their tricks. (Skill: Woodwise)

She also experiments with her control over the cold. With animals, mostly, but occasionally with travelers too. It was with one such traveler, a young man with copper hair and a long wool mantle, that she made a discovery: he, who had left his friends with such cheer and jolliness, had all but kicked a smaller, meeker traveller off the road when they crossed paths. It could be that his mood had just soured because she was bothering him with gusts of cold wind... But she knew the truth, on some primal level in her mind. Her ice has dug its way in the young man's heart . Too bad that the constant exposure to the elements and to her own freezing-cold essence has caused her voice to become raspy and croaky, as winter had given her a cold. (Mark)

For all that she lived apart from society, her action still had consequences. She would occasionally be caught by the victims of her stal- ahem, observations; and rumors began to spread of a terrifying wild woman living in the woods; perhaps a Kindly Neighbor, perhaps a demon of some sort. A few people even reported feeling unwell after visiting the forest or the nearby countriside. People didn't pay them much mind beyond confirming that that neck in the woods was indeed haunted and brought bad luck besides.(Resource: a fearsome reputation?)