Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I saw this and thought of you Bulletsponge13

https://terminallance.com/2023/11/12/veterans-day-presentation/

Makes me really drat grateful to have been given the opportunity to read your memoirs.

Edit: I should mention that reading the accompanying text blurb underneath the comic itself is mandatory, otherwise this link is going to look a lot more awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

SerthVarnee posted:

I saw this and thought of you Bulletsponge13

https://terminallance.com/2023/11/12/veterans-day-presentation/

Makes me really drat grateful to have been given the opportunity to read your memoirs.

Edit: I should mention that reading the accompanying text blurb underneath the comic itself is mandatory, otherwise this link is going to look a lot more awkward.

I just got around to reading this, because I have a weird deep seated animosity towards Veterans Day (I find it to be a stupid bullshit holiday), and wanted to let that pass. I am glad you are enjoying what I've shared, and I appreciate the support and love. That also reminds me of one of the most embarrassing moments of my life- doing a very similar presentation to HS kids. That piece will get started tonight, because it's also pretty funny, and there isn't enough fun stuff in this thread. (Thanks, OP. 😝)

Short one today. I'd love to say I'm getting my poo poo together, but I'm not. I do however have the entirety of my notebook filled- most of it already posted, but more made up of orphaned paragraphs and half complete thoughts.

Offending Leuchtturm1917 notebook-

New Piece-
"Losing my Virginity to Glee"

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
drat.
I say that a lot to myself when I read your posts, but this particular drat has kept me thinking all evening and into part of the night.

My development was in a very different world than yours, and my "combat" needs a conex box of load bearing air quotes - but making the world simple and losing your virginity to glee resonates even more than your amazing prose poetry usually does.

'Losing my virginity to glee' also clicked through to part of one of my favorite poems

quote:

The nights you fight best are
on a night like this
as you chase a thousand dark rats from your brain,
as you rise up against the impossible,
as you become a brother to the tender sister of joy

and move on

regardless.
Which I still can't read without my voice cracking.

Not sure what I'm trying to say. Your writing touches deeply, even people with very different experiences. And it is as good as Bukowski at his best. Please keep sharing.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
That Hakuna Matata description had me cackling all morning.

Put that update in the book as your first story.
Place the small story from the start of that post on the cover of the book and you've got one hell of an eye catching book.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

SerthVarnee posted:

That Hakuna Matata description had me cackling all morning.

Put that update in the book as your first story.
Place the small story from the start of that post on the cover of the book and you've got one hell of an eye catching book.

That's some solid advice. Glad I was able to bring you some amusement. 😊

joat mon posted:

drat.
I say that a lot to myself when I read your posts, but this particular drat has kept me thinking all evening and into part of the night.

My development was in a very different world than yours, and my "combat" needs a conex box of load bearing air quotes - but making the world simple and losing your virginity to glee resonates even more than your amazing prose poetry usually does.

'Losing my virginity to glee' also clicked through to part of one of my favorite poems

Which I still can't read without my voice cracking.

Not sure what I'm trying to say. Your writing touches deeply, even people with very different experiences. And it is as good as Bukowski at his best. Please keep sharing.

Thank you for sharing- I sat on my response for a day or two before responding for a few reasons- one of which is when I post an episode, I start checking the thread too much, rereading what I posted, trying to find problems. The other reason is I never know how to process or feel/react when people say kind things, much less when they say I've had an emotional impact. Nothing negative, it's my own baggage. I also tend to want to care for and nurture others, so when you say it stuck with you, I am totally unsure of how to respond, but I want to say something.

I've never read Bukowski- mostly because everyone who recommended him to me in my youth was an insufferable test, which is totally unfair. So thank you for sharing that poem- I read it over a few times, and it hits an emotion deep down I can't quite identify or understand why exactly. But it also made me willing to give old boy a shot, because he definitely isn't like the other authors that friend group recommended. Any start points you can recommend?

It's totally awkward when you guys say nice comparisons to authors I've never read, because I feel fraudulent, like I somehow faked my way into people thinking I'm literate, nevermind being well read.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

bulletsponge13 posted:

Thank you for sharing- I sat on my response for a day or two before responding for a few reasons- one of which is when I post an episode, I start checking the thread too much, rereading what I posted, trying to find problems. The other reason is I never know how to process or feel/react when people say kind things, much less when they say I've had an emotional impact.

Both of those feelings are way too well known to me.
The constant checking for replies thing is something I do in the epilepsy thread, mostly because I have this weird hangup about laving people hanging in a thread I started.

The thing with getting caught flatfooted by a compliment took me years of immersion therapy to get used to. The thought alone, that people were saying it sincerely, completely stumped me. Funny how long it can take you to get rid of bad lessons taught at a young age eh?

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
How long does it take to gently jack up the corner of a house youre still living in in order to replace a hosed up part of the foundation?

If you care about the house at all, it takes some time.

Be kind to yourselves. :)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

bulletsponge13 posted:

New Piece-
"Losing my Virginity to Glee"

I'm glad this wasn't an entry about cranking one out to Lea Michele

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Happy new year!

Bulletsponge you have a PM waiting for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

SerthVarnee posted:

Happy new year!

Bulletsponge you have a PM waiting for you.

Replied. :-)