Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

teethgrinder posted:

Welp mine appears to have mysteriously died. Blank screen, just shows a bright white status light. Using the reset button under the crank just turns the light out as long as it's held down. When I let go of the button, the light briefly turns orange before white again. Google suggests it's a hard crash but it's surprisingly hard to find much about people having trouble with a white light.

I had just travelled with it and didn't leave it on an empty charge.

Contacted support and I'll see what they say.

I know hardware is difficult, but it seems like these things have an unusually high failure rate? I listened to the podcast about making it and got a weird vibe that no one seemed very confident in the manufacturing process, despite hiring consultants and a factory that specializes in this stuff.

It could also be that we hear about more of them failing given that the target demographic is someone who is probably very online and more likely to post about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
I have one from group two that hasn’t had any problems at all. I mostly use it as a dedicated surfing game device when I want to fidget with something.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

frogbs posted:

I know hardware is difficult, but it seems like these things have an unusually high failure rate? I listened to the podcast about making it and got a weird vibe that no one seemed very confident in the manufacturing process, despite hiring consultants and a factory that specializes in this stuff.

It could also be that we hear about more of them failing given that the target demographic is someone who is probably very online and more likely to post about it.

There's only, like, 50k of the things out there, and that'd barely be a pilot run for any mass-market consumer electronics device that would allow the company manufacturing them to hopefully iron out most of the kinks of the production process. From everything I've seen online, Panic has been very responsive to support tickets like yours.

For comparison, the controllers included with the Nintendo Switch, which has sold 130 million units (that is, about 2600 times as many as the Playdate) have a whopping 40% failure rate, and they had to lose multiple class-action lawsuits about it before they acknowledged and fixed the problem... but they still only bothered to repair existing units and did nothing to address the fundamentally fatal flaw in the design.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Nestharken posted:

There's only, like, 50k of the things out there, and that'd barely be a pilot run for any mass-market consumer electronics device that would allow the company manufacturing them to hopefully iron out most of the kinks of the production process. From everything I've seen online, Panic has been very responsive to support tickets like yours.

For comparison, the controllers included with the Nintendo Switch, which has sold 130 million units (that is, about 2600 times as many as the Playdate) have a whopping 40% failure rate, and they had to lose multiple class-action lawsuits about it before they acknowledged and fixed the problem... but they still only bothered to repair existing units and did nothing to address the fundamentally fatal flaw in the design.

All good points! Re-reading my post, I was probably a little too hard on them. Like your Nintendo example shows, hardware is incredibly difficult.

For what it’s worth I was in group 2, and aside from the battery draining and having to be reset now and then it’s been great.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Been almost a week with no word back on my dead Playdate. I hope I don't have to resort to Twitter shaming lol.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

After a few weeks I followed up, and got this a day later:

quote:

Hey teethgrinder,

Our sincerest apologies for the delayed response on this! It sounds like the best course of action from here would be to swap your Playdate out for a new one.

Important: We're in the process of making changes to how we handle shipping and returns. Unfortunately, this means there will be an unavoidable delay when it comes to shipping replacement Playdates in October. We're working as hard as we can, and while we hope it's sooner, we expect to resuming shipping replacement Playdates in the first week of November.

For now, hold on to your Playdate. Once we're ready, we'll be reaching out to you to verify your shipping address and provide you with a prepaid shipping label so you can send us your defective Playdate. There is nothing more you need to do at this point until you hear from us again in early November. Once we are ready, we'll email you with the next steps.

Sorry again for this unexpected delay. We will follow up as soon as we've got more to share.

Stay tuned!

Mike F, Panic Inc.

I'll live.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So Playdate's website crashed printing me a shipping label and wouldn't create another one. Support missed my email about it. I finally nudged them again yesterday and got an immediate response, with a replacement sent out before receiving my broken one.

So long! For some reason I still feel a bit attached to the dead one. Also goodbye to my Bloom save data.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So uh... the official cover is teal these days. Dock nowhere in sight.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Technically they never specified what "soon" was in relation to the heat death of the universe.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

So uh... the official cover is teal these days. Dock nowhere in sight.

There was a mix up on color but they’ve said the teal will be a limited run then they’re going back to purple

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

This is just ludicrous at this point, but my replacement Playdate seems to be just lost in the mail.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

...and back in business. 10 days to clear customs :rolleyes:

The only nuisance was having to manually compare my sideloaded games with itch.io updated versions. Really annoying to have stuff bought there when the catalogue came out later.

Noticed you can skip the biweekly season unlocking if you want, but meh. It's kind of fun still. Again.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Bought a lil cranky guy when I got the 'hey you can just buy one' email. Wish it wasn't quite so small. Also, found a repack of a bunch of arduboy games for PDX.

https://github.com/joyrider3774/playdate-arduboy/releases/tag/fw_2.0.3_recompile

Also, how do you skip weekly unlocks? I'm not huge on this surfing game.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
I’ve been making a game in Pulp the past few days, really coming along. Can’t wait to get my grubby mits on my own Play date in Oz.

I tried to order on launch but the shipping fiasco meant I’d have to wait a year or two given the Pandemic.

A week or two ago I pulled the trigger.

Pulp is very, very fun.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Awesome... I tried making a game in the earliest days but hit some roadblocks. Looks like there's at least one decent space shooter now anyway. I need another idea!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I9mO4pYBPI

There's a showcase in an hour ... I guess the main draw is something about Lucas Pope's Mars After Midnight. I think I saw a tweet recently specifically saying the dock would not be mentioned here.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

So I had to consult the Great Games Index to find this thread, but why the hell not try and revive it.

On my morning Web Surfing Experience with a coffee I stumbled upon this Playdate Update 5 video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I9mO4pYBPI

It also turns out you can just order these things now and there's no messing about with pre-orders.

It definitely looks like the experience wasn't the smoothest for goons back in 2022 going by this thread, but has anyone got one? Stuck with it? Actively use it?

Must admit I've been looking through the store this morning and there are a surprising amount of games that have caught my eye, particularly in quite an arcadey and shoot em up space.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
I, personally, can't wait for For Home.
Looks incredible.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
I got Under The Castle and it’s pretty good!
https://play.date/games/under-the-castle/

My playdate is from wave 2 and I still use it for sporadic play at my desk and still like it a lot. The season pass games were not really to my taste but there are a few gems.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lucas Pope's game is out! $6!

https://play.date/games/mars-after-midnight/

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I was travelling when it came out, and for the first time didn't bring my Playdate with me. Had a chance to finally play Mars After Midnight, and unsurprisingly it's the best game on the platform, easy recommendation at $6 CAD.

I'll caution though, it's not practical to play on like ... public transit. Some sections depend on audio clues. Though I suppose some people might still use wired headphones.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I am wracked with guilt about the lack of time and attention I have lavished on my Playdate, hopefully picking up Mars After Midnight will be a bit of a kick for me to go properly explore more of the library.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I feel I'd use mine more if that dock ever comes out

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Mars After Midnight got me to start using mine again, though I'm actually kinda down on the game. Production value is sick but gameplay is disappointingly shallow and easy. But I'm spending a lot of time with Zipper, Factory Farming, and Mega Dystopia Micro Architect. I can't get enough of strategy games on this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mode 7 posted:

I am wracked with guilt about the lack of time and attention I have lavished on my Playdate

If you want to feel better, the only time I even remember I own a Playdate is when someone posts in this thread and I think to myself "geez I should probably go charge it"

Almost as if I should just sell it to someone who would appreciate it, but then what kind of tech hoarder would I be?