Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Yeah, the whole place was lit up, but not like… grotesquely so. The lights they used were soft enough to not drown you. It all felt very intimate, very “postcard” and Hallmark channel, if that makes any sense.

The ski trails also had blue lights posted every so often so you could presumably stay on trail even in driving snow.

My sister took the pictures of the outside and inside of the yurt. She clearly paid attention in photography class, because nothing I do comes out like that. I might need to invite her to more trips just to get some high class pictures to post.

Also, this little bastard made it incredibly hard to write and format. I wasn’t paying attention to him, ya know? So that means I had to have claws in my shoulder while I typed.

Hey, I have that keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

That may have been your best write up so far. But I kept waiting for the part where you all were getting set to go to the ER after hitting the luge. Sadly, that was not to be.

I can only imagine it is not what I am picturing. They don't actually send someone with no luge experience down an iced track with the potential to reach speed nearing 50 mph, do they?

And is is really cool that the Sports Park has a big adaptive activities section. I am a big believer that EVERYONE should have the chance to wreck themselves in the outdoors. This coming from a guy who just broke his hip on a backpacking trip.

Eh, they pretty much give you a 5-10 minute spiel and give you a sled. It's not a super complicated deal, you pretty much twist one way or another to steer and the sled wants to stay in the middle as long as you are in neutral. That being said, you can get pretty banged up if oversteer and pinball off the walls. I did that a bit on my 2nd to last run because I basically launched into the wall on the first turn, haha. I didn't get too many pictures this year but here are a few. I might be able to scrounge up some videos from last year.

Course map:

We start at the public start. The top start is basically decommissioned which you can kind of see in the images below. I think they said you generally hit somewhere in the mid 20s mph wise depending on the conditions. This year it was super cold and it felt like we were going really fast but the timing sensors were not functioning due to the fresh snow or something.

Other Pics:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

There’s a luge run in Negaunee (in the UP, not Negaunee Lake) that has a public luge run but I think you’ve gotta bring your own sled and gear. I never knew anybody who just showed up to luge without their own kit.

I loved insanely dangerous sledding as a kid, so it would make sense for me to finally die on an icy hill as an adult.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Dr. Lunchables posted:

There’s a luge run in Negaunee (in the UP, not Negaunee Lake) that has a public luge run but I think you’ve gotta bring your own sled and gear. I never knew anybody who just showed up to luge without their own kit.

I loved insanely dangerous sledding as a kid, so it would make sense for me to finally die on an icy hill as an adult.

OK, I know this is a bit of a derail, but I had never known there was such a thing as natural luge. I too grew up in the Midwest doing insanely dangerous sledding. Our family even had a 6 man toboggan that we took to the facilities in Cook County, Illinois. I think all of them are closed down now. As an adult with kids of my own, I now look back and wonder what the hell my parents were thinking. Loading 700 pounds of humans on a sled and then dropping us down a huge rear end iced lined chute. Good times.

So now I am making plans to spend late January to early March of 2025 in Negaunee so I can learn and then master the sport in the course of 6 weeks. Hopefully I will be able to qualify for the 2025 worlds, as they are only held once every 2 years. Time to goonswarm this! Surely there is one among us who would prove to be a natural and Disney can make a movie about it.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Boy, I may have had a few cocktails when I crafted that sentence.

But if we’re going up there, we might as well stop by Suicide Hill to do some ski jumping. I learned how as a kid, but haven’t done it in roughly three decades. I’m sure it’s just like riding a bike, right?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

It's (just) over the border in Indiana but Pokagon has a refrigerated track with 4 person sleds: https://www.in.gov/dnr/state-parks/parks-lakes/pokagon-state-parktrine-state-recreation-area/toboggan-run-at-pokagon-state-park/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Proud Lake this Friday, just in time for the temperatures to drop. Michigan in springtime!