Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yes, Panem is a busted setting. Now 2000AD's Cursed Earth, that's some primo post-(post-)apocalyptic dystopia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

McSpanky posted:

Yes, Panem is a busted setting. Now 2000AD's Cursed Earth, that's some primo post-(post-)apocalyptic dystopia

NZ should be covered in "extreme volcanic activity" markers imo

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

McSpanky posted:

So whats the big white areas? Places where shits just normal but no one goes there because its not fun?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

So whats the big white areas? Places where shits just normal but no one goes there because its not fun?

We may be living in a dystopian hellscape but at least we don't live in those endless mind numbing suburbs.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

McSpanky posted:

I got a laugh out of Ireland being renamed "Murphyville" on that map, I'm sure it's supposed to be named after someone in the future or have a valid in-universe reason, but it sounds like some sort of slur that they straight up embraced, or the fictitious map maker has some sort of grudge.

"Here's Geneva, here's Casablanca, and up there we have goddamn Murphyville and the Brit Cit." lol

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I have questions about the Melbourne-Sydney conurb. There's some mountains in the way of that project.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

I have questions about the Melbourne-Sydney conurb. There's some mountains in the way of that project.

Remember the proposal to excavate mountains with nukes? Some rear end in a top hat did it for free!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

twistedmentat posted:

From what I can tell it's badlands and deserts all the way down

e: except the Sahara desert, weirdly

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Pretty much, general non-irradiated wasteland. Pockets of holdouts/LMEs, wandering mutants, plant life reclaiming the land, generic fall-of-civilization stuff.

Twenty Four posted:

I got a laugh out of Ireland being renamed "Murphyville" on that map, I'm sure it's supposed to be named after someone in the future or have a valid in-universe reason, but it sounds like some sort of slur that they straight up embraced, or the fictitious map maker has some sort of grudge.

"Here's Geneva, here's Casablanca, and up there we have goddamn Murphyville and the Brit Cit." lol

It basically is a slur, in the post-atomic period the Brits took over the remaining Irish government and turned all the non-irradiated land into a hideously stereotypical theme park where the locals have to act like 19th-century caricatures of themselves to get by.

Most of this was written by Garth Ennis, everyone's favorite handler of delicate racial and social issues.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

McSpanky posted:

Pretty much, general non-irradiated wasteland. Pockets of holdouts/LMEs, wandering mutants, plant life reclaiming the land, generic fall-of-civilization stuff.

It basically is a slur, in the post-atomic period the Brits took over the remaining Irish government and turned all the non-irradiated land into a hideously stereotypical theme park where the locals have to act like 19th-century caricatures of themselves to get by.

Most of this was written by Garth Ennis, everyone's favorite handler of delicate racial and social issues.

That's where they got the idea for Fair Haven in Star Trek Voyager from.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Twenty Four posted:

Misread 'cit' there as something else. Though I guess that'd probably be the Scottish Highlands, going by geography.

I do like how Mega City 2 spread downward through the desert into more desert, instead of north where large urban centers exist. Though I guess 'nukes' is the explanation for anything like that.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Recently I've been playing through Black Mesa. Looking up maps for the Black Mesa research facility, I feel like the maps people are making are subtracting from the fiction rather than adding to it. Maybe throwing a map on a FPS kinda highlights how unrealistic the place actually is? Maybe any story that maps itself around one character is gonna produce some weird maps. I think the best one is the last one, but because it only has where Gordon Freeman actually goes, it feels a bit weird again.

For extra credit, try and graft the expansion packs onto this

That's something I dig about Black Mesa: they seem to have spent lots of time obsessing about the details of Black Mesa, and do things in the design to make areas feel less arbitrary. Black Mesa in addition to an entire goddamn subterranean rail system running through it has an entire road system running through it as well. I mean it has the most extensive water purification system in all of the American Southwest, and 100 story shafts sunk into the earth as a geothermal cooling system, more power plants than the United States Navy, and a railyard that'd do the Dallas-Ft. Worth area proud.

Also from a Lat-Long coordinate in the space launch facility, Black Mesa's fictional location. Which is a bit surprising, since I thought Los Alamos was in fact on a mesa?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
drat yeah I never really thought before how huge Black Mesa is. How many people do you suppose worked there at its peak?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

drat yeah I never really thought before how huge Black Mesa is. How many people do you suppose worked there at its peak?

About 5 iirc, not including Gordon.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Not enough if Im pushing a goddamn dolly on wheels into a whirring billion dollar man shredder.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Beartaco posted:

About 5 iirc, not including Gordon.

Well all those headcrab zombies had to come from somewhere

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Well, if you figure that it has its own mass transit system, and in addition to the modern labs we see, there's a bunch of other labs that may or may not be connected with teleportation research, AND a bunch of old decommissioned labs, plus all its facilities, plus the surface which is covered with support structures and random military warehouses, more warehouses and sewers than I can count, an airport*, mondo rail facilities that can ship material underground to the labs...ironically most of that is very spread out low density stuff. I dunno, 20K employees? If you think 5 k scientists and 15k security and support staff.

*in Black Mesa the game

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I'm more confused by the bottomless pit box-smashing room myself

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Asterite34 posted:

I'm more confused by the bottomless pit box-smashing room myself

lol, I remember a lot of box smashing, but not that pit

Black Mesa has a few functionally bottomless pits, as demonstrated in the documentary Star Wars vertical shafts are the best way to run an air circulation system

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
They are also pretty sweet if you need to throw a dark lord of the sith down something, and they can power a whole city. Shafts rule!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
That's a 200*173 pixel image and I assume that's not quite what you intended when posting.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

And yet I still instantly recognized Dinotopia!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Innocent_Bystander posted:

That's a 200*173 pixel image and I assume that's not quite what you intended when posting.

Mister big screen over here

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Razor Jacksuit posted:

And yet I still instantly recognized Dinotopia!

Childhood dinotopia map use leads to an adulthood of posting ITT

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I sadly can’t get it out of my head now that Dinotopia was some sort of creationist propaganda aimed at kids.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

jeeves posted:

I sadly can’t get it out of my head now that Dinotopia was some sort of creationist propaganda aimed at kids.

Really? I'd love to read more about it, Dinotopia ruled

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Ravenfood posted:

Really? I'd love to read more about it, Dinotopia ruled

I don’t have any hard evidence, it’s just something that I always kinda worried about.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
That's a really strange idea considering how the creator of the series is a scientific illustrator who explicitly invented Dinotopia as an excuse to do some fun fantasy worldbuilding using all that technical know-how he gained from drawing stuff like dinosaurs for a living.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It comes from the fact that teachers I know tell me that their some of their students’ psycho creationist parents love the books for that exact reason and now I have never been able to separate the idea from reality.

I’m glad to hear that data about the author. I’ve kind of been blissfully not looking it up for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

Youremother posted:

How has nobody posted Earthsea yet? One of the best parts of reading Earthsea is flipping back to the map at the front of the book, and tracing Ged's paths around the world.

opened this thread just for Le Guin maps. She was so fuckin cool