Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

apple’s commitment to video games is having a 5 minute segment during every event they do and a subscription service with built in sudoku. that’s it.

also monster hunter is only really popular in asia compared to resident evil which has worldwide appeal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Pulcinella posted:

Apple should have paid Capcom to port Monster Hunter Rise to iOS/tvOS/macOS. Probably would have done more to boost Apple gaming than RE8 and NMS running sub 30fps looking far worse than a launch PS4.

i still can't fathom why that's the footage they used for nms. my guess is it's early porting footage, since the ship warps don't show the same spatial distortions

the game engine has become increasingly smooth as they've refined and aimed it to lower spec machines, especially with upscaling support. it should run better than that unless i missed a '*everything on ultra at full 4k' or '*running on the cheapest m1 mac'

it does look very pretty despite all that, but it's not a good flex for the metal3 tech in their clips

qirex posted:

apple’s commitment to video games is having a 5 minute segment during every event they do and a subscription service with built in sudoku. that’s it.

it's more likely this. at least these game examples are popular and in some cases still receiving regular new releases

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

qirex posted:

also monster hunter is only really popular in asia compared to resident evil which has worldwide appeal

several of my non weeb friends disappeared for a few weeks last time a monster hunter game came out

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Man RE8 looks like poo poo. Why even show it like that

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Agile Vector posted:

i still can't fathom why that's the footage they used for nms. my guess is it's early porting footage, since the ship warps don't show the same spatial distortions

the game engine has become increasingly smooth as they've refined and aimed it to lower spec machines, especially with upscaling support. it should run better than that unless i missed a '*everything on ultra at full 4k' or '*running on the cheapest m1 mac'

it does look very pretty despite all that, but it's not a good flex for the metal3 tech in their clips

it's more likely this. at least these game examples are popular and in some cases still receiving regular new releases

Yeah I think the 8-core M1 GPU is suppose to fall between a PS4 and PS4Pro in terms of pure FLOPS power, and the CPU is probably better than even what’s in the PS5, so it should be able to look better than it does.

And yeah, I don’t really expect Apple to ever really care for gaming beyond services revenue from loot boxes and gatcha games. Especially because their level of effort pretty much guarantees no progress (compare MS setting money on fire for the entirety of the PS2 era just so they could buy entry into the market with the original XBox). But I would like to play what are basically Switch games on-the-go on a system far more powerful than the Switch.

Edit: Also I just think it’s weird that Metal seems to get so much support, resources, and stage time (e.g. Metal 3 with nitty gritty technical information about rendering APIs appearing in the main keynote, which is otherwise pure consumer marketing at this point), but then usually show lackluster looking games. At least this time with RE8 and NMS they showed big, name-brand games. I guess Apple just doesn’t get “mainstream” gaming and thinks if you build it (good apis) they will come, when even Sony and Microsoft pay for what are basically just glorified tech demos to hype up each console generation (e.g. The Order 1886).

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 7, 2022