Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Zomborgon posted:

AO (Aenor only)

It's no AenorS. We're allowed to have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Sanguinia posted:

It's no AenorS. We're allowed to have one.

That's all you really need. One Aenor has room for two Boulders.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Poor Clemence. Poor poor Clemence.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Hellioning posted:

Poor Clemence. Poor poor Clemence.

I don't know why you're saying this. She has no sister!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
A small twitter thread in retrospect on one of the things that Stormblood did extremely well - their treatment of the Steppes.

https://twitter.com/MissYuriV/status/1410721427993497604

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

Was the Steppes kind of a zone-long sidequest-y detour? Yes.

Do we all love it anyway? Hell yes.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Honestly it's a really great zone, because it feels like an actual place in the world full of life and not just a Place Where The MSQ Happens. To name names: Azys Lla was kinda this for me and Ruby Sea is... it could be better. I can think of future examples but I obviously won't mention them. But I am really hoping that in the next expansion we get zones like this, where the developers have the confidence and time to write a well-realised location to simply Be in.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
One of my favorite moments playing all of FFXIV was just being in the Steppe when morning came and the music kicked in

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
It's me. I'm the one who didn't love the Steppe.

I didn't hate it but it was a nothing burger for me. I recall things when people mention them or read about them like in this LP but almost immediately forget everything that happened except I thought Lyse and Hien were gonna hook up in a jail cell and when they didn't I was big mad :argh:

Oh, and Shtola's The Burn (Savage) of course.

Everything else was forgettable but not in any sort of annoying way.

It was a time that certainly happened probably

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I respect your opinion but am sad for you.

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

Eh, everybody plays this game for different things. I know a couple whose favorite raid up through Shadowbringers is the Mhach pirate stuff, and some people who praise the prog/raid scene.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I've update the second post of the OP with a fanart gallery!

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
I posted the teaser trailer a few pages ago, but just for kicks, here's the launch trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1Hdr5XIIQs

Yes, there are a lot of spoilers in there. The Heavensward launch trailer was even worse about that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGFZ6RJqTWY

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If it weren't for the last two seconds, the Heavensward trailer owned. Maybe slightly deceptive, but good movie trailer stuff until it suddenly falls flat and turns into "let's just tell the whole thing right here".

The Stormblood one was not only trying way too hard to hype up the largely incomplete story, but when they included the most brief Estinien cameo that would have cost them little to keep hidden I knew I would just go ahead and skip the Shadowbringers one and I think I still haven't seen it today. They seem to have had their come to Jesus meeting with the marketing folks by Endwalker, where the commercial instead replayed big moments of prior expansions to emphasize the totality of what they were selling.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Craptacular! posted:

The Stormblood one was not only trying way too hard to hype up the largely incomplete story, but when they included the most brief Estinien cameo that would have cost them little to keep hidden I knew I would just go ahead and skip the Shadowbringers one and I think I still haven't seen it today. They seem to have had their come to Jesus meeting with the marketing folks by Endwalker, where the commercial instead replayed big moments of prior expansions to emphasize the totality of what they were selling.

After having done Shadowbringers I'd suggest you go take a look at the launch trailer because they end it with a huge WTF moment.

Was Stormblood when they introduced job-specific LB3? I noticed a few of those in the things they were showing off.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Bruceski posted:

After having done Shadowbringers I'd suggest you go take a look at the launch trailer because they end it with a huge WTF moment.

Oh, right, I've seen this one. That only confirmed what I had believed from the start, but I'm glad I held off on it.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Bruceski posted:

Was Stormblood when they introduced job-specific LB3? I noticed a few of those in the things they were showing off.

no, heavensward was it. they were probably just showing off samurai and red mage

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Yeah, Heavensward was the start of unique LB3 animations - they showed off Dragoon's specifically in the Benchmark (even though Dragoon was already a job in ARR).

Here's a video for the ARR limit breaks.
Tanks shared Last Bastion (now exclusively Paladin's), Healers shared Pulse of Life (now exclusively White Mage's), Melee DPS shared Final Heaven (now exclusively Monk's), and Ranged Magical DPS shared Meteor (now exclusively Black Mage's). There were no Ranged Physical DPS limit breaks, Bard was in Healer limit break pool.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mister Olympus posted:

no, heavensward was it. they were probably just showing off samurai and red mage

I definitely noticed Machinist and Dragoon, which is why I was curious. Probably just part of general sizzle reel.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

"Bard had the Healer LB3" is probably in my top 5 of "pre-Stormblood FFXIV Jank".

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I saved a few coils runs with Bard lb3 I'll tell you what.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_JxY2pRHn4

Since we're going over old videos.

I liked the opening of the Stormblood benchmark where the WoL is doing a meditative kata in Rhalgr's Reach as the Ala Mhigan Resistance readies for battle. Your benchmark buddies arrive and you march off at the head of the army.

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

OhFunny posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_JxY2pRHn4

Since we're going over old videos.

I liked the opening of the Stormblood benchmark where the WoL is doing a meditative kata in Rhalgr's Reach as the Ala Mhigan Resistance readies for battle. Your benchmark buddies arrive and you march off at the head of the army.
What exactly is a benchmark test, and the benchmark buddies?

Not that I actually care if it means the Red Mage Guy can pal around with Monk WoL, and then retire to a beach day in Othard. That poo poo's awesome.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

dyslexicfaser posted:

What exactly is a benchmark test, and the benchmark buddies?

Not that I actually care if it means the Red Mage Guy can pal around with Monk WoL, and then retire to a beach day in Othard. That poo poo's awesome.

It's a program that is designed to stress test your computer, allowing you to determine how well it will do with the game it's for.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Every expansion, a little while before the expansion's release, they release a FFXIV benchmark tool (we do not yet have the one for the upcoming expansion). Besides giving you a "can my computer play this game" score, it includes a character creator and lets you functionally view a trailer for the expansion starring your character instead of the usual trailer guy. These are, obviously, massive spoilers for anything that has come before. But the Heavensward and Stormblood benchmarks can be found.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
To tag on, the benchmarks generally show off some new environments (overland, town, and dungeon) with musics (though not necessarily the proper music matched to the proper zone), at least one new action for each combat job in a battle sequence in addition to a new LB3, one of the trial bosses as well as at least one of the dungeon bosses (ARR: Ifrit, Galvanth the Dominator, Aiatar; HW: Bismarck, Nidhogg; StB: Susano, Yojimbo) , and one of the world boss fates (ARR: Behemoth, HW: Couerlregina, StB: Tamamo Gozen). And, excepting the ARR benchmark (which doesn't have Hollywood WoL in it anyway), they come with the character creator (complete with importing/exporting from/to the main game) so you can run the benchmark with your real Warrior of Light. Though, slight caveat, having any hairstyles that weren't in the game at the time of the benchmark will set your imported appearance to Default Male Hyur, so you may have to hit up Jandelaine first.

Here's some miqo'te Warrior of Light, Ghraet Valu, for instance.

You can still find old benchmark programs online (though on mirrors, since Square Enix only keeps the latest expansion's up at any given time).
A Realm Reborn
Heavensward
Stormblood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~