Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I'm loving all the legal precedent this is setting for anyone who can afford the lawyers to argue "I get to do what the gently caress I want you stupid judge, blow me"

The judge could have easily kept the Wednesday slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
The contempt charges are probably the last chance trump could see jail before everything gets wiped away by sovereign immunity/supremacy clause of being president again.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i'm personally hoping trump uses his campaign day to violate the gag order a few more times, so the judge now has three sets of them to get mad about

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Merchan might be delaying giving Trump a custodial punishment because there's nowhere to put an ex-President in the klink.

Yet.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Rust Martialis posted:

Merchan might be delaying giving Trump a custodial punishment because there's nowhere to put an ex-President in the klink.

Yet.

Rikers?

This really doesn't seem hard. Put him in protective custody, have the prison agree to allow his secret service to sit out front of his cell doors and travel with him internally.

Pain in the rear end and unique, sure, but it isn't some insurmountable hurdle.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

cr0y posted:

Merchan rescheduling from Wednesday to Thursday is most likely because of something coming up in the mental health court he oversees on Wednesdays normally, not anything Trump did or asked for.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Caros posted:

Rikers?

This really doesn't seem hard. Put him in protective custody, have the prison agree to allow his secret service to sit out front of his cell doors and travel with him internally.

Pain in the rear end and unique, sure, but it isn't some insurmountable hurdle.

Rikers admin might say "no" possibly to housing Trump?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm not a lawyer or someone who has been held in contempt, but why would they send him all the way to Riker's? They'll just stick him in the courthouse/station jail.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rust Martialis posted:

Yet.

Guantanamo Bay has plenty of space

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Gitmo is too good for Trump

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
reopen alcatraz just for him

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

cr0y posted:

I'm loving all the legal precedent this is setting for anyone who can afford the lawyers to argue "I get to do what the gently caress I want you stupid judge, blow me"

So we're now up to "You can violate the Judges orders 14 times without repercussion", right? What's the over/under for when he actually starts punishing Trump for directly violating his orders? 17.5?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Randalor posted:

So we're now up to "You can violate the Judges orders 14 times without repercussion", right? What's the over/under for when he actually starts punishing Trump for directly violating his orders? 17.5?

I know this is a bit "one weird trickish" but violating the order ten specific ways before you are summoned to court is sort of one time of violation.

Each of the breaches can be punished individually, and the sheer volume of them is an aggravating factor, but for the purpose of procedure, this is the first time Trump has been summonsed for contempt.
The subsequent four breaches are a second time.

By which I mean "he has been given one formal attempt/notification to remedy his behaviour. This hearing on the 2nd of May will be the second formal notification."

I agree it is a bit farcical and also shows that he won't stop doing this unless he is made stop, but it sort of sums up Trump's political career.
While everyone else is playing boxing, he is playing professional wrestling. That is what works for him, up until a point.

One hopes that since this trial is scheduled to go on for the guts of six weeks, the judge is going to rapidly accelerate the process and reduce their tolerance on the contempt issue.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 26, 2024

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Foxfire_ posted:

Merchan rescheduling from Wednesday to Thursday is most likely because of something coming up in the mental health court he oversees on Wednesdays normally, not anything Trump did or asked for.

Maybe? Also, it could be Merchan firing a shot across the bow to signal that he has ways of loving with Trump that might be more detrimental to his plans than the benefit he’s getting from violating the gag order?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Put him in Magneto’s plastic prison

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Murgos posted:

Maybe? Also, it could be Merchan firing a shot across the bow to signal that he has ways of loving with Trump that might be more detrimental to his plans than the benefit he’s getting from violating the gag order?

I very much doubt that. As a general rule of thumb, Merchan is not going to go out of his way to do petty annoying bullshit just to gently caress around with Trump. He's gonna do it by the book, and "go out of your way to deliberately disrupt someone's planned prior obligations as a tactic" isn't really in that book.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Reading all this stuff about the SC, Trump getting away with all this crap and everyone being afraid to touch him because 'omg the maga people would have a fit' is depressing the crap out of me.I think I need to news detox for the rest of my life. :/

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Foxfire_ posted:

Wouldn't Trump's lawyers have had to file a public request with the court asking it to be moved?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
"i can't believe we did trump's dirty work for him and now his interests have advanced as a result"

https://twitter.com/srl/status/1783841400293056746

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Cimber posted:

Reading all this stuff about the SC, Trump getting away with all this crap and everyone being afraid to touch him because 'omg the maga people would have a fit' is depressing the crap out of me.I think I need to news detox for the rest of my life. :/

If we assume MAGA and Trump eventually fails then I think in 20 years or so there are going to be some really scathing law review articles about how this SCOTUS used some really underhanded scheduling and strategic taking of cases to really draw this out way longer than any rational view of the merits deserved.

The Constitution explicitly states that Presidents can be held criminally liable for Bribery. Bribery requires as an element that you use your official powers to do an official act for corrupt reasons so ergo, ANY OFFICIAL ACT could be cause for criminal proceedings depending entirely on the presidents state of mind and reason for the act.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Murgos posted:

Not a chance.

Merchan, and apparently most other judges, either don't know how to handle someone like Trump or are terrified of holding him to any standard that sees him get anything even approaching serious* punishment.

Which is exactly the sort've thing anyone else who didn't have his power or money would've faced a long long time ago already if they'd done similar things as he has done.

*and no, fines of hundreds of millions to a billionaire that get paid for by others anyways are not serious punishment. Probably the only way to hurt someone as rich as Trump monetarily is with multi billion dollar fines that immediately wipe them out, to the point where he has to live in a box on the street, and somehow couldn't be paid for by others. Which we all know isn't going to happen. Which is sort've the point.

Actually successfully prosecuting people like Trump and then giving them a punishment sufficiently on par with their crime to be a deterrent to other powerful rich types is so incredibly hard to pull off. So much so that extreme cynicism is the only reasonable stance to take until we actually get to see him locked away for a good long while. Even if it is only a house arrest in a goddamn opulent mansion he owns.

Murgos posted:

The Constitution explicitly states that Presidents can be held criminally liable for Bribery.
As long as the D's can't get a supermajority in both houses, which is likely to be true for a long a time barring a miracle, the court can rule on anything anyway it likes and there is nothing to stop them.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 26, 2024

Caros
May 14, 2008

Nuclear Spoon posted:

"i can't believe we did trump's dirty work for him and now his interests have advanced as a result"

https://twitter.com/srl/status/1783841400293056746

This isn't really so clear cut.

No one thought trump had a shot at winning that election. He was down something like 8-15 points in every credible poll up until the first week of November. The man himself didn't think he'd win and probably had a similar horrific realization as they did.

To be horrified that trump actually won and you might have contributed is pretty rational, but at the time they made the decision it wasn't something anyone meaningfully expected.

Murgos posted:

If we assume MAGA and Trump eventually fails then I think in 20 years or so there are going to be some really scathing law review articles about how this SCOTUS used some really underhanded scheduling and strategic taking of cases to really draw this out way longer than any rational view of the merits deserved.

The Constitution explicitly states that Presidents can be held criminally liable for Bribery. Bribery requires as an element that you use your official powers to do an official act for corrupt reasons so ergo, ANY OFFICIAL ACT could be cause for criminal proceedings depending entirely on the presidents state of mind and reason for the act.

No, no. You see you can punish them for accepting money, you just can't say that the money was for anything because there is nothing wrong with appointing someone ambassador and the court cannot review that decision.

Also, it is only a bribe if the sack is emblazoned with one or more dollar signs as will be established in Thomas v fuckyougotmycaravan

Caros fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 26, 2024

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Cimber posted:

Less news will only improve your life. Seriously, if it's stressing you out just drop it. There's so much more in life than following politics news. If anything important happens, you'll hear about it. Take care of yourself. Be free.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

ColdPie posted:

Less news will only improve your life. Seriously, if it's stressing you out just drop it. There's so much more in life than following politics news. If anything important happens, you'll hear about it. Take care of yourself. Be free.

Thanks. I'm sure i'll be back in a week OMGing again, but the vacation might help. Now what to fill my time with...

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Caros posted:

This isn't really so clear cut.

No one thought trump had a shot at winning that election. He was down something like 8-15 points in every credible poll up until the first week of November. The man himself didn't think he'd win and probably had a similar horrific realization as they did.

To be horrified that trump actually won and you might have contributed is pretty rational, but at the time they made the decision it wasn't something anyone meaningfully expected.

Even though this is 100% correct, including Trump being surprised he won, Trump would never allow his lawyers to argue it. He's has had eight years to marinate in being the chosen one, destined to be elected in 2016 and robbed in 2020. There's no way in hell he'll allow his lawyers to say that no one expected him to win.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The lawyers who said that would be testifying against him in this trial, not for him.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Caros posted:

No one thought trump had a shot at winning that election.
*Nate Silvering intensifies*

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

In a non-hellworld, Trump bragging about sexuality assaulting women would have wrapped things up right then and there.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Tayter Swift posted:

*Nate Silvering intensifies*

Yes, it is true that if you constantly hedge your positions you can later claim 'oh I totally thought he had a chance so really my model was right' in much the same way that Peter Schiff proved his foresight in predicting the 2008 financial collapse by claiming the possibility of a financial crash every year since 1992.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1783850706186776672

Can't you see this is tearing his family a part?????

MonkeyOnFire
Jun 3, 2004
I LOVE MONKEYS

zoux posted:

i really don't care, do u?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

zoux posted:

I'm sure Melania is praising whatever higher power she believes in for it, too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm astonished he knows today is his wife's birthday actually

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

bird food bathtub posted:

I'm sure Melania is praising whatever higher power she believes in for it, too.

I'm sure she and her Yoga instructor are having a lovely brunch together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.