Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I honestly forgot that the Expos had played down there before they became the Nats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A basketball question:

When a player goes for a jumping 3 point shot, does it matter where his/her feet were when they threw the ball or where the feet were when they landed?

i.e. they start outside the line, jump and throw, but land inside. Is that 3 points? Or they start inside the line, do a backwards jump and land outside, does that count as 3?

And what is the foot is only barely touching the line? Do you have to be completely out of the area for it to be considered 3, or can you be touching the line, but still technically out of the area?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

A basketball question:

When a player goes for a jumping 3 point shot, does it matter where his/her feet were when they threw the ball or where the feet were when they landed?

i.e. they start outside the line, jump and throw, but land inside. Is that 3 points? Or they start inside the line, do a backwards jump and land outside, does that count as 3?

And what is the foot is only barely touching the line? Do you have to be completely out of the area for it to be considered 3, or can you be touching the line, but still technically out of the area?

Both feet have to be completely behind the line when you jump. There was a famous shot in game 6 of the 2021eastern conference finals where durant would have won the game on a 3 but the replay showed his giant shoes had a toe on the line and it was changed to a 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHxa-wDP6n0

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 20, 2023

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

BrigadierSensible posted:

A basketball question:

It only matters where your feet are when you shoot.

And you can't be touching the line at all. Touching the line at all equals 2 points.

So if you are completely behind the line when you shoot and you jump and end up in front of the line, it's three points because of where you were when you started the shot.

If you start in front of the three-point line and do a fadeaway backwards and end up behind the line, it's only two points because of where your feet were when the shot started.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

nvm i was repeating the same stuff with different words like it was being extra clear in some way when it wasn't

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 20, 2023

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
Does anyone have experience working or playing in minor leagues for any sport? My in-laws just got a team for the 3rd or 4th tier hockey minor league (go Blue Ridge Bobcats!) and it got me curious about this whole sports underbelly. How much is it grim, fun, sad, and/or scammy? I guess division 2 and 3 college sports would count as well.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

ohhyeah posted:

Does anyone have experience working or playing in minor leagues for any sport? My in-laws just got a team for the 3rd or 4th tier hockey minor league (go Blue Ridge Bobcats!) and it got me curious about this whole sports underbelly. How much is it grim, fun, sad, and/or scammy? I guess division 2 and 3 college sports would count as well.
Two docs you should watch if you can:

First one is a Netflix doc about the Danbury Trashers, who played in a league similar to the Bobcats. They were partially owned by a mob boss and the GM was a 17 year old kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrJ3ntd1FCU

Second is "Les Chiefs", available in full on Youtube and linked below. It was filmed around 2004 and follows several players on the Laval Chiefs, a team in Quebec's LNAH. The LNAH is a notoriously violent independent minor league with a wide range of "talent", including a few ex-NHLers, mostly enforcers. This is basically where careers go to get punched to death. There's some real characters in this thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsv_4uLSbFY

shyduck fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 20, 2023

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

R.D. Mangles posted:

Both feet have to be completely behind the line when you jump. There was a famous shot in game 6 of the 2021eastern conference finals where durant would have won the game on a 3 but the replay showed his giant shoes had a toe on the line and it was changed to a 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHxa-wDP6n0

Fun note: the only time any part of this changes is on free throws! On free throws, the shooting player is not allowed to cross the free throw line until the ball touches the rim. This was done because some other old-school players would take running starts and jump from behind the line and basically shoot a diving layup for their free throw.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Would that be a trivial 99% shot for current NBA players?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Would that be a trivial 99% shot for current NBA players?

Probably closer to 90% because fatigue as games go on, but that is also still higher than the current average of about 78%.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

ohhyeah posted:

If I recall correctly the football subforum has a poster or two who played in college.

Like my step...cousin I guess, or something...played pro-am basketball and basically it was like being an exchange student except he lived in Indiana.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

ohhyeah posted:

I work at a league office, but it's mostly just normal corporate work but with the league and team logos everywhere. I'm also on the security side of the house, so I don't think I'd have as many good stories. I did previously work at a tech company, and I'd rather gouge my eyes out than work at a tech company again.

I mostly deal with managing fan incidents at events from a data analytics point of view. As you may be shocked to hear, almost all of those incidents involve someone drinking a few too many.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Operating a Division 4 Soccer Club (But Were Afraid to Ask)

https://medium.com/stockadefc/stockade-fc-end-of-season-recap-2016-c2e4d318b364

They have newer posts about it too.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016

smackfu posted:

Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Operating a Division 4 Soccer Club (But Were Afraid to Ask)

https://medium.com/stockadefc/stockade-fc-end-of-season-recap-2016-c2e4d318b364

They have newer posts about it too.

These were interesting thank you. I like the old documentaries about the crazy teams but also like, even the major league teams were crazy back in the day.

Cool to see Stockade FC is still thriving in 2023 too. It’s funny the owner is like a little mini-billionaire. Rather than splashing millions in the Premier League he’s covering 15k in operating costs for his amateur club.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:
are people in baseball really having meltdowns over batters "flipping the bat"? why?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

nawilo_420 posted:

are people in baseball really having meltdowns over batters "flipping the bat"? why?
The standard tradition vs. flash thing you'll find in all sports, with the same racial connotations it always carries, amplified by baseball's very high baseline level of traditionalism. Also elaborate bat flips are particularly common in the Korean and Japanese leagues, where there's a lot more spectacle to the presentation of the game, more like international soccer than American baseball, and those players are becoming increasingly visible with growing numbers moving to MLB and the Ohtani phenomenon, the World Baseball Classic taking off, etc.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

nawilo_420 posted:

they did a few years ago, but it's a lot less of a thing now

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Plus throwing the bat is technically against the rules and there's a bit of ambiguity between "throw" and "flip" as far as I can tell

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

The standard tradition vs. flash thing you'll find in all sports, with the same racial connotations it always carries, amplified by baseball's very high baseline level of traditionalism. Also elaborate bat flips are particularly common in the Korean and Japanese leagues, where there's a lot more spectacle to the presentation of the game, more like international soccer than American baseball, and those players are becoming increasingly visible with growing numbers moving to MLB and the Ohtani phenomenon, the World Baseball Classic taking off, etc.

If a person ever gets the chance to attend a Japanese baseball game in person, it is truly a sight to behold. My wife and I went to a Swallows game while on vacation and poo poo was bonkers.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Sash! posted:

Plus throwing the bat is technically against the rules and there's a bit of ambiguity between "throw" and "flip" as far as I can tell

The Joey Bats one was so epic.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

trilljester posted:

The Joey Bats one was so epic.

so was harpers chaos flip

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
What's going on with the Athletics? Are they not gonna make it to Vegas after all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rick posted:

What's going on with the Athletics? Are they not gonna make it to Vegas after all?

The Mayor of Las Vegas is making noise that she wants them to stay in Oakland by (correctly) pointing out that the deal Oakland offered was significantly better ... but the Mayor's office doesn't have any actual jurisdiction over the Strip or the area where the proposed stadium is to be built. She's just looking for headlines.