Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Iron Chef: Quest for an Iron Legend is an American cooking show reboot of Iron Chef and Iron Chef America. Alton Brown returns to co-host the show with Kristen Kish, and Mark Dacascos again serves as The Chairman. Contestants challenge the Iron Chefs in a cookoff with a secret ingredient, and in this series, the highest scoring challenger battles with all five Iron Chefs one more time in hopes of becoming an Iron Legend. The series debuted on Netflix on June 15, 2022, for its first season of eight episodes.

----------------------

hell yeah! everyone knows that Alton Brown was the only good thing about any revival seasons that have been done, so this is probably the best we're ever gonna get aside from the OG show, which is not streaming anywhere but many episodes might be up on the tube of you :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
first episode was pretty good, the female co-host is actually great, she seems to be channeling the spirit of Fukui-san

there still is not any good substitute for Oda ):

the Chairman remains... goofy. at the end of episode 1 he makes a Shrek joke and then catches a football and starts running. it's... yeah

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

precision posted:

first episode was pretty good, the female co-host is actually great, she seems to be channeling the spirit of Fukui-san

there still is not any good substitute for Oda ):

the Chairman remains... goofy. at the end of episode 1 he makes a Shrek joke and then catches a football and starts running. it's... yeah

I'm liking it so far, the Iron chef selection is really good, Chairman is amping up the goofiness, and the cohost is a Top Chef champion.

I do think the dedicated floor reporter job could still be useful, even if they let her occasionally do that role.

I don't know that any American show will ever match the level of camp combined with seriousness that the original had so I agree that this is probably the best version we are likely to get.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm on episode 4 and yeah, it's good

Alton and the co-host are both great, but they're both doing the role of Fukui-san, which is a weird dynamic. they deffo should have her do the Floor Reporter thing more

the production is a little too familiar, i hate that one judge who is always on cutthroat kitchen as well, the really basic woman who always says the most basic and dumb stuff :mad:

but yeah the iron chefs are great, Iron Chef French especially, she is ice cold

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
It's honestly still a shame that the original Iron Chef isn't streamable anywhere, might give this one a chance though.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FWIW if any of you use Pluto TV, they have a channel that does nothing but show the original Japanese Iron Chef 24/7 (channel 603). I think you can also access it if you use the FilmRise app, either for mobile or streaming devices, since they bought the international rights to it earlier this year.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Crazy Ted posted:

FWIW if any of you use Pluto TV, they have a channel that does nothing but show the original Japanese Iron Chef 24/7 (channel 603). I think you can also access it if you use the FilmRise app, either for mobile or streaming devices, since they bought the international rights to it earlier this year.

holy poo poo! piss! thanks you

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

precision posted:

holy poo poo! piss! thanks you
Any time :tipshat:

If you're unfamiliar with Pluto TV you can also just watch the channel lineup at their website, which is simply https://pluto.tv

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 21, 2022

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

The built in Samsung tv channels also have it

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I'm working from home today and have been watching Iron chef on Pluto TV for the last 3.5 hours thanks to this thread. I loved this show as a kid, it's even better now because I'd actually eat the dishes they create.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

A Fancy Hat posted:

I'm working from home today and have been watching Iron chef on Pluto TV for the last 3.5 hours thanks to this thread. I loved this show as a kid, it's even better now because I'd actually eat the dishes they create.

As a kid, I watched it religiously with my mother during its run on The Food Network in the 90s. When Pluto announced they were going to start streaming it I apparently let out an audible gasp without even realizing it.

It's just the perfect balance of ridiculous and serious in a show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i still want to get some big interview with the people who did the translation and the english dub, because holy crap is that some high level work that even major video games don't get right

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

precision posted:

i still want to get some big interview with the people who did the translation and the english dub, because holy crap is that some high level work that even major video games don't get right

I've been pretty shocked rewatching this and realizing how solid it is. I think it helps that you rarely see anyone on screen talking and, even when you do, there's no effort to try and match the dub to people's mouth movements, so you can just straight translate what they're saying.

The one downside is that some Japanese jokes or puns are translated literally, so they make no sense to us. Like the secret ingredient is octopus, and one judge asks if they might make "octopus tacos" and everyone starts laughing like crazy. Well it's because in Japanese he asked if they'd make "tako tacos", so it's a play on words.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I like the part where Jesus comes in to bless every meal and turns the 1 plate they made in an hour into 4.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I like the part where Jesus comes in to bless every meal and turns the 1 plate they made in an hour into 4.
don't you loving dare make fun of Chairman Kaga

A Fancy Hat posted:

The one downside is that some Japanese jokes or puns are translated literally, so they make no sense to us. Like the secret ingredient is octopus, and one judge asks if they might make "octopus tacos" and everyone starts laughing like crazy. Well it's because in Japanese he asked if they'd make "tako tacos", so it's a play on words.
They also have a tendency, and I wonder if this would have come from Fuji TV requests, to give younger women who appear on the show voices that make them sound like absolute airheads in the English dub.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Mr. Funktastic posted:

It's honestly still a shame that the original Iron Chef isn't streamable anywhere, might give this one a chance though.

You can, on Plex free TV.

Not sure what service it's using but I'll check.