Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
Anyone else had bluetooth controllers stop working after the latest steam update?

Seems to work fine wired, but seeing "No controllers detected" in steam. The system seems to be able to see the gamepad just fine.

Edit:

It's definitely a steam thing. Non steam games seem to detect the gamepad just fine.

Spyderizer fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

No version of Uplink, from Steam to Gog to the 2001 CD version, no matter what you do to it, will run properly on some Linux machines, and my 90s hax0r rear end has never once regretted switching every machine I own but one to Linux until this very moment. :mad:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Absolutely tragic. Maybe use WINE/proton to run the windows version?

I know it's not the solution you want, but games aging out of easy usability is an old problem, and emulators/wrappers are a cheap and easy way around it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

https://www.protondb.com/app/1510?device=pc

ProtonDB for Uplink has a mix of success and failure reports, but the most recent ones are almost all successes, mainly with the Windows version. (Despite the name, ProtonDB also includes reports on native linux games.)

e: I've personally stopped bothering with native Linux versions at all even when available. They've only worked as well as Proton maybe half the time, and I like the additional sandboxing layer you get from Wine - I don't want a game randomly writing stuff to my home folder.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 4, 2024

King Boo
Feb 24, 2008

nihil novi sub sole
native starts without issue for me & the uplinkos mod (which is windows only) starts with proton ex. didn't go past signup

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Serephina posted:

Absolutely tragic. Maybe use WINE/proton to run the windows version?

I know it's not the solution you want, but games aging out of easy usability is an old problem, and emulators/wrappers are a cheap and easy way around it.
Oh, I absolutely did that. Tried every version of Wine and Proton I could get my hands on. It's a known problem with no solution.
Every machine in the house is running Ubuntu. Works just fine on some, and not on others.

At first I thought it just didn't display the server names, which was like, whatever who cares, but it turns out some buttons and such go missing too and it soft locks you.

NihilCredo posted:

https://www.protondb.com/app/1510?device=pc

ProtonDB for Uplink has a mix of success and failure reports, but the most recent ones are almost all successes, mainly with the Windows version. (Despite the name, ProtonDB also includes reports on native linux games.)

UplinkOS would get me through the content of the game, presumably, but I don't like it. The whole point is to look like a 90s hacker movie and they changed that, and took away all the rad sound effects.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

Spyderizer posted:

Anyone else had bluetooth controllers stop working after the latest steam update?

Seems to work fine wired, but seeing "No controllers detected" in steam. The system seems to be able to see the gamepad just fine.

Edit:

It's definitely a steam thing. Non steam games seem to detect the gamepad just fine.

Simplest solution was just to disable steam input for each game. Not sure why it's on by default, I don't need to relaunch steam if I turn my controller on after launching, it seems better without it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Spyderizer posted:

Simplest solution was just to disable steam input for each game. Not sure why it's on by default, I don't need to relaunch steam if I turn my controller on after launching, it seems better without it.

It's funny, for some games I have that issue (turning on controller after launching), for others - especially non-steam games launched via proton - the steam input works post-launch and is far better than the built-in.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Good news. The Onlink mod fixes that Uplink problem without ruining the interface and experience for me and now my favorite laptop runs it just fine.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Was on Nobara for a few months, i like the way it's done and my games ran nicely but update stability started getting on my nerves.

I've moved to Linux Mint as that's been my daily driver for non gaming stuff until now... no complaints with Last Epoch so that'll do nicely. :)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Is there a way to pause a running program in Ubuntu? Googling that just brings back a bunch of ways to freeze the terminal.

I want to be able to pause any program and resume it and for some reason it seems impossible to me that Linux can't do that.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

LividLiquid posted:

Is there a way to pause a running program in Ubuntu? Googling that just brings back a bunch of ways to freeze the terminal.

I want to be able to pause any program and resume it and for some reason it seems impossible to me that Linux can't do that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CRIU

though ymmv how transparently stuff like GPU contexts or network connections can be restored

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Several different ways, it's a simple request if I'm understanding you correctly? For a nice shiny GUI, use the system monitor ('gnome-system-monitor' in terminal, but should have its own entry in the Unity search bar / gnome start menu somewhere), then right-click the process and Stop it, can be Continue-d later. There are also several terminal tools such as 'top' which do similar.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
SIGSTOP and SIGCONT signals, respectively. If you know the process id then you can send them with the kill command, if you know some unambiguous part of the command line then you can send them with the pkill command. Your desktop environment's process manager may be able to send them too.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

LividLiquid posted:

kill -SIGSTOP [PID]

kill -SIGCONT [PID] to resume

Alternately use htop, or gui stuff like the KDE system monitor can send process signals.

For base linux OS stuff you should google "process pause linux" rather than "process pause ubuntu" to get better results.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Klyith posted:

For base linux OS stuff you should google "process pause linux" rather than "process pause ubuntu" to get better results.
Thank you. Sadly, that brought up nothing but console-related stuff too. I want to freeze a program with a GUI with a hotkey.

But thank you, everybody. I'll give those all a shot tomorrow.

Voodoo Cafe posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CRIU

though ymmv how transparently stuff like GPU contexts or network connections can be restored
Oh, neat!

In practice, does this work like pausing a movie (which is what I should've clarified I meant by this,) or is it more like suspending your PC?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://github.com/Merrit/nyrna

this will do it for any program

works exactly like pausing

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 7, 2024

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

LividLiquid posted:

Oh, neat!

In practice, does this work like pausing a movie (which is what I should've clarified I meant by this,) or is it more like suspending your PC?

i've never actually tried! i'd be curious to know.

It was floated as a potential solution at my job for some users who were working on projects that had ridiculous 30+minute load times but were getting logged out every night by timeout. but we ended up acquiescing and just letting those specific people stay logged in forever instead of digging any deeper on it :(

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

LividLiquid posted:

Ok, that's very different! Sending signals is like low-level bullshit, you just want a global hotkey to pause your video player.

What video player do you use, and what desktop environment (kde, gnome, etc)?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Klyith posted:

Ok, that's very different! Sending signals is like low-level bullshit, you just want a global hotkey to pause your video player.

What video player do you use, and what desktop environment (kde, gnome, etc)?
It's not a video player, though you're not far off. I just meant the pause should *function* as it would with a video.

Basically, the only real open source karaoke hosting software out there only lets you stick a graphic on the screen announcing who the next singer is if you set the show to run automatically and start songs at timed intervals. Worse yet, it tops out at 99 seconds. Just adding a third integer would've fixed my problem, but my crippled rear end sometimes needs longer than 90 seconds to find the singer in a crowded bar, so I figured since I can't just code in the third integer like somebody who actually knows a fuckin' thing, I'd just find a way to pause the countdown clock.

But I have a feeling even if I manage this, it's going to pause my intermission music too, which would be useless to me.

Edit: drat. Nyrna doesn't recognize the program's even running and when I run the stop command from the system monitor it does, in fact, stop my intermission music. I just need to freeze the singer's lyrics window and nothing else. :(

Thank you all. I realize this isn't gaming related, but I don't know where else to ask where I won't get a bunch of lovely people telling me I need to already know the things I'm trying to learn in order to learn them.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 7, 2024

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That's a feature the application developer must implement. The only thing an operating system can do is completely cease to schedule the program in question. This also means it'll stop processing events, and, depending on the design, may receive an absolute barrage of events (keyboard, mouse) once it gets unfrozen.

A pause button seems easy to implement to me, perhaps send the developers a nice message?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
LividLiquid, are you using the open source app? And if so do you have a link to it?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

You're already at the current directory, yes.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Less Fat Luke posted:

LividLiquid, are you using the open source app? And if so do you have a link to it?
Yep!

https://github.com/OpenKJ/OpenKJ

If I knew enough to get in there, it seems like the simplest solution would be to add a third integer to the countdown clock, but if I *really* knew what I was doing, I'd add an option for the next singer up display to be enabled outside of the Autoplay mode.

I submitted it as a feature request, but in looking into this, it seems the author of the software died a ways back. Poor guy. He's made the second-best karaoke hosting software of all time and he made it FOSS.

https://github.com/OpenKJ/OpenKJ/issues/276

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
If you are playing FF XI on Steam Deck or Linux and have been getting a “heartbeat” kind of stutter, the reason appears to have been identified: https://gist.github.com/atom0s/e6ddbb94408baba43e6fed5bee18ea9c?permalink_comment_id=4989027#gistcomment-4989027

Looks like some bad WINE api code introduced in version 6.16.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

Spyderizer posted:

Edit:

So, the downside of this approach is that it doesn't work everytime, and plugging the laptop into the tv for big picture mode now requires cables.

So, back to troubleshooting.

Plugging the controller in both via USB and Bluetooth results in a devices showing up /dev/input/js0, and event28, permissions look the same.

So, I connected the controller to an old Debian laptop I had lying around and steam seemed to like it just fine, both laptops running a new installation of steam, so I think I can rule out a bad steam patch.

I did see an unanswered post on the Ubuntu forums where someone had the same problem with 23.10, which is the same version I'm running, so I'm guessing something changed around Bluetooth handling.

I did notice Debian kept asking me to authorise and trust the controller when it connected and it would show up in steam as soon as I clicked the button. Ubuntu would just connect it automatically so I'm wondering if there's either something in the trust relationship, or something in app armour.

Will keep plugging away.

Edit:

Difference in journalctl

Debian:

Mar 17 21:49:45 silver kernel: input: Xbox Wireless Controller as /devices/virtual/misc/uhid/0005:045E:0B22.0002/input/input15
Mar 17 21:49:45 silver kernel: input: Xbox Wireless Controller Keyboard as /devices/virtual/misc/uhid/0005:045E:0B22.0002/input/input16
Mar 17 21:49:45 silver kernel: hid-generic 0005:045E:0B22.0002: input,hidraw0: BLUETOOTH HID v5.13 Gamepad [Xbox Wireless Controller] on 50:b7:c3:f1:62:8b

Kubuntu:

Mar 17 22:12:35 GS65-Stealth-9SF kernel: input: Xbox Wireless Controller as /devices/virtual/misc/uhid/0005:045E:0B22.003D/input/input86
Mar 17 22:12:35 GS65-Stealth-9SF kernel: microsoft 0005:045E:0B22.003D: input,hidraw10: BLUETOOTH HID v5.13 Gamepad [Xbox Wireless Controller] on a0:51:0b:46:c1:f1

It would seem like Debian's seeing an extra device. Still weird if steam needed to see both, but is odd.

Spyderizer fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 17, 2024

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

Spyderizer posted:

So, the downside of this approach is that it doesn't work everytime, and plugging the laptop into the tv for big picture mode now requires cables.

So, back to troubleshooting.

Plugging the controller in both via USB and Bluetooth results in a devices showing up /dev/input/js0, and event28, permissions look the same.

So, I connected the controller to an old Debian laptop I had lying around and steam seemed to like it just fine, both laptops running a new installation of steam, so I think I can rule out a bad steam patch.

I did see an unanswered post on the Ubuntu forums where someone had the same problem with 23.10, which is the same version I'm running, so I'm guessing something changed around Bluetooth handling.

I did notice Debian kept asking me to authorise and trust the controller when it connected and it would show up in steam as soon as I clicked the button. Ubuntu would just connect it automatically so I'm wondering if there's either something in the trust relationship, or something in app armour.

Will keep plugging away.

Edit:

Difference in journalctl

Debian:

Mar 17 21:49:45 silver kernel: input: Xbox Wireless Controller as /devices/virtual/misc/uhid/0005:045E:0B22.0002/input/input15
Mar 17 21:49:45 silver kernel: input: Xbox Wireless Controller Keyboard as /devices/virtual/misc/uhid/0005:045E:0B22.0002/input/input16
Mar 17 21:49:45 silver kernel: hid-generic 0005:045E:0B22.0002: input,hidraw0: BLUETOOTH HID v5.13 Gamepad [Xbox Wireless Controller] on 50:b7:c3:f1:62:8b

Kubuntu:

Mar 17 22:12:35 GS65-Stealth-9SF kernel: input: Xbox Wireless Controller as /devices/virtual/misc/uhid/0005:045E:0B22.003D/input/input86
Mar 17 22:12:35 GS65-Stealth-9SF kernel: microsoft 0005:045E:0B22.003D: input,hidraw10: BLUETOOTH HID v5.13 Gamepad [Xbox Wireless Controller] on a0:51:0b:46:c1:f1

It would seem like Debian's seeing an extra device. Still weird if steam needed to see both, but is odd.

Ok, so I'm not sure if this was the *right* right answer, but installing xpadneo seems to have fixed it. I actually had to run the uninstall script first, which is odd because I don't remember installing it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Ever since the big Steam for linux update a month ago, I've been having some occasionally weird behavior. I have Steam Overlay disabled in the overall Steam settings, but it's acting like it isn't fully disabled anymore.

I can't shift-tab to see the overlay, but I *am* getting achievement popups now that are bound to the game window like they're in the overlay. And very occasionally the steam window itself un-minimizes and pops up over the game. Not in overlay form, as a separate window.

Anything like this happening to anyone else?

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Klyith posted:

Ever since the big Steam for linux update a month ago, I've been having some occasionally weird behavior. I have Steam Overlay disabled in the overall Steam settings, but it's acting like it isn't fully disabled anymore.

I can't shift-tab to see the overlay, but I *am* getting achievement popups now that are bound to the game window like they're in the overlay. And very occasionally the steam window itself un-minimizes and pops up over the game. Not in overlay form, as a separate window.

Anything like this happening to anyone else?

No clue about the achievement popups (Could it be the game's own internal achievement popup?).

For the Steam window, could it be the compositor? I know in plasma there is a setting to "allow applications to block compositing" which is enabled by default (I think). A hiccup or other oddity with the compositor blocking when running a game might explain the issue? The only other thing I can think of is Steam actively doing something in the background. In the Steam library settings there are a low bandwith mode and low performance mode options that may help prevent Steam from excitedly jumping to the foreground.

Otherwise, the most quirky thing that Steam does for me is opening and closing tiny x-server windows in the top left of my screen when mousing over certain dropdown menus (like right click menus for games) or when opening or closing additional steam app windows.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Someone just posted about that issue in the Steam thread too, and apparently it’s a known issue that Valve is trying to fix.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Brutakas posted:

No clue about the achievement popups (Could it be the game's own internal achievement popup?).

For the Steam window, could it be the compositor? I know in plasma there is a setting to "allow applications to block compositing" which is enabled by default (I think). A hiccup or other oddity with the compositor blocking when running a game might explain the issue? The only other thing I can think of is Steam actively doing something in the background. In the Steam library settings there are a low bandwith mode and low performance mode options that may help prevent Steam from excitedly jumping to the foreground.

Otherwise, the most quirky thing that Steam does for me is opening and closing tiny x-server windows in the top left of my screen when mousing over certain dropdown menus (like right click menus for games) or when opening or closing additional steam app windows.

The achievement thing, hmm now that you mention it I'm not sure. The popup wasn't styled like other steam notifications. It was happening on an old game (Battletech) for which I already have most of the achievements, and while I don't remember it having internal popups it's also been a few years.

I'm on wayland so it definitely could be the compositor / WM. I don't have the disable compositor setting, afaik wayland you can't turn off the compositor. Always Be Compositing.

Possibly I will just write it off to the fact that Valve is still meh on wayland and not extensively testing it. In another year or so maybe wayland will have all the stuff that steam wants and they'll move to it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pretty interesting and detailed slides from a presentation by an Igalia developer about work they’re doing on a gaming-optimized scheduler for Linux

https://static.sched.com/hosted_files/ossna2024/9b/scx-lavd-oss-na24.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
steam can also do desktop notifications which is probably what you're seeing

for the steam window popping up problem, it's probably chromium (because everything is chromium now) UI crashing and restarting or something, it happens every now and then. i never notice it when it actually happens because i have steam running on a different desktop than games, but then i switch desktops and steam is back to library home page instead of wherever it was before lol