Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Yikes. Hopefully someone puts out a save editor or cheat mod sometime soon, definitely don't like that.

Edit: or they could fix the game themselves :)

Moonshine Rhyme fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Yikes. Hopefully someone puts out a save editor or cheat mod sometime soon, definitely don't like that.

WeMod has mods for it already.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

TheAnomaly posted:

WeMod has mods for it already.

Trainers have always been hit or miss for me, and they usually feel "off" for downloading and running programs. is wemod a better option than trainers of old?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
wemod is like a master trainer. it can do pretty much any game and gets updated all the time.

its kind of like cheatengine except you don't have to put in your own tables

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I think i'm gonna put this down in zone two.

I want to like the game but I really don't want to fight another pack of wolves or whatever for food again. Especially when I usually only take a couple hits a fight.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I don't think I've ever hunted for food a single time in this game. The economy kind of breaks in half once you gain access to more than one area because trade runs are trivially easy and absurdly profitable so you can just buy all the food you need.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Trainers have always been hit or miss for me, and they usually feel "off" for downloading and running programs. is wemod a better option than trainers of old?

Yeah, it's a collection of trainers - but because it's a moderated instead of file off some random website you're less likely to get hit with a virus. I started using it a few years ago with State of Decay 2 so that I wouldn't have to do the lovely wave survival mode to get red talon points, and it's become my go to for games that have grindy stuff I don't want to grind.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

TheAnomaly posted:

Yeah, it's a collection of trainers - but because it's a moderated instead of file off some random website you're less likely to get hit with a virus. I started using it a few years ago with State of Decay 2 so that I wouldn't have to do the lovely wave survival mode to get red talon points, and it's become my go to for games that have grindy stuff I don't want to grind.

Appreciate the plug, using it. And having double XP feels a lot better.

What are the titles for? I keep seeing them get unlocked but I can't seem to find them in a menu.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Appreciate the plug, using it. And having double XP feels a lot better.

What are the titles for? I keep seeing them get unlocked but I can't seem to find them in a menu.

As far as I can tell they're a vestigial feature from before the Paths system was finished.

I fattened up a pig and this stupid motherfucker immediately walked into a lightning strike on the last round of a battle when I was nearly to town to clear out my inventory.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Vanguard is living up to the Mass Effect archetype: charge into enemies, then bash their brains out. I'll try to clip at least two enemies with relentless charge and then line up an attack that hits two or more with my regular swing so valorous chain pays for the cost of the charge and generates a net +1 valor point.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah that Vanguard move puts in work.

Executioner and challenging shout with it's upgrade is a great crowd shredder. Run into a group, shout and drag everyone into close range and make them fragile so the executioner whirlwind has more targets and is more likely to get extra procs from killing targets.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 1, 2023

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

CommissarMega posted:

There are capture mechanics? drat, how do I get started on that racket? And if I capture someone, can I recruit them later? I want to kidnap some named bandits and Stockholm them into signing up!

You can capture animals with rope and people with chains (they're sold at prisons). And yes, if you spend enough time with a prisonner in tow and treat them well they'll eventually offer to join up. It's usually a bad idea because NPCs only get two passive traits instead of a full skill tree.

That being said, prisonners carry poo poo as well as ponies and eat less (also don't cost a dime). The only issue is that sometimes they manage to run away and can leave you stranded with too much poo poo to carry ; but there's always the banner to solve that for a while (also a camp building to prevent it entirely at Bad Person Reputation Tree 4)

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Protip I wish someone had told me at the very first tomb: If you, like me, despise sliding puzzles and don't want to spend 20 minutes dicking around with them: just hit da bricks! When you leave, the game summons SOLVIUS THE SOLVERIZER and you can pay him either 40 influence or 80 gold to just auto solve the stupid puzzle for you.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Another tip is that you can upgrade those purple colored weapons you find from tombs at those brotherhood training grounds. Wish I had known that before selling my first two because their stats were worse than the gear I had crafted!

Honestly, after playing through two regions, I'm kind of cooling off on the game. It's fun if a bit repetitive, but the design and balance isn't as tight and well-crafted as something like Battle Brothers and the story elements of what I've seen so far are pretty weak.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

moot the hopple posted:

Another tip is that you can upgrade those purple colored weapons you find from tombs at those brotherhood training grounds. Wish I had known that before selling my first two because their stats were worse than the gear I had crafted!

Honestly, after playing through two regions, I'm kind of cooling off on the game. It's fun if a bit repetitive, but the design and balance isn't as tight and well-crafted as something like Battle Brothers and the story elements of what I've seen so far are pretty weak.

Yeah I 100% get this feeling. I find that it's a fun game for when I want to just practice my mercenary grind set of running from one corner of creation to another doing odd jobs to stay solvent, but when it comes to some of the later fights in particular things get big and unwieldy but not necessarily fun at the same time.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I am also a sucker for precisely the mercenary company vibes of roaming the lands and taking contracts to stay a step ahead of my debts. To be fair, Wartales does do a decent job at that. But I am getting kind of burned out on the samey-ness of it all. There are just some fights that I come across that I dread fighting over and over again. I felt that way of Battle Brothers but that was after literal hundreds of hours with it. It's concerning that things are already feeling stale for me at this point.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Protip I wish someone had told me at the very first tomb: If you, like me, despise sliding puzzles and don't want to spend 20 minutes dicking around with them: just hit da bricks! When you leave, the game summons SOLVIUS THE SOLVERIZER and you can pay him either 40 influence or 80 gold to just auto solve the stupid puzzle for you.

I just use an online solver

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

moot the hopple posted:

it also feels like you see everything it has to offer pretty quickly, and the grind post-level 6 is awful.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
My main issues are that there aren't enough maps, and there isn't enough variety on the maps that exist. I was actually really excited to get to the town maps only to find that you can 100% shoot directly through buildings. There also aren't enough little character moments that spawn, Battle Brothers was good about having a big mix of consequential ones and smaller character/company/silly ones. It would also be neat to have more stuff for customizing the company as a whole; banners, colors, titles, names, etc, just feels like a real missed opportunity to help me connect with my little murder hobos.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I have yet to recruit a horse fucker so this game is objectively inferior to Battle Brothers.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I actually prefer this to BB simply because it has a clearer sense of progression with its regional stories as opposed to BB's endless fighting without end- it gives me something to look forward to doing even on repeated playthroughs. For me, where BB beats Wartales is in how classes are locked to certain weapons and armour, especially since their skills and abilities don't really seem locked towards specific weapons.

Anyway, i wanted to ask if there are any mods or such to alter the light radius, or to eliminate darkness in tombs entirely- the first time I fought in a tomb with my basic 4 dudes was scary and tense, but now that I've got a posse of troops in heavy-ish armour it just gets annoying waiting for the monsties to come, only for me to kill one of them and for the rest to break.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Does anyone know of a good way to get iron ore (and cloth) in the early game? It's not like there are mines all over the place. I really want to outfit my crew in proper armour and weapons, loads of them still have the starting rags and wooden clubs/woodaxes. Iron is definitely the limiting factor on what my blacksmith can make.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Genghis Cohen posted:

Does anyone know of a good way to get iron ore (and cloth) in the early game? It's not like there are mines all over the place. I really want to outfit my crew in proper armour and weapons, loads of them still have the starting rags and wooden clubs/woodaxes. Iron is definitely the limiting factor on what my blacksmith can make.

At least in region locked mode, there are a decent amount of mines and ore deposits around the first starting zone for me.

Upgrading the tinker table is also handy to break down items into components, I think you can get ore from that

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
You can sometimes find materials sold by the traveling merchants on roads. Mines are actually decently abundant in the starting region compared to others. Don't forget you can also revisit them periodically to mine more ore from them. I believe the main refugee camp might also have cloth for sale. If not, there's a guaranteed cloth vendor in the Vertruse region at least.

I personally have given up on this game after completing three and a half regions. The game just becomes an unbearable slog to get to higher experience levels after level 6 and even encountering new enemies and contracts doesn't make the fights engaging enough to repeat dozens of times to grind out experience. I like the bones of the game but I think it needs tuning on some of its fundamental designs, including attribute, skills, and trait, because they did not do a good job at making these balanced.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it starts off fine, but it gets real bogged down by the midgame. I don't know how long it would take to finish a full run and I'm unlikely to ever try.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
God the random jerkyness that happens to me (and I've seen mentioned on the forums) in the game is a proper arse

I also feel like all my guys kinda look the same and while I have a rough idea of who is who I can't easily tell when I'm messing around. Kinda regretting buying the game now because after 4 hours I feel like I've seen most of what there is to see and the story is EXTREMELY flat.
It's also absolutely poo poo at explaining things. There's a guy with a crown above him and a red aura who I assume is a strong bounty but why not tell me when I hold over him?? Just seems like a weird choice.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Thanks for all the iron advice. I set up the crafting table to start dismantling weapons and that is helping.

I have the same thoughts as many others on the game - super interesting mechanics, nice atmosphere, but not too well balanced or structured. I've played maybe 9 hours now and completed the mainline quest and most locations in the first region. But I can already see that while there are many, many more bonuses etc to unlock, I think I've seen the pattern of the game and it will just be more of the same.

Does anyone know how experience is calculated? IE per person or for the squad? Just wondering if by basically favouring certain guys as killing machines I am accelerating their level gain over others.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
It's shared exp and stuff like getting multiple kills or landing the killing blow doesn't seem to be a factor. Then there's things like traits that modify exp. Later there are also camp upgrades that grant exp bonuses.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
And using a trainer to give double -5x exp

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

moot the hopple posted:

It's shared exp and stuff like getting multiple kills or landing the killing blow doesn't seem to be a factor. Then there's things like traits that modify exp. Later there are also camp upgrades that grant exp bonuses.

Really?
I did the first fight 3 times trying different comps and every time the person who killed at least one of the enemies would level up

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Taear posted:

Really?
I did the first fight 3 times trying different comps and every time the person who killed at least one of the enemies would level up

Yes, if you notice on starting a new game that not all of your starting members start at the same experience level and in fact some are already on the verge of leveling up. It wasn't that they killed someone, it's because they had higher initial exp.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

moot the hopple posted:

Yes, if you notice on starting a new game that not all of your starting members start at the same experience level and in fact some are already on the verge of leveling up. It wasn't that they killed someone, it's because they had higher initial exp.

Oh that's a strange decision
Like don't get me wrong it makes sense, I just mean the starting XP bit is a strange choice.

I've seen it mentioned but holy poo poo DoTs are powerful and lovely in this, surely there's a way to remove them?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Taear posted:

Oh that's a strange decision
Like don't get me wrong it makes sense, I just mean the starting XP bit is a strange choice.

I've seen it mentioned but holy poo poo DoTs are powerful and lovely in this, surely there's a way to remove them?

I agree, that is weird. What are DoTs?

Explored a tomb last night which I have to say was refreshingly weird and fun! Also investigated one (of the 3) broken items I recovered, which turned out to be a frickin sweet two handed hammer.

I take it 'upgradable' is that I can take it to a Brotherhood training camp and upgrade it to my guys' level? I would assume this is the best way to keep the good weapons levelled to my guys.

I finished off my session with an equal battle of my 10 level 4-5 mercs against 10 level 6 Outlaws, who started to get group-wide buffs etc. Actually really interesting and made me think the game might have more legs than I thought. It's taking me a while to get used to the tactics of which model to activate, which to target etc. I'm constantly misclicking, or moving somewhere and ending just as I realise I should have engaged differently, or ended up next to an enemy to gain temp valour, or things of that nature.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Genghis Cohen posted:

I agree, that is weird. What are DoTs?

Explored a tomb last night which I have to say was refreshingly weird and fun! Also investigated one (of the 3) broken items I recovered, which turned out to be a frickin sweet two handed hammer.

I take it 'upgradable' is that I can take it to a Brotherhood training camp and upgrade it to my guys' level? I would assume this is the best way to keep the good weapons levelled to my guys.

I finished off my session with an equal battle of my 10 level 4-5 mercs against 10 level 6 Outlaws, who started to get group-wide buffs etc. Actually really interesting and made me think the game might have more legs than I thought. It's taking me a while to get used to the tactics of which model to activate, which to target etc. I'm constantly misclicking, or moving somewhere and ending just as I realise I should have engaged differently, or ended up next to an enemy to gain temp valour, or things of that nature.

DoT = Damage over Time, like bleed and poison. You can remove them using the First Aid skill. You can get it on all your dudes using the "trick" of stealing skillbooks explained below.

I actually beat this game recently but I did so using WeMod where I set an XP modifier to like 5x after reaching level 4. It would be an impossible grind otherwise. I quite liked it but there are some really weird decisions that make the game pretty boring and grindy, especially getting materials for the late game weapons will have you running back and forth across the world to hit the different mines over and over and collecting ever increasing amounts of wood and cloth. Money can also be tight unless you go back and forth trading the trading materials for a pittance.

A great tip is to steal everything that you use instantly, such as recepies or skillbooks, then you only have to pay a very small fine to the guard dudes, like 90 gold for stealing books worth several thousands. Steal the books from the brotherhood to upgrade your skills/add skills as early as possible.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

TjyvTompa posted:

DoT = Damage over Time, like bleed and poison. You can remove them using the First Aid skill. You can get it on all your dudes using the "trick" of stealing skillbooks explained below.

Oh right, does it say that in the description? I thought it only removed Dying!
Christ that makes it super super important

Someone mentioned in a negative review that it feels a bit like a mobile game and I can't shake that feeling. The weird quicktime events of the crafting, the sheer insane grind once you hit a certain point, babysitting them as they walk around.
Loads of weird time wasting stuff and very little variety

Also stuff in reviews like this:

quote:

- People complained about completing the game too fast, so the devs removed almost every skill and perk that boosts your movement speed in the world, so it now literally takes you longer to finish the game because it takes you longer to get anywhere in the game.

Taear fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jun 1, 2023

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
[Managed to squeeze in a little more of the game today and I am definitely hooked. Really enjoying the companions' synergy.

Best bits have been exploring the tombs, which I think are neat, and I had an absolutely epic attack on a bandit camp. I figured 2 waves of reinforcements wasn't that bad, didn't realise each wave was fully the strength of the initial squad. So I fought 30 level 6 bandits (my guys are a mix of levels 5-6). Made it without deaths by the skin of my teeth, my tank swordsman on 1hp and several guys on single digits.

TjyvTompa posted:

I actually beat this game recently but I did so using WeMod where I set an XP modifier to like 5x after reaching level 4. It would be an impossible grind otherwise. I quite liked it but there are some really weird decisions that make the game pretty boring and grindy, especially getting materials for the late game weapons will have you running back and forth across the world to hit the different mines over and over and collecting ever increasing amounts of wood and cloth. Money can also be tight unless you go back and forth trading the trading materials for a pittance.

A great tip is to steal everything that you use instantly, such as recepies or skillbooks, then you only have to pay a very small fine to the guard dudes, like 90 gold for stealing books worth several thousands. Steal the books from the brotherhood to upgrade your skills/add skills as early as possible.

Ha, funnily enough I had the same thought last night and independently discovered that stealing loophole. The fines are a fraction of the cost of actually buying these very impactful upgrades, and the actual owners don't resent it at all, just the guards.

I learnt the journeyman armourer skills and although rimesteel is scarce, made my first weapon at that tier - only to find out it needs level 8! Going to be a long grind.
I am really enjoying the gameplay, but might still break down and mod it.

I am in Arthes (sp?) as my second region. Thought I'd skip the other similarly levelled one (Vertruse?) And go straight to the next one up (Ludern?)

What I'm only starting to explore is how much you can stack buffs. Made some oils and armour layers, have sampled the odd food recipe. But just by stacking the right foods you can probably give your guys enormous damage boosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

First DLC announced. Coming out Dec 14
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1527950/announcements/detail/3896239307763412233
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1527950/announcements/detail/3896239307770205990
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2692400/Wartales_Pirates_of_Belerion/

Adds sailing and a new region. New fighting styles too from the looks of it (unarmed or dual wielding)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MqvE7Go1As