Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

space chandeliers posted:

If you're going to build a gaming PC, you could just add a second GPU that is compatible with CRT Emudriver (basically older AMD Radeon cards that can still output analog through a VGA port). CRT Emudriver allows you to output a 15khz signal that's compatible with CRT TVs. None of my TVs accept RGB, so I need an encoder like this to convert the signal to NTSC composite, S-video, or component. For your Ikegami though, I imagine you'll just need to find out the proper pin outs from the VGA and make a cable that ends in the proper BNC connectors without the need for the encoder in between the GPU output and TV.

One caveat is that your main GPU should be Nvidia-based as CRT Emudriver does not play well with the stock AMD driver.

Although I've not tried it, it's also possible to do that with an nvidia gpu. You use CRU to make a super resolution (usually something like 2560x240, the super-wide resolution brings the pixel clock up to the GPU's minimum spec). There are also VGA to BNC cables on Amazon.

I was gonna experiment with both ways at some point but never got around to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

CRU will work but it's sort of inconvenient since you'll need to track and apply the wide variation of 240p resolutions between games/systems. Plus, some games like Silent Hill and a lot of other PS1 titles switch between 240p and 480i constantly, which would be annoying with CRU. CRT Emudriver is able to handle those on the fly resolution switches, which I think makes it worth the hurdle of selecting the proper GPUs for your rig (or even just getting a cheap second-hand Dell Optiplex or whatever and using that as a dedicated emulation rig).

Downside to CRT Emudriver besides the possible learning curve of procuring and setting up the right GPU/converters is that the compatible GPUs are getting quite old. If OP wants something powerful enough to run Wii emulation I'm pretty sure the newest compatible ones can handle it though, but I haven't tried emulating Wii.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
The last Nvidia GPUs with analog out are the Geforce 9xx series. Still fairly good stuff.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Rubellavator posted:

Although I've not tried it, it's also possible to do that with an nvidia gpu. You use CRU to make a super resolution (usually something like 2560x240, the super-wide resolution brings the pixel clock up to the GPU's minimum spec). There are also VGA to BNC cables on Amazon.

I was gonna experiment with both ways at some point but never got around to it.

This sounds a lot like the trick to get the MiSTer to play 15khz 240p games on a VGA monitor. It works, but there are some side effects/imperfections with some cores.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I just experienced a weird behavior with my Wii and two CRTs and I'm curious what the explanation is:

I have a modified Wii with a WiiDual installed. I was futzing with it with an OSSC and set the analog output to RGsB instead of RGB.

When I re-connected it to my component matrix, I noticed that a Sony WEGA showed the image with a green tint while a Toshiba 14AF42 showed the image just fine.

When I brought up the GCvideo OSD and switched it back to RGB, both displays showed the correct color profile.

Signal Path:

Wii > RetroAccess SCART > AxunWorks SCA-101> Shinybow SCART2Component > CELabs SW204HD > CRT

Why can the Toshiba properly parse RGsB but the Sony cannot?

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

A guy locally to me is trying to sell a View Sonic p220f, and that screen looks rad as heck.

But, he also describes it as having a "dim bulb, that can probably be replaced. lol"

Is this is a monitor on its last legs, or is it actually fixable by a dumb human?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I would never buy a crt that needs a tube swap.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Dim bulb is bad. Gotta be a lotta hours.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Ok, sounds like the dude is trying to pull a fast one

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Ask yourself what kind of person sells and/or gets rid of a CRT.

(a bad one lol)

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Kazvall posted:

Ask yourself what kind of person sells and/or gets rid of a CRT.

(a bad one lol)

I might get rid of mine now that I have a RT4k.

Ok probably not, but I've at least considered it.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Rubellavator posted:

I would never buy a crt that needs a tube swap.

I would only buy one if I already had a good tube and bad chassis. Even then it’d have to be a special TV or PVM/BVM. Viewsonics of that era are pretty cool I spent many hours with one as my primary back in the early 2000s.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Picked up a Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 200 today.

Payed £80 for it, and I feel like I got a pretty decent deal at that price.

First time using a CRT monitor in.. well, gently caress knows how long. It's been a while. I also have no idea what I'm doing with the settings or any calibration, but it looks OK and I'm having a nice time with it.

Fired up Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun and poo poo.. it just felt right.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Is there a special repository for service menu codes for different CRTs?

I'm looking to tweak the geometry on an RCA 20F510TD and google-fu has failed me. None of the sequences people have historically recommended for RCAs work.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

Is there a special repository for service menu codes for different CRTs?

I'm looking to tweak the geometry on an RCA 20F510TD and google-fu has failed me. None of the sequences people have historically recommended for RCAs work.

This service manual isn't for that exact model, but it's close: https://archive.org/details/rca-20f511t-truflat-crt-tv-service-manual/page/n11/mode/2up

The code it gives is to reduce volume to zero, then press Info while holding Volume Down.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Gottta get rid of my 50” or so rear projection Mitsubishi that I haven’t turned on in 4 years.

Time to say good night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Reading that post hurts my back.