Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Moonhaven is AMC's newest offering at the altar of Peak TV, a loving awesome scifi show that no one's ever heard of but I honestly think goons would loving love given half the chance.

The future is hosed. Humanity is in decline: the earth is poisoned, war is constant, resources scarce. The solution may rely on new technologies, sure, but what are new technologies without the ability to use them wisely. Moomhave posits that humanity's one big swing is in the creation of a new, fresh, intentional community, a modern paradise built onto a terraformed moon.

This is Lune: a community without significant strife or conflict, with fresh air and open water. Lune has no money, minimal crime, a social system build on trust and empathy -- a lot of the first episode is built around cleverly playing on what you'd expect from a "police" force in this kind of a story.

One of the show's greatest qualities is that it, superficially it seems to resemble a classic utopia with a dark secret narrative, but it's increasingly obvious from the first three episodes (minor spoilers) that the secret isn't one inherent to this Utopia -- rather than being some secret trap, the real threat to Lune seems to come from an Earth that's unwilling to compromise its values for the technology and resources it can exploit from its precious second chance.

The other reason I'm recommending this show is that it's surprisingly well acted and characterised for a show with this bonkers a premise, and very, very funny. From the makers of Lodge 49 and it's got a similar sense of humour. The first episode loving rocks too, just one of the better constructed pilots I've seen in years.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That shot where the kid got splattered was loving great. This shown is doing a good job giving a strong sense of Earth even though we only see little bits of it.

It's such a dorky show sometimes, with all the computer interactions. Aylet Zuhrer (moon goddess lady) did a good job with her big moment, but it's still very funny. And inconvenient. Your arms would get tired if you had to gesticulate them wildly for hours every day.

Also interesting that they're not really holding back with the conspiracy angle. It's very clear that Indira Mare is behind all of this. I really like that plot angle tbh, because it makest this a show about a paradise that's being co-opted, rather than a paradise with a dark secret. I'm beginning to wonder whether the dead girl was involved in some sort of resistance movement.

This is such a great show though. I didn't mention this above, but the cop double act is so so funny, I love the idea that their job is almost entirely about therapy and rehabilitation. It's a crazy great idea.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
With such a short season they probably won't answer it, but I want to know why the livable area of the moon hasn't been expanded.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I assume it was done on purpose since the idea isn't to fully colonize da Moon. Also I've only watched up to episode 3 but I feel bad for Paul since he keeps running into the idea that not everyone is a true believer that he was told all his life.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There's no way this show is renewed, but I loving love it anyway. I love that it's expressly political, and has characters express various different trenchant positions at each other in ways that still feel natural to the limitations and perspectives of their status as flawed individuals. I love that it's an example of utopian sci-fi, in the sense that it's actively trying to grapple with the ideas of how a Star Trek style fully luxury space communism universe could come into existence (with no cops, so not really Star Trek). I love that it's barking mad, and that it has fun with its concepts -- the moment when Maite finally drops the cryptic weirdness and reveals her actual deal was loving hysterical. And the entire fight scene that opens Episode 5 is just very smart and funny.

The editing in this episode (five) was not the tightest the show has ever been, sadly. But I still love the utterly wacky insanity of the entire thing -- the arm gag was so good, holy poo poo.

I also love that it somehow managed to get brigaded by a handful of imdb chuds (or possibly one chud, godspeed to you, you gentle idiot) because the lead was a biracial woman. Which meant that the racists didn't stick around long enough to enjoy the reveal that the show's main white dude actor isn't just a cuck, but has cuckholded himself out of a devotion to his leftist political tenets. The absence of those subsequent meltdowns was truly a tragic loss for all humanity.

So at this point I'm getting the vibe that Maite wants to leave humanity behind, and Tomm wants to eliminate their threat (and, in doing so, effectively remake them). And I still get the sense that the envoy isn't playing putting all her cards on the table.

Great show. I love weirdo British sci-fi fantasy.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The show is so unique, it would be a shame for it not to get a second season. It's not my impression that it's too expensive to make.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
RENEWED MOTHERFUCKERS

https://deadline.com/2022/07/moonhaven-renewed-season-2-amc-1235080321/

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
I want to be an architect live on the moon.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The feral child attacking out of nowhere and then flying away wasn't as nuts as Raised by Wolves, but it was in there trying.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Great news, I really like this quirky show.

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
I like this show ... kinda - but its really hard to recommend. It feels like a lot of low budget sci-fi upstart channels would put out where they had a great concept and neat ideas, but didn't have the money to invest in thinking things through and developing a clear vision and tight scripts. The fourth episode was an awkward mess and the plot progression has been really jerky. I guess I'm mostly just sad because the ideas are so great - but the execution has been disappointing.

Also, is anyone else noticing horrible CGI whenever the spaceship is in real-world shots? Like its very low-res and the edges have no anti-aliasing like an old video game.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

False posted:

I like this show ... kinda - but its really hard to recommend. It feels like a lot of low budget sci-fi upstart channels would put out where they had a great concept and neat ideas, but didn't have the money to invest in thinking things through and developing a clear vision and tight scripts. The fourth episode was an awkward mess and the plot progression has been really jerky. I guess I'm mostly just sad because the ideas are so great - but the execution has been disappointing.

Also, is anyone else noticing horrible CGI whenever the spaceship is in real-world shots? Like its very low-res and the edges have no anti-aliasing like an old video game.

That's pretty much every show right now, given what's going on with all the SFX houses. There's even some stuff on Westworld this season that's not great.

And I swear I'm not some rapid dog for this show -- episodes two and five are the ones I'd criticise in terms of their structure / edit -- but I thought the fourth was clearly progressing its ideas about the toxic spread of doubt among the Luners, and did this by spending a lot of time focusing on Paul and Maite (the most certain of the Luners we've met) and using that to express the growing divide between them and the rest of the moon.

I'd be interested in hearing why the episode didn't work for you though, if only for the sake of conversation.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don't really feel like the CGI matters in a show like this, the characters and the world building are what I find refreshing. And I think Dominic Monaghan does a really good job in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This is probably a fairly low budget show seeing as it is almost entirely just shot in the woods.

There sure is a lot of stuff up in the air going into the finale.