Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Randalor posted:

I love how this sparked a huge debate about how "Nintendo obviously mistranslated his name and its supposed to be Errol/Ellor/whateverthefuck" and it turns out that there was a mistranslation... on his friend's name, which is supposed to be Bug. It's a Bug and Error in a video game :buddy:

Heath posted:

I was sure it was Errol for years

Interestingly, it's pretty much impossible to mix up Errol and Error due to how the Japanese syllabary works. 'Error' is e-ra-(a), ending with an extended vowel sound. Meanwhile 'Errol' ends with a fairly pronounced L which would have made it e-ro-ru. So names that end in a trailing vowel sound like Ellor or Ella are possible but Errol is not.

For the same reasons, Japanese makes it literally impossible infer the "correct" English spelling without supplementary materials, so don't blame the translators at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

RillAkBea posted:

so don't blame the translators at least.

As far as I know, Tomato from Legends of Localization was the first person who actually sat down and looked at the actual scripts. Before that, it was just "known" that there was a mistake with the translation, despite the only proof being "Huh, Error is kind of a funny name". Hell, I remember at one time there was a running belief that it was the game saying there was an error with his name and that it was something completely different. The late 80's/early 90's were a different time.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Heath posted:

I think there wasn't really a solid idea of what "a sequel" to a game ought to look like. Would people really just want more of the same? (Turns out, yes)

I recall reading in EGM or something in the olden times about how Nintendo of America would reject games for US release specifically because they were too similar to their predecessors. At least, that's what I recall about why most of the Final Fantasy games never made it here, but it certainly doesn't explain why we got all six NES Megaman games.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

raditts posted:

I recall reading in EGM or something in the olden times about how Nintendo of America would reject games for US release specifically because they were too similar to their predecessors. At least, that's what I recall about why most of the Final Fantasy games never made it here, but it certainly doesn't explain why we got all six NES Megaman games.

Capcom, Konami and Technos being big enough names in the gaming ecosphere at that time, that when they want to release a new game similar to an old game, you say "Yes sir, how many copies would you like?"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Randalor posted:

That's fair. When the NES came out, RPGs were still in the early days in general. I think Final Fantasy was the first console RPG that both had a wide range of stats to keep track of AND all of your stats were able to increase by leveling up, which ended up becoming the more-or-less standard for RPGs, so dropping the leveling system and having your actions dictate your increases doesn't seem as radical a change. Plus it gave us Saga and Saga 2, two of the best Gameboy games ever made.

Not really. First, most RPGs before Final Fantasy had stats increase on level up. One of the two granddaddies that JRPGs spawned from, Wizardry, had that as a core mechanic in 1981 and Wiz 1 reached the Famicom only four days after Final Fantasy.

As for variety of stats, really it's only Dragon Quest and a few games that followed it in the time between DQ1's release and FF1's that stripped stats down to attack, defense, HP, and MP. Most RPGs were still taking direct inspiration from D&D at the time and so had six stats.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Welp, I did it. Just beat the game without dying once. There were a couple of close calls, but I managed somehow.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Meaty Ore posted:

Welp, I did it. Just beat the game without dying once. There were a couple of close calls, but I managed somehow.

Congratulations. You have completed your journey and are an adult now, as described in this thread's OP. Act responsibly from now on please.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

raditts posted:

Final fantasy 2 and 3 didn't make it stateside because the super fami/SNES came out. Wasn't seen as being worthwhile to translate and release at the time. There's a lot of work involved in translating text heavy games on older systems, not including the translation itself. And Nasir moved on to secret of mana.

No idea why 5 didn't ship. We got everything after that.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
They called it Final Fantasy EXTREME, but even then it was

TOO

HARD

CORRRRRE :black101:

b-teams get the job of hacking in another language into a codebase that was never meant to take it.
Apparently staff wasn’t really available, and a translation wasn’t planned because it wasn’t a priority so… IIRC it slipped through the cracks, I guess. The non JP market is a kind of afterthought for most developers, especially RPGs.

Nintendo wants SNES publishers to pay up front and eat the unsold goods, so FF IV sales are really only limited to a few hundred thousand.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I couldn't find a Zelda megathread in Retro and the only one I saw in VG is for TotK, so I'll post this here, I guess.

In light of another Zelda game being released that I can't play because I don't have the hardware, I've decided to revisit most of the ones I have played. Only this time, I'll be completing their sets from RetroAchievements.org. I'm skipping the N64 games for now. Z1 and Z2 are complete.

In Z1 there were cheevos for swordless runs of both quests. Something I'd heard extensively about over the years but never tried myself until recently. To my surprise, I think, overall, that 2nd quest was easier than the 1st. In the 1st quest, you have to get the Flute by bombing 2 rooms of blue Darknuts, since the only other weapon that can hurt them without a sword is the Magic Wand. Which might not be possible to get without both bomb capacity upgrades, since Wizzrobes can only be hurt by bombs, and one of the upgrades is locked behind the Flute. Anyway, back to the Darknuts: there's a glitch where they can block the bomb blast if you place them while facing their shields. They get knocked back and flash but take no damage. So basically, you need to plant them at odd angles. It was really hard to train myself to do that. Going in level 5 with 8 bombs max and clearing the first room (5 Darknuts) wasn't too bad. You actually get 11 by saving the pickup from the Gibdo in the previous room. Why not 12? 1 bomb needs to be saved to open the bomb upgrade room afterwards to refill. The 2nd room has 6 Darknuts. Clearing both rooms back-to-back took me around 15 attempts before I finally got it.

Level 9 was kinda rough. Again, the bomb max of 16 was quite a handicap, since it's the only way to kill Wizzrobes without a sword, plus having to bomb a lot of walls. It took several trips to clear a path to the end. But that was somewhat my fault, though: I got both the Red Ring and Silver Arrows, neither of which were necessary to pop the achievement (just getting inside Ganon's room is the goal). Whoops.

There was nothing of that sort in the 2nd quest. The early game was a little harder than the 1st quest, since the first thing I did was rush the graveyard and other places beyond the Lost Woods for a heart container, some rupees, and the Power Bracelet. Then it went: Boomerang (lv 1) -> Flute (lv 2) -> Ladder (lv 6) -> Wand (lv 8). Just ducking in, getting the items, then leaving. All of those items are surprisingly accessible. They're not locked deep behind roomfuls of Darknuts or anything. Plus, in a swordless run, you don't have to worry about red bubbles at all. And 2nd quest level 9 was way easier, assuming you know the way directly to Ganon.

Anyway, Zelda II! For the record, I love Z2. From the first time I played it, I think I was age 12 or 13. Reading about the concept in Nintendo Power was highly intriguing, and when I finally got a copy of the game, it did not disappoint. The whole Dragon-Quest-like-overworld-with-side-scrolling-action-zones thing really scratches an itch for me.

I've cleared this game dozens of times over the years, and the RetroAchievements set provided some mild challenges. According to the point totals (cheevos are worth 1-5, 10, 25, 50, or 100 points each), the 1CC (no continues) run, at 50 points, is presumably the hardest one, right? Nope. Got it my first try. I used New Game+ for it and had plenty of lives remaining at the end. The Non-NG+-No-Candle-Or-Cross Run, where I frequently got accosted by hordes of invisible monsters, ended up being easier than I expected, after employing a helpful glitch (NG+ XP transfer) and strats from fellow achievement hunters (ie, save most 1ups for the endgame and use Fairy to escape all random encounters in the Valley of Death). Getting the Hammer that way was kinda rough, but I managed it on the first attempt. I'd say the hardest was Minimal Spells: beat the game without the Shield, Life, Fire, or Spell spells. In addition to being extra-squishy, the penultimate palace (Three-Eye-Rock) was a pain because I did not have the Magic Key. A number of the boss achievements (kill them without taking any damage) were difficult. Helmethead from the 2nd palace was the worst, and I did it last on NG+ so I could 2-hit him. I tried it on all previous playthroughs of the game, but none were successful. Thunderbird was really tough, Shadow Link took a number of attempts (I had to change my tactics to not rely on autofire), and Gooma was a real butt-clencher.

Initially, I planned to skip A Link To The Past, since I already had the badge for it, but they just released a new revision for it last month, with a lot more to do. So I'm doing that now. There's some interesting stuff in the new cheevos, but I'm surprised they didn't make a low % clear, where you only pick up stuff you absolutely need, and no optional upgrades. I remember doing this on real hardware as a teenager, from the Super Power Card challenge, and it was a steep hill to climb. Lv 2 sword, no armor or shield upgrades, no bottles, no ½ magic, only the heart containers you get from bosses (because they are not skippable). That would've been a good 50-pointer. Oh well.

After that, it's 5 portable Zeldas in a row: LA, OaS, OaA, LA DX, Minish Cap. I'm not replaying Wind Waker because achievements for GameCube games are not currently supported. I've played no Zelda games past that. Suppose I could try Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks on DS (those do have cheevos), but I don't have a vertical-oriented monitor and I'm not sure how playable 2 little stacked screens will be on my setup (24" monitor). There's also achievement sets for the GBA ports of Z1-Z3. I have a feeling I'm going to be tired of Zelda once I get through the portables I'm familiar with.

One last thing about Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. In case you weren't aware, there's a fangame of it for PC and it is incredible. I've played most of the way through a previous version. I'd highly recommend anyone who likes Z2 to check it out: https://hoverbat.itch.io/ziiaol

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
^ Those sure are some impressive achievements in my eyes. :stare: Congrats!