Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What Scenario will you start with?
Prehistory (Caveman)
Imperial China (Martial Arts Master)
Edo Japan (Ninja)
Wild West (Cowboy)
Present Day (Wrasslin)
Near Future (Mecha)
Future (Sci Fi)
View Results

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Yeah, it's definitely worth the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Sorry, to clarify: is it worth the effort to do both the normal ending and the true ending, or only the true ending because there's nothing unique in the normal ending that you won't also get in the true ending?

I understand that the true ending has extra stuff; what I haven't been able to find is whether the normal ending has different stuff, or if it's all the same except that it stops prematurely. If it's all the same except that it stops prematurely, I'm not going to bother doing it and I'll just skip straight to the true ending.

edit: thank you!

surf rock fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 19, 2022

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

surf rock posted:

Sorry, to clarify: is it worth the effort to do both the normal ending and the true ending, or only the true ending because there's nothing unique in the normal ending that you won't also get in the true ending?

Feel free to go ahead and do the true ending; the normal ending is basically just a truncated version of it.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Done, 99%'d the game. The only thing I skipped was the hidden boss that requires 100 flees/teleports in the final chapter; I did ~20 and felt my soul leaving my body and decided to just finish the game while it was still fun, ha. I was going to do the same thing with the cola bottle and skip that but I got lucky and received it on my first try. I only ended up using it as an accessory, though; as an item it was too powerful. It's funny given how useless most of the damage items are. Also, another very specific complaint, gently caress the cosmic equipment. It was either a downgrade or sidegrade from my existing gear; what a ripoff. Anyway...

When I was a kid, JRPGs were my favorite genre, and I played most of them between the SNES era to the Gamecube era. Over time, I fell out of love with the genre because of the repetitive storylines and combat systems as well as the timedrain of grinding. The last one I played was Earthbound on the Wii U virtual console probably 5+ years ago. I dunno why the trailer for this one caught my eye, but I'm glad it did. It feels like a sister game to Chrono Trigger, and I really enjoyed it.

Ranking the scenarios from best-to-worst in terms of story/characters:

1.) Distant Future
2.) Middle Ages
3.) Wild West
4.) Imperial China
5.) Near Future
6.) Twilight of Edo Japan
7.) Present Day
8.) Prehistory

Ranking the scenarios from best-to-worst in terms of gameplay:

1.) Present Day
2.) Twilight of Edo Japan
3.) Imperial China
4.) Middle Ages
5.) Near Future
6.) Wild West
7.) Prehistory
8.) Distant Future

Final party:

Lei Kugo (lead)
Pogo
Oboromaru
Akira

Sundown blows in combat; hurricane was his only good ability and I had horrible luck with it so it almost never did more damage than other people's ultimate abilities. Cube felt like a worse Akira and I didn't want to farm robotic enhancements to help him stay alive. I did like using Masaru but grew too annoyed with his lack of range to keep him in the main party. My party felt like goddamn powerhouses between Pogo's ability to annihilate anything physically, Oboromaru and Akira's ability to annihilate anything with special attacks, and Lei's ability to do both. Good poo poo! Very satisfying.

Also, I did not expect that during the Middle Ages chapter that Oersted would choose to become Lord of the Dark. I assumed Streibough wasn't dead and figured that he would curse or possess Oersted at the end instead. Basically the whole chapter I was just kind of chuckling at how loving horrible this dude's life was and how it just kept getting worse and worse and worse, but didn't put 2 and 2 together until Alethea started cussing him out and killed herself. It did make me regret the time I spent getting Oersted up to level 16, but still, I really liked the direction the story went and how much of a fakeout Uranus's dying words turned out to be. Dramatic!!! It would've been nice to get a Force-ghost version of Oersted during the running scene or the cliff scene during the credits. Like, an actual happy ending isn't realistic for him, but that would be kind of a make-good since he got the Darth Vader redemption at the end.

The new version of Megalomania is fine, but I think the original was significantly better. I had no idea Undertale pulled that song and (very slightly) remixed it. It was clear that Undertale was heavily inspired by Earthbound when I played it, but the level of influence that this game had almost seems even greater, which is wild given that he must've been playing a fan translation.

Square Enix are totally loving nuts if they're not remaking Chrono Trigger in this style. When they do, I hope they do so on the Switch successor or the PS5 or something so there isn't slowdown with particle effects and that kind of thing.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 20, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

surf rock posted:

The new version of Megalomania is fine, but I think the original was significantly better. I had no idea Undertale pulled that song and (very slightly) remixed it. It was clear that Undertale was heavily inspired by Earthbound when I played it, but the level of influence that this game had almost seems even greater, which is wild given that he must've been playing a fan translation.

Square Enix are totally loving nuts if they're not remaking Chrono Trigger in this style. When they do, I hope they do so on the Switch successor or the PS5 or something so there isn't slowdown with particle effects and that kind of thing.

I was with you up until here, the remastered version is a lot more interesting. :colbert:

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

I was with you up until here, the remastered version is a lot more interesting. :colbert:

Wait, I'm dumb. When I heard that the SNES version had been the basis for Megalovania in Undertale, I tried looking up that SNES version, but I think what I found is a remix someone did of that where they started it with the keyboardy bit from the beginning of Megalovania and then transitioned into the old Megalomania.

So, every time I heard Megalomania in the remake, I was like "this is cool, but why did they cut off the best part from the beginning? :smith: "

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

yeah, Megalovania is "INSPIRED" by Megalomania, but they don't really have a similar melody at all

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Frankly I'm not sure if Toby Fox took much more than the name from Megalomania.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

https://twitter.com/dwn040/status/1552273447484813313

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)
I Lived, Laughed, and Loved at the LAL collab at Square-Enix's Artnia cafe in Japan.

:unsmith: I withdrew a 10k yen bill out at an ATM purely for this photo

I'm waiting for some kind of news about the concert in 2023, but I assume it's also gonna be an absolute nightmare for a foreigner to try and get a ticket.

Edit: Here's the whole album of food & the OG + remake gallery on display. Unfortunately I didn't realize my photo of the prehistory was busted until I got home.

miasmacloud fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 24, 2022

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

miasmacloud posted:

I Lived, Laughed, and Loved at the LAL collab at Square-Enix's Artnia cafe in Japan.

Oh hell yes, I love the official artwork for Live A Live. The three color images were drawn by the mangaka that did the character designs for those respective chapters. The only digital upload I've found of the image for Cube's chapter was too dark to easily make out the fine details in the back, so it's nice to get a decent look at Kato and Darth. Yumi Tamura's style is very endearing, it feels so quintessentially "early nineties manga/anime", with the broad shoulders, narrow faces, and feathered hair. And the taiyaki in the parfait is a spot-on recreation of the taiyaki used as Akira's menu cursor back on the SNES (I've not see too many taiyaki, myself, so I'm not sure if that's just how they all look or if they specifically put effort into making this one match up).

As someone who has many times gazed longingly at the translated menu for the Kirby Cafe, I went ahead and found a site with a menu listing for the collab for us all to pine for (aside from miasmacloud, you lucky son of a gun), and here it is.

EDIT: Also, they apparently slipped in a tiny bit of new lore, as they've actually named the girl from the peach bun gag in the Kung Fu chapter. Her name is Hui Lan, turns out.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 24, 2022

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)
Aw, poo poo, whoops, I thought I linked my whole album originally, but here's more photos with everything I ordered and photos from the displays in the cafe: https://imgur.com/a/L4EtIbs Aoyama's artwork for Oboromaru's chapter is by far the coolest to see in person. I don't think any photo could do it justice, the colors and the texture on the paper are radically different in person.

EclecticTastes posted:

And the taiyaki in the parfait is a spot-on recreation of the taiyaki used as Akira's menu cursor back on the SNES (I've not see too many taiyaki, myself, so I'm not sure if that's just how they all look or if they specifically put effort into making this one match up).

They all look like that! They use a mold specifically for making the fish shape.

EclecticTastes posted:

EDIT: Also, they apparently slipped in a tiny bit of new lore, as they've actually named the girl from the peach bun gag in the Kung Fu chapter. Her name is Hui Lan, turns out.

Ah, I think that webpage isn't as familiar with the game. The name of the Kung Fu dish is the Hoi restaurant's peach buns, and the description is that the Hoi restaurant guy made them in honor of the roshi and the 3 disciples. It's written ホイ飯店 (hoi han ten). I guess they tried to read it as a name?

Here are all of the dish descriptions:

quote:

[Middle Ages] The "Repay my loyalty in death" drink: The famous scene is re-enacted on top of the glass! The cassis and butterfly pea tea represent the gloomy purple atmosphere of Archon's Roost, and the blackberry and raspberry garnish resembles Joshua Tree Fruit. Whose loyalty are you repaying after you drink this?

[Middle Ages] The "Repay my loyalty in death ~with alcohol~" drink: This alcoholic version with sparkling wine added-in helps you continue repaying your loyalty in death. The drink gives the image of a fierce battle, with the berry jelly alluding to its unfortunate outcome. The lemon fruit juice lets you taste how truly bitter and sour this world is.

[Distant Future] Cube Cappuccino Art: A cappuccino with art of Cube. The flavors include cappuccino, hazelnut, choco mint, chocolate, caramel, and honey. "Would you be so kind as to make me a coffee?" asks Darthe. Dip your tongue in to find out if it's bitter or not.

[Prehistory] Pogo's Wild Bone Meat: Wild bone meat that's styled like it's from a primitive era! Inspired by Pogo's design, the meat lies on a leopard print consisting of mustard sauce + worcestershire sauce plus an assortment of greens! Gobble it up with Yum Bite and live your life surrounded by love! "Lo-Lo-Lo... LOOOVE!"

[Near Future] Akira's Taiyaki Parfait: Huh, is this a special at Lawless Matsu's taiyaki stand? A taiyaki parfait made with custard and mini matcha cake, plus fresh fruits (such as strawberry and grape) adorning the main taiyaki. Now, the going rate on this taiyaki parfait is... eh, don't worry about it. "Let's finish this, Matsu!" (When Tokita posted this on Twitter, he mentioned the additional things in the parfait were the favorite foods of everyone at Bright Sparks.)

[Present Day] Takahara's Protein Drink: Masaru likes to drink this custom protein drink every day between his training sessions! The mango flavor charges his hot-blooded passion! It comes adorned with a ribbon resembling a hachimaki headband - it helps you "Focus"! "Hyaaaaah!" (Masaru's Focus is like, "Charging Your Fighting Spirit" in Japanese.)

[Bakumatsu] Ode Castle Tenmusu and Castella: Two gourmet items from the Bakumatsu period, served together on one plate - Tenmusu styled after the shachihoko that adorn the towers of Ode Castle, and a Castella dessert. Eat all of it to restore your HP. Onwards to 100 kills. "As you command."

[China] Hoi Restaurant's Earthen Heart Peach Buns: The black sesame ice cream Shifu watches over the three peach bun disciples, each with their own sauce (passionfruit, raspberry, and matcha). The owner of the Hoi Restaurant created this regional dish as a show of gratitude and respect to the Earthen Heart school. "True strength comes from the heart."

[Wild West] The Crystal Saloon Milkshake: The milk drink offered at Crystal Saloon in the town of Success has been modified into a milkshake style drink so that even Billy can drink it. There's chocolate sauce, banana, mint, and Sundown's 10 gallon hat on top. "Hmm, that goes down real well. Barkeep, another!" (I assume that milk not being kid friendly to begin with is a reference to the old Live A Live A Live concert menu where "Sundown's Milk" [yes, that was seriously the name] was a mixture of Bailey's Irish Cream and Vodka.)

Coincidentally, I went to the Kirby Cafe in the Fukuoka Canal City mall as well.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Live A Live was so good.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

yoooo those pics are win!!! :eyepop:

i didn't even know LAL got a cafe (well, kinda)

also are some of those artworks all new?? never seen em scanned; its really cool the og ver of cubes chap art is easier to see than the scans, its prob wonky scan settings or smth

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

miasmacloud posted:

Coincidentally, I went to the Kirby Cafe in the Fukuoka Canal City mall as well.

You know this has really given me a fresh appreciation for Live A Live, now that I can truly comprehend the depth and intensity of Streibough's envy.

Jokes aside, good show taking all those pics for the thread. Any commentary on how everything tasted?

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)

Booky posted:

yoooo those pics are win!!! :eyepop:

i didn't even know LAL got a cafe (well, kinda)

also are some of those artworks all new?? never seen em scanned; its really cool the og ver of cubes chap art is easier to see than the scans, its prob wonky scan settings or smth

The new ones are all of the pencil sketches - those are Naoki Ikushima's sketches for the remake.

EclecticTastes posted:

You know this has really given me a fresh appreciation for Live A Live, now that I can truly comprehend the depth and intensity of Streibough's envy.

Jokes aside, good show taking all those pics for the thread. Any commentary on how everything tasted?

Imo, Pogo and Masaru's dishes were the best. With Pogo's, the mustard + worcestershire sauce went pretty well with the chicken. They ran out of the ingredients for Pogo's dish (twice?) and changed it to be easier to make. I didn't order the new version when I went back on the 24th, but it looked like it had been changed to use 2 sausages instead. And Masaru's drink was super flavorful. Was like a mango smoothie garnished with cute star shaped pieces of mango. The middle ages drink was also good cause it was kinda like a blackcurrant soda, but because of the overly dramatic serving glass you took 1-2 sips and were done with it.

Oboro dish, mixed opinion. I liked the castella because it's that kind of Eastern Asian dessert that's, you know... "not too sweet (complimentary)", but the tenmusu (rice ball w/shrimp tempura) was ???. I think you can kinda tell from my photo, but it was overly stuffed with rice. Then the nori on the outside and the tempura on the inside were both kinda soft. Idk, I'm used to nori being more pleasantly crunchy (e.g. battle ship-style sushi, or how convenience store onigiri has the wrapper separating the nori from the rice specifically so it doesn't get soggy before someone buys it). I'm not sure if tenmusu is always soft like that or not.

The other 3 were all desserts. Akira's parfait was a metric ton of sweet and sugar. I simultaneously loved and hated it because it had stuff I like in it, but it was just... so much. Like there was a piece of matcha cake propping up the taiyaki, and the thing that looks like chocolate in the bottom of the glass was actually a serving of pudding lol. Sundown's milkshake had a banana-ish taste. It was a pretty basic milkshake with a cute hat - liked it, but it had a ton of ice in it. The kung fu dish, I'm not a huge fan of azuki bean, but the fruit sauces that came with the buns helped. The sesame ice cream seemed kind of random, but I also like sesame ice cream, so, no complaints there.

When the collab was first announced, I was hoping they would also have some kind of Odio-themed dish with grapes, but alas. Still, I liked the little garnishes the dishes had, like the halved grape on a peach bun for Yun's bandana, the pistachio on the middle ages drink, and Masaru's cup having a hachimaki. Helped made it feel "themed".

As far as those themed restaurants go (I've been to like 9 between my 2 visits to Japan :ohdear:), I thought this was one of the better ones. Like Japan has a lot of great food in general, so this is more of a question of, "is it fun to sit around listening to video game music while eating themed food for 90 minutes?" And honestly yeah it's kinda nice. Like, The Archon's Roost BGM kicked in when I first stepped into Artnia. Perfect.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
So if "I don't own a Switch/I'll wait for it to come to Steam/PlayStation like Octopath did" was your big reason for holding off on this good news! It's coming to PS4/PS5 and Steam on April 27th.

https://youtu.be/SjQPmA-QmeU

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)
They are also releasing a 2nd Collector's Edition for the ps4/ps5/steam version: https://store.jp.square-enix.com/sp/livealive_ce2/index.html

I like all of the standees of the characters.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

the games dropped on steam/ps4/ps5 now!!

apparently theres still a demo too!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Booky posted:

the games dropped on steam/ps4/ps5 now!!

apparently theres still a demo too!

I already got the platinum for it on ps5!

:getin:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Finally.

I've been waiting for it to come to Steam because I wanted achievements for it, played it for a bit on a Switch emulator but stopped.

e: I also played the fan translation before, I know what I'm getting into. Still really excited, good to support SE for it too.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:06 on May 4, 2023

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)

I won a first wave concert ticket for the Live A Live A Live 29th Anniversary Concert, which was this past Sunday in Hachioji. The arrangement of Masaru's bgm went very, very hard. Was not sure how they were going to do the sci fi themes, but the percussion player did work during them. Other highlight for me was the live version of Armageddon. Also, Hironobu Kageyama is a great at live shows. And Yoko Shimomura joined the band on keyboard for the encore (the battle medley).

The merch line also had a preview of the new Cube plush that Square is making.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

That's so loving cool

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

miasmacloud posted:

I won a first wave concert ticket for the Live A Live A Live 29th Anniversary Concert, which was this past Sunday in Hachioji. The arrangement of Masaru's bgm went very, very hard. Was not sure how they were going to do the sci fi themes, but the percussion player did work during them. Other highlight for me was the live version of Armageddon. Also, Hironobu Kageyama is a great at live shows. And Yoko Shimomura joined the band on keyboard for the encore (the battle medley).

The merch line also had a preview of the new Cube plush that Square is making.

I am at once both happy for your good fortune and also just, just absolutely seething with envy, as is the norm with your posts ITT. Joking aside, it's great that someone's able to report on all this dope poo poo for us, seeing as we're never going to see anything remotely like it in the US.

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)

EclecticTastes posted:

I am at once both happy for your good fortune and also just, just absolutely seething with envy, as is the norm with your posts ITT.
:smug:

EclecticTastes posted:

Joking aside, it's great that someone's able to report on all this dope poo poo for us, seeing as we're never going to see anything remotely like it in the US.
Square-Enix mentioned something about recording the show, so there might be a video released later! There's also a playlist they made that of the tracks that were played live, using the SFC versions of the songs: https://sqex.lnk.to/RSC9wE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

woah that rules!!!!