Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saunders child
Jul 27, 2022
I got into the franchise back in 1999, but find that the series is hard to understand now, having gotten so convoluted by the next entry. And while I do think RE4 is a great action game, it never really felt like it was even trying to be much of a follow up to the other games, apart from containing a few forced-in little references.

They also do way too many remakes and change things, so they don't feel like the original games at all. In the RE2 remake for example, you don't go to the gun store until much later on, and they left out iconic enemies like the spiders. They replaced them with these 'G' mutants in the sewers, which just looked dope as hell. Then in the RE3 remake, they gave Nemesis the ability to be like Batman and disappear through ceilings. Not to mention all of the locations you no longer go inside of, like the clock tower. Although you do on one occasion, battle Nemesis near to where it is situated, so it's still visible.

The other day, I saw so many people bashing the new Netflix series. It's that bad, eh? Kind of serves Capcom right for going back to Raccoon City yet again. For there's no need to. They blew up the city in RE3, which was released in 1998. Yet every so often, we have a new side story, a movie reboot, or something else, all about Raccoon City. It's like, why not just move the series ahead in some other way? It's too oversaturated now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

No, I think the series is in a renaissance if anything. I've been doing a grand playthrough of the series over the course of the last year, most of the games for the first time, and the nadir of the series was a decade ago, around the time of 6. RE7 cut a lot of the fat and refocused the series on horror. REmake 2 is arguably the best game in the franchise, spiders or not. REmake3 is disappointing in comparison, but still fun imo.

E: as for the Netflix show, there have been lovely live action adaptations of this series since 2002.

The Saunders child
Jul 27, 2022
I thought it was funny in the RE2 remake, how Leon shoots a zombie in the head in one of the game's earliest cutscenes and it dies instantly. Yet in the midst of gameplay itself, getting a 'head pop' moment is not something that occurs often. :D

The original RE2 is my personal favorite. It was the game that got me into survival horror overall (cheers, sis), way back in 1999. But I think the genre got stale after RE4 came out during 2005. Not that I don't think RE4 is otherwise great, because it is. But it would have been cool if Capcom had bothered to have provided one final game about Umbrella going down first. Then I reckon RE4 could have been released just after it, to like, indicate a new direction was underway for the series, and there would be no doubt in anyone's mind that the original story wasn't wrapped up pretty decisively. But then they had to release a Wii shooter "The Umbrella Chronicles" a few years later to right the wrongs, and it really wasn't that great...

All in all, I'd say every franchise has the good and the bad entries. But I'm looking forward to the remake next year. Although if I have any bother getting myself a PS5 before the end of 2022, I'll probably have to settle for buying the Xbox Series S, or X. You know? Whatever version of it plays the physical copies.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It's in a pretty good spot right now even if I don't know what the gently caress they're gonna do for 9, and I doubt they do either.

The Saunders child
Jul 27, 2022

Justin_Brett posted:

It's in a pretty good spot right now even if I don't know what the gently caress they're gonna do for 9, and I doubt they do either.

I bet Dusk Golem on Twitter probably knows. He is the guy that leaks all of this RE related news that publishers keep reporting on.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I think the biggest problem is 4 was an amazing game that also was a sort of devils deal to revitalize the series; Capcom then decided to double down on the shittiest possible aspects for 5 and especially 6, and the receptions were so bad it almost killed the franchise.

7 was a beautiful return to form. 8 was a good game but it had the same kind of problem 4 (its obvious inspiration) had where it was quite clearly a different type of game entirely that had the RE label slapped on to move units. 8 in particular has nothing to identify it as a RE game until you find like a note and a certain carving right before the end. It’s a little absurd.

The Saunders child
Jul 27, 2022
Yep. That's precisely how I feel too...

I think RE5 is a great game to play in co-op. The single player mode isn't that good, but it's a fine action game where you get to lay waste to so many things in your path. And RE6 just isn't good at all. However, I do think RE6 is somehow more indicative of what RE normally offers up, than 4 and 5 achieves, because it has zombies running amok in a city that has been overtaken by a virus. It has that RE 'something' about it, whereas 4 and 5 are set in villages, and the human enemies have parasites controlling their minds.

The franchise didn't have the Las Plagas featured beforehand. It was always to do with incidents involving viruses and zombies, as well as other enemies like the Tyrants, Hunters, Lickers, and so on and so forth.

Recently, I subscribed to Netflix again to see the new RE live action series. I'm not racist, but I firmly believe that Leon S. Kennedy is really NOT meant to be Indo-Canadian, nor is Albert Wesker supposed to be a black man.

This woke nonsense in gaming today is getting out of hand. Not only that, Wesker looks a lot like the Marvel superhero, Blade. That comes across as being so stupid. But I heard Lance Reddick is great to watch in other movies, so it's not like people are knocking his acting ability, who he is, or anything like that. He just isn't a great choice for playing Wesker (and his clones). Plus, I'm just tired of Capcom going back to Raccoon City, even if this show is set in the year 2036 in a rebuilt Raccoon City. They've also got this thing about going back to 1998 as well, which they've been doing with all of these crappy spin off games and whatnot. It must be a fetish of theirs.

Is there a name for that sort of fetish? They could base the series in another city, in a different year, but 1998 is the only year they seem to care about...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

The Saunders child posted:

Recently, I subscribed to Netflix again to see the new RE live action series. I'm not racist, but I firmly believe that Leon S. Kennedy is really NOT meant to be Indo-Canadian, nor is Albert Wesker supposed to be a black man.

This woke nonsense in gaming today is getting out of hand. Not only that, Wesker looks a lot like the Marvel superhero, Blade. That comes across as being so stupid.

Really cool post here. Can’t wait to see where your posting career takes you

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
who the gently caress cares about the race of the characters lmao.

I think resident evil is doing great, the games are better than ever. RE3 remake was a bit of a fumble but I suspect there's a development story there. RE2 remake was excellent, 7/8 have been huge hits for the series. They really struggle with offshoot games and multiplayer excursions, and their media properties are kind of awful but so was RE1's video stuff. I like it, it's awful in a way that I dig like the Mila films.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Look I think gender and race palette swaps are the laziest form of pandering in a lot of cases for spin-offs and reboots, but Lance Reddick can do whatever the gently caress he wants. This is also why Idris Elba should be Bond.

I’ve read that 1-3 and 5 are supposed to be canon for the series. So, the issue with Wesker, and one I assume they’ll address at some point in the back half, is how we get from “Albert Wesker, former genetic experiment turned brilliant scientist turned mole in local SWAT team turned crazed mutant with matrix powers who gets Superman punched to death in a volcano” to “Albert Wesker normalish guy and okay father with moral reservations about the potential side effects of a pharmaceutical drug.”

I’m only halfway through the series and it really feels like two bad CW shows meshed together. The frequent, intrusive music choices add to that, and are such blatant “maybe the Zoomers will watch this if we throw a Bill Eyelash song in or two.” If not for wanting to see how they manage to actually tie the games in, I’d have bounced off by the end of ep 2.

The Paul Anderson movies are just atrocious vehicles for his hot wife. The most recent live action movie had its heart in the right place but ultimately was executed as of a bunch of community college film program kids were given the rights to make an RE using equipment from the AV closet and student volunteers.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

re6 is the best game in the series and it isn't particularly close

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Yep. That's precisely how I feel too...

I think RE5 is a great game to play in co-op. The single player mode isn't that good, but it's a fine action game where you get to lay waste to so many things in your path. And RE6 just isn't good at all. However, I do think RE6 is somehow more indicative of what RE normally offers up, than 4 and 5 achieves, because it has zombies running amok in a city that has been overtaken by a virus. It has that RE 'something' about it, whereas 4 and 5 are set in villages, and the human enemies have parasites controlling their minds.

The franchise didn't have the Las Plagas featured beforehand. It was always to do with incidents involving viruses and zombies, as well as other enemies like the Tyrants, Hunters, Lickers, and so on and so forth.

This woke nonsense in gaming today is getting out of hand. Not only that, Wesker looks a lot like the Marvel superhero, Blade. That comes across as being so stupid. But I heard Lance Reddick is great to watch in other movies, so it's not like people are knocking his acting ability, who he is, or anything like that. He just isn't a great choice for playing Wesker (and his clones). Plus, I'm just tired of Capcom going back to Raccoon City, even if this show is set in the year 2036 in a rebuilt Raccoon City. They've also got this thing about going back to 1998 as well, which they've been doing with all of these crappy spin off games and whatnot. It must be a fetish of theirs.

Is there a name for that sort of fetish? They could base the series in another city, in a different year, but 1998 is the only year they seem to care about...

Who gives a poo poo what race Wesker is? Can you not actually suspend disbelief that this might be some alternate universe or some poo poo if it's that important to you?

Like, the RE Netflix series isn't award-winning television, but it's good trash TV that was surprisingly better than the movies were (and I freaking loved the movies because of how bad they were). I did not have a care in the world in this series that Wesker was black. Not a one. It was surprisingly decent, lots of zombie death, cool lore cameos like Lisa Trevor!!!!!, and I didn't spend every watching moment going "Oh my God Wesker is Black? This cannot do!! MY IMMERSION"

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

I've been playing through most of the mainline games (currently on Village, and I have... thoughts) and I think I get what you're saying OP.

But at the same time, I think the games are still solid and do things that you can't really find elsewhere, at least not in a big studio game. The story is really dumb but also like, it's always been dumb, ya know?

Brain dumping a tier list of what I've played so far off the top of my head:

Excellent games, all-timers: REmake1, RE4, RE7, REmake2

Pretty good: REmake3, what I've played of Village so far (just got to the weird mutant baby that chases you around)

Hated so much I uninstalled after an hour or so: RE5

Not played yet, might never play: RE6

I'm not counting the originals even though I'd like to revisit them at some point. More just trying to focus on the most accessible/modern ones in 2022.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Who gives a poo poo what race Wesker is? Can you not actually suspend disbelief that this might be some alternate universe or some poo poo if it's that important to you?

Like, the RE Netflix series isn't award-winning television, but it's good trash TV that was surprisingly better than the movies were (and I freaking loved the movies because of how bad they were). I did not have a care in the world in this series that Wesker was black. Not a one. It was surprisingly decent, lots of zombie death, cool lore cameos like Lisa Trevor!!!!!, and I didn't spend every watching moment going "Oh my God Wesker is Black? This cannot do!! MY IMMERSION"

RE Netflix had its issues but honestly is some of the best Resident Evil media (movies/television in this category) we've gotten. Lance Reddick owned as Wesker and it had some pretty great callbacks.

I loved when they played Moonlight Sonata to find his emergency stash.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

I'm not racist, but

This woke nonsense in gaming today is getting out of hand.

Get out of here and don't come back.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

I've been playing through most of the mainline games (currently on Village, and I have... thoughts) and I think I get what you're saying OP.

But at the same time, I think the games are still solid and do things that you can't really find elsewhere, at least not in a big studio game. The story is really dumb but also like, it's always been dumb, ya know?

Brain dumping a tier list of what I've played so far off the top of my head:

Excellent games, all-timers: REmake1, RE4, RE7, REmake2

Pretty good: REmake3, what I've played of Village so far (just got to the weird mutant baby that chases you around)

Hated so much I uninstalled after an hour or so: RE5

Not played yet, might never play: RE6

I'm not counting the originals even though I'd like to revisit them at some point. More just trying to focus on the most accessible/modern ones in 2022.

5 sucks because they managed to take the bonkers success of 4 and decided to just full on turn it into the same sepia-toned COD military shooter as every other game in the mid to late oughts.

For some inexplicable reason, it is still the best selling game in the franchise, which is absurd.

6 is major league steaming trash that was so bad the reception to it forced Capcom to come full circle and make their survival horror game a survival horror game again. It’s worth a go in that light and as a curiosity, but man it’s a bad game.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Arrrthritis posted:

RE Netflix had its issues but honestly is some of the best Resident Evil media (movies/television in this category) we've gotten. Lance Reddick owned as Wesker and it had some pretty great callbacks.

I loved when they played Moonlight Sonata to find his emergency stash.

Does it eventually get good? I watched the first episode and got extremely bored.

wowzers :eyepop:

Judge Tesla posted:

Get out of here and don't come back.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Cowman posted:

Does it eventually get good? I watched the first episode and got extremely bored.

wowzers :eyepop:

Good? That's debatable

Enjoyable? Yes, I personally think so

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:

I'm not racist, but

This woke nonsense in gaming today is getting out of hand.

came here via the lepers colony, am
not disappointed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
It's weird resident evil seems like it should be a great setting for a film or a TV show or a game made after 2005 but they keep loving it up